Old February 7th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Default PSV Drivers

Not Here wrote:
"Graham Murray" wrote in message

"Kev" writes:

Had a run in with a nice employee of Arriva this morning who called me
a ****ing moron because I didn't know that PSV drivers aren't allowed
to reverse. Now I am not an expert on the law regarding PSV drivers so
can somebody confirm that it is a fact that they are not allowed to
reverse. Seems bonkers to me.

That cannot, in general, be true as it is very common for buses and
coaches to reverse out of the stands at bus stations. I have also been
on buses which have reversed on 'normal' roads.

Arent they allowed to as long as there is someone guiding them out of
the stand - when they used to have conducters etc?

Bus stations invariably have signs and barriers keeping pedestrians
off the "roadway". So, if you hit a pedestrian - it is their fault, they
shouldn't have been there. I don't know of any bus station, where you
have to reverse off, that provides any assistance to drivers.

Bus depots are a different matter, they have rules about reversing. But
rules are only there to hang you by, if things go wrong. I did ask once
(I was at the Truro depot for the first time and there are BIG notices
about it). I won't repeat what the duty manager said..So I ignored the
signs, the same as everyone else.

--
Sue

Old February 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

"Kev" writes:

Bus stations invariably have signs and barriers keeping pedestrians off
the "roadway". So, if you hit a pedestrian - it is their fault, they
shouldn't have been there. I don't know of any bus station, where you have
to reverse off, that provides any assistance to drivers.

Swansea & Glasgow at least do. They may not bother half of the time because
they are talking to other drivers but they are there!