Old January 23rd 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Bollards

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
That seems rather inflexible. I'd have a sticker on the diffuser showing
the proper sign. And, for good measure, which way it should face. :-)

In the case of a keep left/keep right sign, it must be possible to have
a swappable sign that's fitted in a 'window' at the top and secured in
place somehow, to prevent kids playing around with it.

Hmm - "secured in place somehow, to prevent kids playing around with
it" - perhaps the ultimate technical challenge of our time!

Old January 23rd 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article .com,
Jonathan Morris says...

In the case of a keep left/keep right sign, it must be possible to have
a swappable sign that's fitted in a 'window' at the top and secured in
place somehow, to prevent kids playing around with it.

Like they already are?

Then you can have an arrow either way,

You didn't do well in mental agility tests did you? If you rotate the
keep left sign 270 degrees, it looks like a keep right one...

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old January 23rd 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
Jonathan Morris says...

In the case of a keep left/keep right sign, it must be possible to have
a swappable sign that's fitted in a 'window' at the top and secured in
place somehow, to prevent kids playing around with it.

Like they already are?

Then you can have an arrow either way,

You didn't do well in mental agility tests did you? If you rotate the
keep left sign 270 degrees, it looks like a keep right one...

--
Conor

Do you always go the long way round???

If you rotate the keep left sign *90* degrees the other way, it still
looks like a keep right one...

---
IanH (L/Cpl Ret'd)

Old January 23rd 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"ian henden" typed

You didn't do well in mental agility tests did you? If you rotate the
keep left sign 270 degrees, it looks like a keep right one...

--
Conor

Do you always go the long way round???

If you rotate the keep left sign *90* degrees the other way, it still
looks like a keep right one...

Mental agility, innit?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , ian henden
says...

If you rotate the keep left sign *90* degrees the other way, it still
looks like a keep right one...

LOL. It's Sods law as applied to posts regarding peoples spelling.

Old January 24th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Conor wrote:
Like they already are?

I didn't know they were.. never looked that closely!

You didn't do well in mental agility tests did you? If you rotate the
keep left sign 270 degrees, it looks like a keep right one...

?

I suggested a system that would allow one arrow to be swapped to point
left or right (I didn't think anyone would want it pointing up). I am
sorry if I didn't communicate this very well, but what you've just said
sounds exactly the same!

Jonathan

Old January 25th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article . com,
Jonathan Morris says...
Conor wrote:
Like they already are?

I didn't know they were.. never looked that closely!

You didn't do well in mental agility tests did you? If you rotate the
keep left sign 270 degrees, it looks like a keep right one...

?

I suggested a system that would allow one arrow to be swapped to point
left or right (I didn't think anyone would want it pointing up). I am
sorry if I didn't communicate this very well, but what you've just said
sounds exactly the same!

No it doesn't. Get a square bit of paper. Draw an arrow on it. Look at
it pointing left. Rotate it. What do you get?

Old January 28th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I've recently noticed that a lot of the plastic lit-up bollards on traffic
islands seem to be wrong - for instance, a plain white disc where there
should be a leftward arrow, or a leftward arrow where there should be two
diverging arrows, etc.

Even worse is the number that aren't illuminated at night, or are so
filthy that the illumination doesn't show at all. The highway's people
are obviously trying to save a few bob here; although they may find it
difficult to escape liability when a motorcyclist runs into one of
their unlit obstacles, loses a leg and sues them for negligence!
Perhaps they could venture outside their cosy little local authority
world of astronomic salaries, inflation-proof pensions and automatic
promotion for long enough to look at this problem.