London Banter

-   -   More bombs?? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3302-more-bombs.html)

Richard J. July 21st 05 09:31 PM

More bombs??

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:09:54 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:38:16 GMT someone who may be "Bob Wood"
wrote this:-

I think that there are more trains
than stations only in your imagination.

No exact numbers from me. However, I suspect that on certain lines
at certain times there are more trains than stations in the central
area (a term I use in a vague way). That may also be the case
outwith the central area, where the distance between stations is
much greater.

The Circle Line IME is likely got more trains than stations during
the rush hour due to "intruders" from the Met, District and
Hammersmith and City

The Circle Line itself runs only every 8.5 minutes, thus allowing room
for the "intruders". The timetabled interval between trains of the
combined service is not less than 2 minutes, whereas the stations are
generally 1.5 to 2 minutes' running time apart. (Farringdon to King's
Cross is the main exception at 3.5 minutes.) So there are, on average
anyway, more platforms than trains.

although the effect will be lessened to some
degree when clearance is required by use of various sidings/extra
platforms or escape routes to other lines. The central parts of the
Northern Line are possibly another candidate for having more trains
than platforms (rather than stations) during the rush hour but I
suspect the "excess" trains (if any) do not amount to more than a
few.

I think that generally in the central area, trains run at 2-minute
intervals or more, and stations are 2 minutes apart or less.
--
Richard J.

Neil Williams July 21st 05 09:57 PM

More bombs??

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:51:46 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

I feel sure that the Waterloo and City has more trains than stations
(and probably rather different procedures for evacuation than other
lines).

Two and two (in service), I thought?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Graeme Wall July 21st 05 10:44 PM

More bombs??

In message
Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Bob Wood
writes

I don't know exactly how it works, but I think that there are more trains
than stations only in your imagination.

I feel sure that the Waterloo and City has more trains than stations
(and probably rather different procedures for evacuation than other
lines).

I thought the W&C had two trains and two stations.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Peter Masson July 21st 05 11:05 PM

More bombs??

"tim (moved to sweden)" wrote in message

"Peter Smyth" wrote
On the Victoria line there are 15 stations or 31 platforms and 37 trains
during the peaks.

So where are there three platforms (or are you counting one at
Northumberland Road?)

Seven Sisters

Peter

Bob Wood July 21st 05 11:59 PM

More bombs??

In ,
Paul Terry typed:

In message , Bob Wood
writes

I don't know exactly how it works, but I think that there are more
trains than stations only in your imagination.

I feel sure that the Waterloo and City has more trains than stations

But not more trains than platforms. Of the five trains, four are required
to work the peak service; the fifth would be in the depot beyond the
platforms at Waterloo. There are two platforms at each of the two termini,
so every train could get to a platform.

--
Bob

Bob Wood July 22nd 05 12:02 AM

More bombs??

In ,
Peter Smyth typed:

"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In oups.com,
Pat Ricroft typed:

Bob Wood wrote:

LT are reporting "Code Amber". All trains being stopped at
platforms and evacuated to ground level.

Just out of interest, how exactly does this work? I can't help
feeling that there are usually more trains on the system than
there are stations, and that therefore some trains get stopped
between stations. Do they detrain people in the tunnel and get
them to walk along to a station? Or do they hold trains in the
tunnel until the train ahead has been emptied and shunted forward?

I don't know exactly how it works, but I think that there are more
trains than stations only in your imagination. I am sure that some
body will be along in due course to give us the exact numbers.

On the Victoria line there are 15 stations or 31 platforms and 37
trains during the peaks.

I think there are 16 stations on the Victoria Line - but your point is
taken.

--
Bob

Peter Masson July 22nd 05 12:05 AM

More bombs??

wrote:

I feel sure that the Waterloo and City has more trains than stations
(and probably rather different procedures for evacuation than other
lines).

Two and two (in service), I thought?

IIRC at least in the peaks the W&C has 4 trains in service. Normally all
passengers alight from a loaded train each time it enters a platform, and at
Waterloo the train runs forward into the headshunt/depot in order to
reverse.

Presumably after the Code Amber evacuation, on other lines trains run
forward ecs to a depot, allowing a following train to enter the same
platform to evacuate.

Peter

Paul Terry July 22nd 05 08:31 AM

More bombs??

In message , Graeme Wall
writes

I thought the W&C had two trains and two stations.

No. Four trains and, for the peak service, six drivers.

--
Paul Terry

Clive D. W. Feather July 25th 05 07:36 AM

More bombs??

In article .com, Pat
Ricroft writes
LT are reporting "Code Amber". All trains being stopped at platforms and
evacuated to ground level.

Just out of interest, how exactly does this work? I can't help feeling
that there are usually more trains on the system than there are
stations, and that therefore some trains get stopped between stations.

The numbers vary. The Victoria Line has a peak of 38 trains for 16
stations and 33 platforms. Overall, the current peak services (pre 7th
July) involve:

Bakerloo: 32 trains (31 in the evening peak)
Central: 72 trains
Jubilee: 51 trains (see note)
Northern: 91 trains
Piccadilly: 76 trains
Victoria: 38 trains
Waterloo & City: 4 trains

Circle + H&C: 30 trains, plus 2 standing spare
District: 77 trains (67 D stock, 10 C stock)
East London: 6 trains
Metropolitan: 45 trains, plus a half train on the Chesham shuttle

[In the morning peak, one Jubilee train comes out of service shortly
before the last of the 51 enters service.]

Do they detrain people in the tunnel and get them to walk along to a
station? Or do they hold trains in the tunnel until the train ahead has
been emptied and shunted forward?

The latter is more common, I believe.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home: