London Banter

-   -   Well done Highways Agency (!) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3433-well-done-highways-agency.html)

Adrian August 30th 05 05:44 PM

Well done Highways Agency (!)

Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Not sure if anyone noticed this morning, but a major accident shut
the M25 anti-clockwise, near Heathrow.

I see that the lorry that crashed was a tanker carrying hydrogen
peroxide. Just as well it didn't crash into a tanker carrying
acetone.

That's a different accident which happen around noon today (30 August).
This thread was started yesterday (29th).

I can spot a conspiracy theory thread (or seventeen) starting about this
one...

Tom Anderson August 30th 05 06:00 PM

Well done Highways Agency (!)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I see that the lorry that crashed was a tanker carrying hydrogen
peroxide. Just as well it didn't crash into a tanker carrying acetone.

Hundreds of bodies with blonde hair and no nail varnish!

I was thinking more about the acetone peroxide. Every suicide bomber
would have been making tracks to Staines to collect the ingredients.

They'd have to be pretty quick about it - neither acetone nor hydrogen
peroxide are known for their propensity to sit about quietly in nice
convenient puddles.

tom

--
Operate all mechanisms!

Dr Ivan D. Reid August 30th 05 07:21 PM

Well done Highways Agency (!)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:00:58 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote in :

They'd have to be pretty quick about it - neither acetone nor hydrogen
peroxide are known for their propensity to sit about quietly in nice
convenient puddles.

Acetone's not that volatile, as organic liquids go. I used to
have, ooh... minutes of fun with an open wide-mouthed acetone container
and a thin tube ducked into a container of liquid nitrogen. The tube
would spit out small droplets of LN2 which would then skate around like
billiard balls on the surface of the acetone, leaving little vapour trails
to mark their passage. The limit was my boredom level, not the
disappearance of the acetone.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Tom Anderson August 30th 05 10:55 PM

Well done Highways Agency (!)

wrote in :

They'd have to be pretty quick about it - neither acetone nor hydrogen
peroxide are known for their propensity to sit about quietly in nice
convenient puddles.

Acetone's not that volatile, as organic liquids go.

Well, no, but it is quite volatile as everyday liquids go. The more
volatile things tend not to stay around long enough to become everyday
items!

I used to have, ooh... minutes of fun with an open wide-mouthed acetone
container and a thin tube ducked into a container of liquid nitrogen.
The tube would spit out small droplets of LN2 which would then skate
around like billiard balls on the surface of the acetone, leaving little
vapour trails to mark their passage.

I'll have to try that.

The limit was my boredom level, not the disappearance of the acetone.

You were cooling the acetone with liquid nitrogen, though, weren't you?

tom

--
Rip and tear your guts! You are huge! That means you have huge guts! Rip
and tear! -- The Doomguy