Old October 24th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default iMac G3 - firmware problems?

I've been asked by a friend to try to sort out an iMac G3 that he's
bought. He reported that it will sometimes boot normally, but often the
screen just remains blank.

I can't get it beyond the blank screen. The startup bong sounds as
normal and the HD clatters a little, but it doesn't appear to be
attempting to boot.

The HD has OS 9 on it I believe, but it's possible that someone tried to
put Mac OS X on it without applying the necessary firmware updates. That
would explain the blank screen. I've tried plugging in an external
display, but no joy there either.

I'm wondering where to go from here. There's plenty of info on the net
about various incantations which may get a iMac with firmware problems
back on the go. But before I try anything, has anyone here got any
recommendations?

TIA

Mark

iMac G3, graphite, FireWire, 600MHz, 512MB RAM (2x256MB Crucial sticks)

--
Mark Etherington

Old October 24th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:28:20 +0100, Mark Etherington
wrote in :

I'm wondering where to go from here. There's plenty of info on the net
about various incantations which may get a iMac with firmware problems
back on the go. But before I try anything, has anyone here got any
recommendations?

Have you tried it on the Northern Line?

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old October 24th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Etherington wrote:
I've been asked by a friend to try to sort out an iMac G3 that he's
bought. He reported that it will sometimes boot normally, but often
the screen just remains blank.

I can't get it beyond the blank screen. The startup bong sounds as
normal and the HD clatters a little, but it doesn't appear to be
attempting to boot.

The HD has OS 9 on it I believe, but it's possible that someone
tried to put Mac OS X on it without applying the necessary firmware
updates. That would explain the blank screen. I've tried plugging
in an external display, but no joy there either.

I'm wondering where to go from here.

A more relevant newsgroup, perhaps?

--
Richard J.
Old October 25th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Mark Etherington wrote:

I've been asked by a friend to try to sort out an iMac G3 that he's
bought. He reported that it will sometimes boot normally, but often
the screen just remains blank.

I can't get it beyond the blank screen. The startup bong sounds as
normal and the HD clatters a little, but it doesn't appear to be
attempting to boot.

The HD has OS 9 on it I believe, but it's possible that someone
tried to put Mac OS X on it without applying the necessary firmware
updates. That would explain the blank screen. I've tried plugging
in an external display, but no joy there either.

I'm wondering where to go from here.

A more relevant newsgroup, perhaps?

My mistake - apologies to all.

--
Mark Etherington

Old October 25th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark Etherington
writes
My mistake - apologies to all.

Oh I don't know. Ivan's suggestion about the Northern Line gave me a
laugh, don't know about everyone else!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK