London Banter

-   -   [OT] Fire in docklands or deptford? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/368-ot-fire-docklands-deptford.html)

Luke Ross July 20th 03 06:41 PM

[OT] Fire in docklands or deptford?

Hi,

When I was waiting at Heron Quays around 5pm or so yesterday there was a
lot of smoke blowing through the station from a fairly tall building on
fire, quite a way South, that the firefighters were pumping large
amounts of water at - any idea which building was on fire? I can't seem
to find any news articles about it.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke Ross July 21st 03 11:08 PM

Chris Owen wrote:
Luke Ross wrote in message ...

When I was waiting at Heron Quays around 5pm or so yesterday there was a
lot of smoke blowing through the station from a fairly tall building on
fire, quite a way South, that the firefighters were pumping large
amounts of water at - any idea which building was on fire? I can't seem
to find any news articles about it.

It was a construction site - the building on fire was a
partly-constructed block at the bottom of Mastmaker Road on South
Quay. It was one of a number of "affordable housing" blocks being
built on what is, if I remember rightly, the site of the old Tate &
Lyle sugar works. See
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...&coordsys=g b
for the location.

And it was a bloody big fire too, with flames coming out of every
orifice. I could even see the flames from my home in Rotherhithe, a
good mile away. I would estimate that they must have been at least
100ft in the air, to be visible over the intervening rooftops.
Somebody's forfeited their no-claims bonus for sure...

Ah all becomes clear, I did wonder if it was a construction site because
it appeared to have a crane next to it, but I didn't know if they were
in the same place. And yes it was a big fire, there were flames licking
all over the top of it, clearly visible from Canary Wharf.

Luke

Mark G July 22nd 03 04:42 PM

[OT] Fire in docklands or deptford?

Luke Ross wrote in message ...
Hi,

Chris Owen wrote:
Luke Ross wrote in message ...

[...]

I was on the DLR between Lewisham and Greenwich and the smoke was
clearly visable as we passed over the A2, which must be a good couple
of miles away.

Seanie O'Kilfoyle July 27th 03 01:39 PM

[OT] Fire in docklands or deptford?

"Chris Owen" wrote in message
om...
Luke Ross wrote in message

Hi,

When I was waiting at Heron Quays around 5pm or so yesterday there was a
lot of smoke blowing through the station from a fairly tall building on
fire, quite a way South, that the firefighters were pumping large
amounts of water at - any idea which building was on fire? I can't seem
to find any news articles about it.

It was a construction site - the building on fire was a
partly-constructed block at the bottom of Mastmaker Road on South
Quay. It was one of a number of "affordable housing" blocks

Not so affordable now then

Bob Adams July 27th 03 08:42 PM

[OT] Fire in docklands or deptford?

In message , Seanie
O'Kilfoyle writes

"Chris Owen" wrote in message
. com...
Luke Ross wrote in message

Hi,

When I was waiting at Heron Quays around 5pm or so yesterday there was a
lot of smoke blowing through the station from a fairly tall building on
fire, quite a way South, that the firefighters were pumping large
amounts of water at - any idea which building was on fire? I can't seem
to find any news articles about it.

It was a construction site - the building on fire was a
partly-constructed block at the bottom of Mastmaker Road on South
Quay. It was one of a number of "affordable housing" blocks

Not so affordable now then

The actual fire took place on the 8th floor of a partly built office
block AIUI. A couple of floors (or more) collapsed during the fire and
the whole thing may have to be demolished. I wonder if you can insure
unfinished buildings?

--
Bob Adams.
(amster has been killed by spam.)

email to:

Terry Harper July 27th 03 11:16 PM

"Bob Adams" wrote in message

The actual fire took place on the 8th floor of a partly built office
block AIUI. A couple of floors (or more) collapsed during the fire and
the whole thing may have to be demolished. I wonder if you can insure
unfinished buildings?

Contract works insurance will no doubt cover it.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/