Old August 14th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford rail lands

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:25:04 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

No, it won't, until they sell.

Or remortgage. Or put the rent up.

Agreed.

Or the owner takes advantage of the increase in value in some other way.
Absolutely.

Unless one felt like making arguments along the lines of the theory that
land taxes are good because they encourage efficient use of land. Which,
right now, i don't.

Retrospective taxes are in all cases unfair, because the "victim" may
not have the means to pay them - so I agree. It should not be charged
until such time as the increased value is realised - and only then on
a part of that increase.

Rising prices nationally should also be taken into account when
determining the figure.

(No, I'm not a homeowner, BTW, I rent, and am perhaps unusually in an
area where, despite the fact that purchase prices have increased by a
factor of nearly 2 in 4 years, rents have hardly changed in that same
amount of time - hence I'm still renting...)

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old August 15th 05, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

And will the state give refunds to those whose property values have been
reduced by undesirable developments?

Don't hold your breath....

Old August 15th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Orienteer" a écrit dans le message de
. uk...
And will the state give refunds to those whose property values have been
reduced by undesirable developments?

Don't hold your breath....

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:25:04 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

SNIP

In Belgium (and presumably elsewhere), a substantial payments were made in
connection with the high-speed lines (LGV), not only to neighbouring
property-owners but also to the affected municipalities. But one of the
lessons learned from experience in Victorian times is that care must be
taken in such situations to ensure that speculators cannot hold the railway
company to ransom by strategic purchases...

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old August 15th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression that they already did.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7