Old July 17th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 9/11 - 7/7

I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints from
people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone. Since
then, it's been very explicitly "nine-one-one". We here is the US got
911 as a single emergency number in the late 60's, early 70's.

73, doug

(Colin Rosenstiel) writes:

In article ,
(Stephen Farrow) wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Loony Tune" wrote in message

I'm surprised they haven't changed the number for their emergency
services as a 'mark of respect'

Funny you should say that. It was my first thought when I heard
people referring to the Twin Towers attacks as "9/11".

Though, to be fair, the emergency services number is always read as
"nine-one-one", never as "nine-eleven".

Not that I recall (from before 2001).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 17th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints from
people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone. Since
then, it's been very explicitly "nine-one-one". We here is the US got
911 as a single emergency number in the late 60's, early 70's.

Full history of 911 and 999 emergency phone service is on webpage
http://www.911dispatch.com/911_file/history/911history.html
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 17th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints from
people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

Old July 17th 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints from
people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

Probably the same people who complained that they could not find the
"any" key on their computer keyboard.
(press any key to continue)

Old July 17th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" writes:

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints from
people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

That's why we have the President we have. What's your excuse for your
PM?

73, doug
Old July 17th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" writes:

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints
from people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

That's why we have the President we have. What's your excuse for your
PM?

He happened to be the leader of the party that got the most votes. He wasn't
elected as an individual to the position of PM. He was only elected as a
Member of Parliament by getting the most votes in his own constituency.

Old July 17th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" writes:

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints
from people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

That's why we have the President we have. What's your excuse for your
PM?

He happened to be the leader of the party that got the most votes.

Getting the most votes isn't a requirement for forming a government.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 17th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:31:39 on Sun, 17
Jul 2005, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 remarked:
We here is the US got
911 as a single emergency number in the late 60's, early 70's.

I recall staying in hotels in the USA in the 80's where there was a list
of numbers on the back of the door for the local Fire, Police etc. These
were the local phone numbers, not 911.

Perhaps, in those places where there is an integrated emergency service,
they have always used the number 911. But not everywhere has had that
integrated service for very long.
Old July 17th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" writes:

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
I'd heard some places did refer to 911 as "nine-eleven" when the
number first came into use, until they started getting complaints
from people who couldn't find the "eleven" button on their 'phone.

Which is why Americans are held in the esteem that they are.

That's why we have the President we have. What's your excuse for
your PM?

He happened to be the leader of the party that got the most votes.

Getting the most votes isn't a requirement for forming a government.

Quite, after hitting the send button I realised the error. I should have
said, "the most MPs elected".