Old November 21st 05, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Steaming drains

"Furles" write:
I've also seen large, cylinders of liqiid gas, Nitrogen I think, on
street corners, chained to a pole of some sort, with the gas being
piped underground. I think this was being done by Verizon
(telephones), so pipe freezing doesn't seem likely. ...

I noticed this myself the last time I was in New York, and had a chance
to ask a Verizon technician about it. It's simple cooling; the gas
cools as it expands on leaving the cylinder. As I recall what the man
told me, that they do it if the underground electronics are found to be
overheating. One cylinder lasts about a week.

I didn't ask why they use nitrogen, because that was obvious. It won't
support combustion and thus helps suppress any fire that might start
due to the overheating, and it's relatively cheap.
--
Mark Brader | "It never occurred to me that a living person could be
Toronto | used as a blowtorch, but we admit human beings are a

Old November 21st 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Laurence Payne wrote:

Battersea Power Station used to pipe hot water under the Thames to
provide heating to Dolphin Square and Pimlico.

When the station closed thiis was replaced by a coal-fired boiler house
between the power station and the railway. This was later converted to
'dual', I assume gas and oil, firing according to its sign. Quite
recently this was demolished, does anyone know what has now replaced
it?

I always thought that the excess heat from Battersea was used to heat
homes on the Churchill Estate in Pimlico but not Dolphin Square. Have
I been misinformed?

Yes. Dolphin Square was built first - in the 1930s, shortly after
Battersea Power Station, so the pipe under the Thames carrying the
excess heat was built for it; Churchill Gardens was built after the
war and it was realised that there was still excess heat so the
system was extended to cover it.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-