London Banter

-   -   Mayor of London (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3337-mayor-london.html)

David July 26th 05 09:09 PM

Mayor of London

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

Dave

James Farrar July 26th 05 09:14 PM

Mayor of London

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:09:13 +0000 (UTC), (David)
wrote:

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

It's the GLA's logo.

Have a look around
http://www.london.gov.uk/ for examples.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon

Michael Hoffman July 26th 05 09:52 PM

Mayor of London

wrote:

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

It's the GLA's logo.

Pretend the OP asked, "In the GLA logo, Why is the ON at the end on
LONDON always in red whilst the rest of the text is in blue?"
--
Michael Hoffman

Martin Underwood July 26th 05 10:00 PM

Mayor of London

wrote:

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

It's the GLA's logo.

Pretend the OP asked, "In the GLA logo, Why is the ON at the end on LONDON
always in red whilst the rest of the text is in blue?"

Yes, it's pretty daft to have the "ON" in a differnet colour to the "LOND".
It's not even consistent: the "ON" at the top of the page is in red whereas
at the foot of the page there's a logo for London Development Agency where
"ON" is in green.

Still, it gives the image consultants something to make them feel important!

Bruce Fletcher July 26th 05 11:11 PM

Mayor of London

David wrote:
On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

I'm colour blind - looks OK to me!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Ant May July 26th 05 11:34 PM

Mayor of London

"David" wrote in message

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

I think this was an initiative by London Tourist Board / Visit London after
the 9/11 terrorist attacks - to emphasise the point that London was "On" by
which I guess they meant "We're open for business as normal". It seems to
have stuck ever since.

--
Ant

John Rowland July 27th 05 12:09 AM

Mayor of London

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

Pretend the OP asked, "In the GLA logo,
Why is the ON at the end on LONDON
always in red whilst the rest of the text is in blue?"

I first saw it in a GLA advert where there were lots of words ending in ON,
and they were coloured to draw attention to the rhyme. I can't remember the
words, it was something like "morON - prisON - londON!"

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Steve July 27th 05 12:25 AM

Mayor of London

wrote:

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor of
London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

It's the GLA's logo.

Pretend the OP asked, "In the GLA logo, Why is the ON at the end on LONDON
always in red whilst the rest of the text is in blue?"

Blokes on coke AKA image consultants convinced the GLA it was worth
several million.

Pretend the OP asked
"Why O2"
"Why Consignia"

Just don't expect an answer you will be happy with.

Steve July 27th 05 12:25 AM

Mayor of London

wrote:

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

It's the GLA's logo.

Pretend the OP asked, "In the GLA logo, Why is the ON at the end on
LONDON always in red whilst the rest of the text is in blue?"

Yes, it's pretty daft to have the "ON" in a differnet colour to the
"LOND". It's not even consistent: the "ON" at the top of the page is in
red whereas at the foot of the page there's a logo for London Development
Agency where "ON" is in green.

Still, it gives the image consultants something to make them feel
important!

Ending in may zeroes.

Alan OBrien July 27th 05 03:23 AM

Mayor of London

"Ant May" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

On all printed publicity for underground and buses, the phrase 'Mayor
of London' is shown. Why is the ON at the end on LONDON always in red
whilst the rest of the text is in blue?

I think this was an initiative by London Tourist Board / Visit London
after the 9/11 terrorist attacks - to emphasise the point that London was
"On" by which I guess they meant "We're open for business as normal". It
seems to have stuck ever since.

Perhaps it's the 'Lond' bit that is important.