London Banter

-   -   Tiny Silver Lining (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3293-tiny-silver-lining.html)

Peter July 20th 05 07:53 AM

Tiny Silver Lining

I know it in no way alleviates the suffering and loss from the tube and
bus bombings, but at least I got to ride on a proper bus today.

A coach liveried Routemaster was on the Arnos Grove to Seven Sisters
route this morning - RCL2260. The most comfortable bus ride I've had
in a long time.

Boltar July 20th 05 10:21 AM

Tiny Silver Lining

At the risk of starting another bus flame war (buses, yawn)
I always found routemasters uncomfortable with a jerky
ride and flippin cold downstairs in the winter. Their only
saving grace was being able to hop on and off when you
liked. A hop on/off bendy bus would be ideal tho the
nannies would never allow it of course.

B2003

[email protected] July 20th 05 10:51 AM

Tiny Silver Lining

On 20 Jul 2005 03:21:45 -0700, "Boltar"
wrote:

At the risk of starting another bus flame war (buses, yawn)
I always found routemasters uncomfortable with a jerky
ride and flippin cold downstairs in the winter. Their only
saving grace was being able to hop on and off when you
liked. A hop on/off bendy bus would be ideal tho the
nannies would never allow it of course.

B2003

I agree. I used to like Routemasters when I was a kid going to school,
and I caught one the other day on the 38 - for the first time in
years.

It was the most uncomfortable ride I can remember! Narrow seats,
scrunched up knees, low ceiling, very jerky ride and very noisy
downstairs.

I look forward to seeing them in the LT museum but not for passenger
use in the 21st Century!

Ian Jelf July 20th 05 02:37 PM

Tiny Silver Lining

In message .com,
Boltar writes
At the risk of starting another bus flame war (buses, yawn)
I always found routemasters uncomfortable with a jerky
ride and flippin cold downstairs in the winter.

:-)
Incoming!
/ :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Ken July 20th 05 04:52 PM

Tiny Silver Lining

wrote:

At the risk of starting another bus flame war (buses, yawn)
I always found routemasters uncomfortable with a jerky
ride and flippin cold downstairs in the winter. Their only
saving grace was being able to hop on and off when you
liked. A hop on/off bendy bus would be ideal tho the
nannies would never allow it of course.

B2003

Yes, but have you been on an RMC/RCL? Platform doors, thicker, more
comfortable seat cushions, more legroom and luggage racks.

Probably the most comfortable buses LT ever ran.

Acrosticus July 20th 05 07:05 PM

Tiny Silver Lining

Ken wrote:

Yes, but have you been on an RMC/RCL? Platform doors, thicker, more
comfortable seat cushions, more legroom and luggage racks.

Probably the most comfortable buses LT ever ran.

But both still give a strange swaying and lurching kind of ride which
some people probably find unpleasant (something to do with their
suspension I think, which differs from the RM/RML version). I travelled
on an RMC back in January for the first time since about 1974 and the
way it swayed about was quite noticeable. "How the hell" I wondered at
the time "did I manage to do epic journeys like Harlow to Windsor on
718 or Hertford to Guildford on 715 all in one go in these things
without spewing up part way through?".

My verdict is seats - good; legroom - good; quality of ride - could do
better.

David Cantrell July 23rd 05 01:34 AM

Tiny Silver Lining

On 20 Jul 2005 03:21:45 -0700, "Boltar" said:

At the risk of starting another bus flame war (buses, yawn)
I always found routemasters uncomfortable with a jerky
ride

Depends on the driver.

and flippin cold downstairs in the winter.

Sit near the front! But presumably if you're out and about in the
winter you'll have a coat anyway.

Someone else commented that they found the seats uncomfortable. Odd,
I find Routemaster seats far more comfortable than any other bus. All
the others have all kinds of weird knobs and protrusions on the seats.
And the seats are too close together for someone my height on all
buses.