London Banter

-   -   Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3614-plan-dealing-obnoxious-phone-calls.html)

Andrew Yarnwood November 16th 05 10:49 AM

Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Does a site or newsgroup already exist for this?

Tim Christian November 16th 05 10:57 AM

Andrew Yarnwood wrote in message
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Does a site or newsgroup already exist for this?

Carry a cassette/cd player loaded with load pub sound effects - music,
drunken voices, glasses clinking - and play it when they say 'I'm on the
train'?

Fred Smith November 16th 05 10:58 AM

Andrew Yarnwood wrote:
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

Comments?
Suggestions?

I travel in the quiet zone and if someone is on the phone and they give
out their number I call them back later in the day to remind them of
their error and point out that they were careless in giving out such
information in the quiet zone.

I don't wait to listen to their excuses, four letter words or threats -
but then hang-up. CLI never withheld from my disposable PAYG handset!

NotQuiteCornish November 16th 05 11:09 AM

Andrew Yarnwood wrote:
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Carry a small, flask-like vessel of cold salty water, and when the
caller has finished the call, ask to borrow their phone...and place it
in said water.

No more calls on that journey!

[email protected] November 16th 05 11:15 AM

Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

Evil, good but evil.

Now can you come up with a way to deal with screaming brats and larger
louts.

Paul Scott November 16th 05 11:18 AM

Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Evil, good but evil.

Now can you come up with a way to deal with screaming brats and larger
louts.

but not smaller louts??

Paul

PhilD November 16th 05 11:20 AM

wrote:
Evil, good but evil.

Now can you come up with a way to deal with screaming brats and larger
louts.

Or even smaller louts.

:-)

PhilD

N.I.B. November 16th 05 11:20 AM

wrote:
Evil, good but evil.

Now can you come up with a way to deal with screaming brats and larger
louts.

It's the smaller louts that I can't stand.

N.I.B. November 16th 05 11:25 AM

Andrew Yarnwood wrote:
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Does a site or newsgroup already exist for this?

I sometimes while away those moments by trying to work out what they
actually *do*. It's easy enough to spot the self-confident banter of a
recruitment consultant, for example.

But there is also a large section of middle management types who are far
harder to decipher. They speak entirely in code, punctuated by the odd
surname or location - all very discreet, all total bull****.

Perhaps they don't know what they do themselves - 'I manage, therefore I
am.'

MIG November 16th 05 11:53 AM

Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

Carry a small, flask-like vessel of cold salty water, and when the
caller has finished the call, ask to borrow their phone...and place it
in said water.

No more calls on that journey

I had a Nokia 3310 which fell in the toilet (still not quite sure how).
For reasons of hygiene, I washed it very thoroughly, and then took it
apart as much as I could, thinking that the components are mostly
sealed in plastic and/or non-corrosive.

I then laid all the little, thoroughly-washed, bits out to dry for two
days.

Then I put it back together again, and it didn't work.

So the water may not need to be salty.