London Banter

-   -   Manchester-London routing help (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3545-manchester-london-routing-help.html)

Dave Arquati October 25th 05 07:01 PM

Manchester-London routing help

Unfortunately one of those annoying routing questions, but I'd
appreciate some help.

I'll be going to Manchester in a few weekends from now, and I'll be
provided with an open return ticket. On my way back to London, I'd like
to make a detour to Ledbury, stay there overnight, and head back to
London the following day.

I've trawled through some of the routing guide, and it looks as though a
possible cheap option would be to travel from Manchester to Birmingham,
buy a new ticket (a Saver Return presumably) to Ledbury, and go back to
Birmingham the next day to pick up a train to London using my previous
open return ticket.

Does this sound feasible?

I did wonder whether I could go Birmingham-Ledbury then Ledbury-Oxford
and pick up a permitted route on my Manchester ticket again, but
apparently not - Oxford doesn't seem to be a permitted route for
Manchester-London. Surprisingly neither does High Wycombe - but maybe
I've misunderstood the guide.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Bob Wood October 25th 05 08:14 PM

Manchester-London routing help

In ,
Dave Arquati typed:

Unfortunately one of those annoying routing questions, but I'd
appreciate some help.

I'll be going to Manchester in a few weekends from now, and I'll be
provided with an open return ticket. On my way back to London, I'd
like to make a detour to Ledbury, stay there overnight, and head back
to London the following day.

I've trawled through some of the routing guide, and it looks as
though a possible cheap option would be to travel from Manchester to
Birmingham, buy a new ticket (a Saver Return presumably) to Ledbury,
and go back to Birmingham the next day to pick up a train to London
using my previous open return ticket.

Does this sound feasible?

No reason against it.

I did wonder whether I could go Birmingham-Ledbury then Ledbury-Oxford
and pick up a permitted route on my Manchester ticket again, but
apparently not - Oxford doesn't seem to be a permitted route for
Manchester-London. Surprisingly neither does High Wycombe - but maybe
I've misunderstood the guide.

I don't think you have misunderstood anything. From Birmignham, you
would have to travel via Coventry and Milton Keynes.

--
Bob