Old January 28th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster charging question

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:05:26 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:02:12 GMT, Phil Clark
wrote:

Just because you're signed up for auto top-up doesn't mean you can't
buy Oyster in other ways. Give the man or the machine money. They
will replenish your Oyster.

Can't you top up online as well?

Sure. But to collect the top-up you have to touch at a nominated
Underground station. Why not do it automatically?

I didn't realise that you had to touch in at a Tube station to pick it
up. I do have auto top-up - and use buses so infrequently it isn't
going to be a problem that I can't top up on a bus.

Old February 3rd 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Laurence Payne
writes
Because the data is on your card. Otherwise, every time you touched
in on a 'bus, the system would have to interrogate a central database
to see if you had credit.

I see. But that means that if you lose your Oyster card and report it
lost to invalidate it, anyone finding it can still use it on a bus, and
indefinitely I guess, unless the bus reader downloads numbers of lost or
stolen cards from time to time?

--
Clive Page
Old February 3rd 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:23:46 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

I see. But that means that if you lose your Oyster card and report it
lost to invalidate it, anyone finding it can still use it on a bus, and
indefinitely I guess, unless the bus reader downloads numbers of lost or
stolen cards from time to time?

I imagine something like this must occur. But that's rather different
to asking a 'bus reader to contact Oyster Central in real time as each
passenger touches in.
Old February 3rd 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I see. But that means that if you lose your Oyster card and report it
lost to invalidate it, anyone finding it can still use it on a bus, and
indefinitely I guess, unless the bus reader downloads numbers of lost or
stolen cards from time to time?

I imagine something like this must occur. But that's rather different
to asking a 'bus reader to contact Oyster Central in real time as each
passenger touches in.

I think it does happen, I was on a bus a couple of days ago when I heard
the driver telling a woman that her freedom pass had been cancelled and
he did not know why, but she should contact them to find out

--
Martin Smith
Old February 5th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I see. But that means that if you lose your Oyster card and report it
lost to invalidate it, anyone finding it can still use it on a bus, and
indefinitely I guess, unless the bus reader downloads numbers of lost or
stolen cards from time to time?

I imagine something like this must occur. But that's rather different
to asking a 'bus reader to contact Oyster Central in real time as each
passenger touches in.

I think it does happen, I was on a bus a couple of days ago when I heard
the driver telling a woman that her freedom pass had been cancelled and
he did not know why, but she should contact them to find out

Urm, no.

The bus ETMs have local hotlists which get updated periodically.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk