Old July 14th 03, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

On the times that I've done it, I haven't always been able to get the train
numbers, but you'd think that GWR would be slightly lenient and if you has
a train number that proved you went from A to B, missed out the one from B
to C, and then has one from C to D, then it's hardly likely that you're
going to get accused of not getting a train between B & C !

Don't forget you also get to submit photos, video recordings, etc.. materal
as well which supports your claim. I think there's something in the rules
which just says "You must provide enough evidence..". i.e. enough to
satisfy Guinness.

If you knew someone 'in the know' though, surely there's a way to determine
a trains number on the day from the individual carriage number which you can
see inside each car? Each set gets a new number each day (and can change
throughout the day, I'm led to believe..), but this must also be recorded
somewhere by LU I would have thought, so you could go back and find out that
way.

Shepherd's Bush .. two seperate stations/entrances, ditto Hammersmith and
Edgware Road. I think Paddington is included in that because the platforms
aren't linked by an LU specific tunnel/corridor or something. Whatever,
it's in the rules.. and it's more likely that you'd have a route (because of
the H&C) that does them both then one that doesn't!

Geoff.
www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In article , Geoff
Marshall writes

See my webpages at www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/

A couple of quick questions.

How easy is it in practice to get each train's number from the front?
What happens when you arrive on the platform and the front of the train
in into the tunnel?

Is your list of "dual" stations still definitive?

2. Stations which are geographically separate and not linked but
which have the same name must each be visited.

This applies to Shepherds Bush, Edgware Road, Paddington and
Hammersmith. [All on the Hammersmith & City line!]

There was some recent discussion of Paddington, for example. What is it
about Paddington that makes it "more separate" than Kings Cross?

Old July 17th 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Geoff Marshall
writes
If you knew someone 'in the know' though, surely there's a way to determine
a trains number on the day from the individual carriage number which you can
see inside each car? Each set gets a new number each day (and can change
throughout the day, I'm led to believe..),

The train number for a given set should remain the same throughout the
day. There are three major exceptions to this:

(1) If a train is timetabled to stable at a depot for part of the day,
it could well be a different set that's brought out for the afternoon.
For example, the working timetable might say "train 234 start Farringdon
Sidings 0603, stable Hammersmith Depot 1012, start Hammersmith Depot
1631, stable Triangle 2250". In this case, the set that enters
Hammersmith at 1012 might not be the one that emerges at 1631. [If, on
the other hand, it says "Barking Siding 25E", it will probably be the
same set.]

(2) If a train fails in service, a replacement set may be brought out of
the depot. In this case, both sets will have carried the same number
(though only one should have it at a time for a non-trivial time[*]).

(3) If things are really messed up, the best way to get the job back
under control is to swap around some train numbers as trains are turned
back at intermediate stations. This obviously needs to be done with
great care.
[*] I can remember being on train 14 from Finchley Road to
Harrow-on-the-Hill, and another train 14 came up from the diveunder at
Wembley Park and paralleled us to Harrow; passengers were then
transferred from our train to the other one, and ours went into the
siding to return to Neasden Depot.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: