Old September 19th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default deepest escalator on the underground?

Hi,

As subject line read just wondeirng what the deepest escalotor is on the
tube.

cheers

Old September 19th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"mocha" wrote in message
Hi,

As subject line read just wondeirng what the deepest escalotor is on the
tube.

Depends how you define "deepest escalator". Do you mean:

- height of longest escalator
- deepest top of escalator below ground level
- deepest bottom of escalator below ground level

According to "The London Underground", Oliver Green, Ian Allan, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4, the longest escalator is at Leicester Square on the
Piccadilly Line: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope or 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m)
vertical rise.

Old September 19th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
PJR PJR is offline

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

According to "The London Underground", Oliver Green, Ian Allan, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4, the longest escalator is at Leicester Square on the
Piccadilly Line: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope or 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m)
vertical rise.

must be an old book then coz Angel on the Northern Line is 318 steps and 90
feet

Old September 19th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Martin Underwood" wrote:
"mocha" wrote in message
Hi,

As subject line read just wondeirng what the deepest escalotor is on the
tube.

Depends how you define "deepest escalator". Do you mean:

- height of longest escalator
- deepest top of escalator below ground level
- deepest bottom of escalator below ground level

According to "The London Underground", Oliver Green, Ian Allan, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4, the longest escalator is at Leicester Square on the
Piccadilly Line: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope or 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m)
vertical rise.

I thought the longest was at Angel.

The deepest tube station is Hampstead but this has a lift and not an
escalator.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-
Old September 19th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"mocha" wrote in message
Hi,

As subject line read just wondeirng what the deepest escalotor is on the
tube.

Depends how you define "deepest escalator". Do you mean:

- height of longest escalator
- deepest top of escalator below ground level
- deepest bottom of escalator below ground level

According to "The London Underground", Oliver Green, Ian Allan, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4, the longest escalator is at Leicester Square on the
Piccadilly Line: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope or 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m)
vertical rise.

Thanks for the reply

What is the deepest platform below ground level?

I guess al 3 woul dbe an interesting piece of information to know.

The height of the longest escalator would be interesting too.

Cheers

Old September 19th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
PJR PJR is offline

"mocha" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply

What is the deepest platform below ground level?

I guess al 3 woul dbe an interesting piece of information to know.

The height of the longest escalator would be interesting too.

Cheers

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/facts.asp

Incdentally, you can find the answers to all such facts extremely easily,
just with a simple Google search.

Old September 19th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"PJR" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

According to "The London Underground", Oliver Green, Ian Allan, ISBN
0-7110-1720-4, the longest escalator is at Leicester Square on the
Piccadilly Line: 161 ft 6 in (49.6 m) on slope or 80 ft 9 in (24.6 m)
vertical rise.

must be an old book then coz Angel on the Northern Line is 318 steps and
90 feet

Yes, it was published in 1987. I looked to see if I had a more recent book
that gave more up-to-date information, but I hadn't.

I hadn't realised that Angel had taken the record away from Leicester
Square. I know that Angel was remodelled fairly extensively to replace the
very narrow two-faced island platform. Were two separate escalators combined
into one or was the booking office moved further away, requiring a
longer/higher escalator?

Old September 20th 05, 05:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood said:

I know that Angel was remodelled fairly extensively to
replace the very narrow two-faced island platform. Were two separate
escalators combined into one or was the booking office moved further
away, requiring a longer/higher escalator?

I believe the booking office was moved.

Old September 20th 05, 06:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood:
I know that Angel was remodelled fairly extensively to
replace the very narrow two-faced island platform. Were two separate
escalators combined into one or was the booking office moved further
away, requiring a longer/higher escalator?

Pippa Moran:
I believe the booking office was moved.

Yes. And there was a lift before, not an escalator.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
-- John Hollingsworth