London Banter

-   -   Wimbledon Forecourt (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3451-wimbledon-forecourt.html)

Joe Patrick September 8th 05 05:07 PM

Wimbledon Forecourt

Sorry, should have Crossposted to uk.t.l

Joe Patrick wrote:
Hi, just got this message through my site : -

"I am just about to go into my final year of the Diploma in
Architecture at
Nottingham University, and am currently researching my upcoming thesis
project. I am proposing to do a centre of sustainable urban transport
in
wimbledon.
I am yet to decide on a site for the project, am starting to look at
concentric circles of distances that people are prepared to walk,
cycle,
drive their electric car etc
My proposal currently is to encorporate bike sales, bike park, an
informative
element/museum, bike repairs, cafe, tram stop (tram already goes
through
wimbledon), pedestrianised area...and possibly several outposts in
opportune
places throughout london such as bike parks.
I was wondering if it might be possible to get some more information on
the
developments at Wimbledon Station forecourt."

I am not from this area, but would really like to help, can anyone
give any more information, you will, of course be credited.

TIA,
Joe

David Hansen September 8th 05 09:21 PM

Wimbledon Forecourt

On 8 Sep 2005 10:07:14 -0700 someone who may be "Joe Patrick"
wrote this:-

tram stop (tram already goes
through wimbledon),

On a historical note, the place where the road widens to the east of
Wimbledon station is where trams used to terminate in the days
before the mistake that was Operation Tramaway. From photographs the
double track just ended in the island, with a crossover for them to
get to the appropriate track. Whether it was ever intended to extend
them I don't know.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Colin Rosenstiel September 9th 05 12:47 AM

Wimbledon Forecourt

wrote this:-

tram stop (tram already goes through wimbledon),

On a historical note, the place where the road widens to the east of
Wimbledon station is where trams used to terminate in the days
before the mistake that was Operation Tramaway. From photographs the
double track just ended in the island, with a crossover for them to
get to the appropriate track. Whether it was ever intended to extend
them I don't know.

Didn't LUT trams continue past the station until they were converted to
trolleybuses in the mid-1930s?

--
Colin Rosenstiel