Old September 16th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

Sorry, but what's the point of it? Turning an express train into a slow
stopper for the last couple of miles?

How long does a "stop" take for the Eurostar?

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

Old September 16th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Zonky wrote:
Sorry, but what's the point of it? Turning an express train into a
slow stopper for the last couple of miles?

It's no different from WCML trains stopping at Watford Junction. It
relieves the pressure on capacity at Kings Cross St Pancras, though
presumably it will be only some trains that stop at Stratford. (Hmm, wonder
if Freedom Passes wil be accepted for Stratford-St Pancras?)

How long does a "stop" take for the Eurostar?

No longer than for any other long distance express in my experience.
--
Richard J.

Old September 16th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Zonky wrote:
Sorry, but what's the point of it? Turning an express train into a
slow stopper for the last couple of miles?

It's no different from WCML trains stopping at Watford Junction. It
relieves the pressure on capacity at Kings Cross St Pancras, though
presumably it will be only some trains that stop at Stratford. (Hmm,
wonder if Freedom Passes wil be accepted for Stratford-St Pancras?)

Presumably there will be no trains stopping St Pancras - Stratford -
Ashford - Calais - Lille - Gare Du Nord !

Still, for an express long distance service, it does seem silly to add the
short stop so close to the final destination....

How long does a "stop" take for the Eurostar?

No longer than for any other long distance express in my experience.

But in context of a train passing through without stopping? 3-4 minutes is
reasonable?

Z.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.
Old September 16th 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:23:55 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:
Zonky wrote:
Sorry, but what's the point of it? Turning an express train into a
slow stopper for the last couple of miles?

It's no different from WCML trains stopping at Watford Junction. It
relieves the pressure on capacity at Kings Cross St Pancras, though
presumably it will be only some trains that stop at Stratford.

Plus Stratford is on the Central, Jubilee & DLR - St Pancras isn't.
Yes, most newbies and tourists won't appreciate that but I imagine a
lot of more regular users of the service would.

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
www.samholloway.co.uk

Old September 16th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:48:59 +0100, Sam Holloway
wrote:

Plus Stratford is on the Central, Jubilee & DLR - St Pancras isn't.
Yes, most newbies and tourists won't appreciate that but I imagine a
lot of more regular users of the service would.

Wheras St Pancras is only on the Met, H&C, Circle, Northern,
Piccadilly and Victoria lines?

Old September 16th 03, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Plus Stratford is on the Central, Jubilee & DLR - St Pancras isn't.
Yes, most newbies and tourists won't appreciate that but I imagine a
lot of more regular users of the service would.

Wheras St Pancras is only on the Met, H&C, Circle, Northern,
Piccadilly and Victoria lines?

Not a lot of help if you don't live on them. For a lot of people whose
local station is on the Central, Jubilee or DLR (and I'm one such
person) Stratford is a much more convenient place to get to.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 16th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Zonky wrote in message . 44...
Sorry, but what's the point of it? Turning an express train into a slow
stopper for the last couple of miles?

Often wondered about similar routes - the transpennine from manchester
to liverpool stops at oxford road as well as piccadilly. If anything
it should stop at deansgate, a metrolink interchange (saving 20
minutes off a journey to altrincham or eccles from liverpool or
warrington).

But you would guess that a eurostar would stop paris, lille, ashford,
london. The two main cities and the two sides of the tunnel. Who wants
to go to stratford anyway?

Of course, is the tunnel really used as much as it should be? Where
are overnight through trains to Italy and Germany? (Preferably at
Italian prices - 10p per mile for an overnight couchette).
Old September 17th 03, 05:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul
Weaver writes

Of course, is the tunnel really used as much as it should be?

Eurostar is just one of four companies using the tunnel - the Shuttle
also uses it for a frequent service (four trains an hour in each
direction at peak times), and EWS and SNCF run international freight
services through it, mainly during the night.

I suspect it may well be approaching capacity as EuroTunnel say they
have submitted a proposal for a second tunnel.

Where are overnight through trains to Italy and Germany?

I doubt there would ever be much demand for Italy - sleeper services are
costly to run, and 24 hours on the train compares badly with a 2-hour
cheap flight.

(Preferably at Italian prices - 10p per mile for an overnight
couchette).

Italian rail prices are indeed excellent, but even at 10p a mile London
to Rome would be much more than I normally pay for a flight!

--
Paul Terry
Old September 17th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Plus Stratford is on the Central, Jubilee & DLR - St Pancras isn't.
Yes, most newbies and tourists won't appreciate that but I imagine a
lot of more regular users of the service would.

Wheras St Pancras is only on the Met, H&C, Circle, Northern,
Piccadilly and Victoria lines?

Yes, exactly my point. Between those two stations, you've covered most
lines without requiring an additional change. (You're only missing
Bakerloo, W&C, East London and District!)

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
www.samholloway.co.uk

Old September 17th 03, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Is Stratford station going to be extended / redesigned when the Eurostar
arrives ? Will it be like Waterloo (Large holding areas etc) ?

The station at the moment is pretty full during the peaks, without loads of
international passengers. The Central line / NR platforms are not that wide
either.

I presume all of this has been thought of though. Hasn't it ?