London Banter

-   -   Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3221-tube-drivers-involved-bombing.html)

Hobbayne July 9th 05 04:26 PM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those trains!
especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in his carriage
he must be in a terrible state!!

Richard J. July 9th 05 05:46 PM

Hobbayne wrote:
I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those
trains! especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in
his carriage he must be in a terrible state!!

On the contrary, there were a number of news reports that said that the
Piccadilly driver was able to lead some passengers from the front of the
first car forwards along the track to Russell Square. At
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...686310,00.html, it says
he used a belt as a tourniquet to stem bleeding from a passenger's
severe leg wound.

According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.
--
Richard J.

Robert Woolley July 9th 05 05:54 PM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:46:35 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Hobbayne wrote:
I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those
trains! especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in
his carriage he must be in a terrible state!!

On the contrary, there were a number of news reports that said that the
Piccadilly driver was able to lead some passengers from the front of the
first car forwards along the track to Russell Square. At
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...686310,00.html, it says
he used a belt as a tourniquet to stem bleeding from a passenger's
severe leg wound.

According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.

Erm I think you'll find the toruniquet was used by a Station Assistant
at Russell Square.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Richard J. July 9th 05 06:04 PM

wrote:

Hobbayne wrote:
I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those
trains! especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in
his carriage he must be in a terrible state!!

On the contrary, there were a number of news reports that said
that the Piccadilly driver was able to lead some passengers from
the front of the first car forwards along the track to Russell
Square. At
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...686310,00.html, it
says he used a belt as a tourniquet to stem bleeding from a
passenger's severe leg wound.

According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.

Erm I think you'll find the toruniquet was used by a Station
Assistant at Russell Square.

Possibly, but I was going by what The Times reported: "Ms Long [the
station assistant] said the Tube driver had used the man's own belt to
stem the loss of blood from his injury which, she said, had saved his
life." The same report indicated that her actions were pretty heroic
too, whether or not she applied the tourniquet.

I think it's worth posting here what Tim O'Toole (MD of LU) said
yesterday:
"I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to all London
Underground staff for their heroic response to yesterday's atrocities.
Prior to the arrival of the emergency services they had to work in the
most appalling and difficult of situations that most of us will
thankfully never experience. In particular, I want to pay tribute to the
staff of the Emergency Response Unit who played a critical role in
removing the dead and injured from the carnage underground. Along with
emergency service personnel who worked tirelessly throughout the day;
they were a credit to London."

Hear, hear.

--
Richard J.

Kat July 9th 05 06:22 PM

Richard J. wrote:
Hobbayne wrote:
I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those
trains! especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in
his carriage he must be in a terrible state!!

On the contrary, there were a number of news reports that said that the
Piccadilly driver was able to lead some passengers from the front of the
first car forwards along the track to Russell Square. At
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...686310,00.html, it says
he used a belt as a tourniquet to stem bleeding from a passenger's
severe leg wound.

Although I wasn't working on Thursday yesterday I was asked by several
customers to thank our station staff who had handled the evacuation of
the station so calmly and professionally.
We are all well trained to handle incidents due to the King's Cross fire
but some of the stories I've heard in various ways show that many staff
went well beyond their training in an effort to comfort and help those
caught up in this appalling event.

According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.

All stations received a description of the person. I believe so far he
hasn't been identified.
--
Kat

Paul Weaver July 9th 05 07:33 PM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

I was asked by several customers to thank our station staff who had handled
the evacuation of the station so calmly and professionally.

Indeed, we all moan about the strikes and the "32 hour weeks for
sitting on your arse", but how many 6-figure city slickers would have
the same balls to do what comes naturally to these men and women?

Paul Corfield July 9th 05 08:08 PM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:22:25 +0100, Kat
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.

All stations received a description of the person. I believe so far he
hasn't been identified.

As far as I can everyone at LU got the description via a notice / E
Mail. I have not heard if he has been identified either.
--
Paul C

Steve Fitzgerald July 9th 05 08:25 PM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

According to a TfL press release yesterday, "One London Underground
employee was injured in yesterday's attacks. He is currently in a
critical condition." It gave no further details.

All stations received a description of the person. I believe so far he
hasn't been identified.

As far as I can everyone at LU got the description via a notice / E
Mail. I have not heard if he has been identified either.

I'm told a name has been put forward that seems to fit the bill. Of
course nothing is confirmed yet.

[email protected] July 9th 05 10:45 PM

Paul Weaver wrote:
I was asked by several customers to thank our station staff
who had handled the evacuation of the station so calmly and
professionally.

Indeed, we all moan about the strikes and the "32 hour weeks for
sitting on your arse", but how many 6-figure city slickers would have
the same balls to do what comes naturally to these men and women?

I don't know. But why pick "6-figure city slickers" as opposed
to 15k office or retail workers in your example? Does it make
your comparision work better?

#Paul

Steve Dulieu July 10th 05 01:50 AM

Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing

"Hobbayne" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have not heard of the condition of the poor drivers of those trains!
especially the driver of the Picc train as the bomb was in his carriage
he must be in a terrible state!!

Whilst I am not at liberty to divulge details, I can say that the driver of
the train was not physically injured. Also that his actions in the immediate
aftermath can only be described as heroism of the highest order.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.