Old February 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Default PSV Drivers

"Palindr?me" wrote in message
Not Here wrote:
"Graham Murray" wrote in message

"Kev" writes:

Bus stations invariably have signs and barriers keeping pedestrians off
the "roadway". So, if you hit a pedestrian - it is their fault, they
shouldn't have been there. I don't know of any bus station, where you have
to reverse off, that provides any assistance to drivers.

Swansea & Glasgow at least do. They may not bother half of the time because
they are talking to other drivers but they are there!

Old February 7th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb 2006 08:07:47 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 04:20:08 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

You are a moron for not reversing once into that situation.

Who said that I didn't reverse once into the situation. I drive around
a bend in the road and I am confronted by a small bus heding towards me
wrong side of the road passing parked cars. I immediately stop along
side a parked car to my RH side. The bus passes a large space, that he
could have pulled into had he chosen to do so, to face me bumper to
bumper.
I have to make sure that the road behind is clear, it is dark and I
reverse up, the engine has stalled so I have to restart the engine
before doing so.The drivers reponse is, ****ing moron don't you know a
psv driver can't reverse. Well actually I didn't know and quite frankly
I don't give a damn that I don't know.

I obviously did not see the situation,. so I don't know whether I
really was reasonable for him to pull into the space.

Take my word for it, this was a large enough space for him to pull
into. Do not forget that it was dark so he would have seen my lights
from around the corner. I saw his lights and stopped but was already
along side parked cars.

But again, it being dark would make it much harder for him to judge,
or possibly even see the space (Possibly he was dazzled by your lights
- even assuming they were dipped)

In my view, it being dark gives him more excuse for not pulling in
himself, although not for any later outburst.

But whether it was or not, for you to then suggest he should be the
one to reverse *is* moronic.

I haven't at any time suggested that he reversed. Please refer to any
text that suggested that I said that.

Fair enough.

I was making the assumption that there was at least *some* reason
behind his reaction, however OTT it may have been.

If what you say above is true, then the only reason behind it was
basically down to the fact that it took you a while to move, due to
stalling (which he probably didn't know), so he assumed you were
expecting him to reverse.

And you must have made such a suggestion for him to be telling you he
is not allowed to.

I said nothing to him, his outburst was unprovoked

How on earth do you "know" that falsehood?

Don't understand, what falsehood.

The falsehood that you wrote, but then snipped from the reply just so
that you could "not understand".

Namely "Well al least we all now know that you support violence and
aggression and fowl language rather than do what is expected."

Of course I don't. And I would be amazed if what actually happened
was even close to being as simple as you paint it.

But if I was driving something several times as large as the other
vehicle, with seriously restricted rearward visibility, and had got
into a situation (whether by my mistake or his), then I would expect
the other vehicle to be the one who reverses.

Which is what happened so why was it necessary to swear and threaten
violence but then some people are mentally deranged and jumped to
violence at the slightest provocation but then you indicated in the
same situation you would have reacted as the bus driver did.

Liar.

Are you in the habit of telling people they are ****ing morons if they
happen to get in your way or do you just whack them one without the
insult.

Neither, of course.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Fad: In one era and out the other.
Old February 7th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb 2006 07:48:35 -0800, "PhilD" wrote:

All it takes is a little courtesy, whoever may or may not be in the
right or wrong. There may have been an error of judgement on the part
of either driver. Common sense and courtesy says that the smaller,
more manoeuvrable vehicle should reverse/give way (subject to other
traffic behind). After that, a simple smile and "sorry" can work
wonders.

As he gives more details, it appears that both drivers made mistakes.

It also appears likely that the bus driver *thought* that the OP was
expecting him to reverse, because the OP waited before doing so (the
fact that it was because he stalled would probably not have been
evident to the bus driver).

That still does not excuse threats by the bus driver, or even swearing
(particularly if he had passengers on board). But it does make it
understandable he would be annoyed.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You will never be younger than you are today..
Old February 7th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alex Heney wrote:
On 7 Feb 2006 02:53:33 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

I'm not surprised that driving a bus is stressful if you go around
telling other road users that they are ****ing morons.

It was clearly justified, but he still shouldn't have called you that.

Well al least we all now know that you support violence and aggression
and fowl language rather than do what is expected.

Now if you read those three lines in quick succession, you'll see that Alex
does NOT support violence and aggression.

Hint: just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're
siding with others who disagree with you

And if you expect a bus, full of people, to reverse, just so you don't have
to, then you are an asshat. And no, I don't support violence, baby-eating
or anything else you can think of

Old February 7th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
Had a run in with a nice employee of Arriva this morning who called me
a ****ing moron because I didn't know that PSV drivers aren't allowed
to reverse. Now I am not an expert on the law regarding PSV drivers so
can somebody confirm that it is a fact that they are not allowed to
reverse. Seems bonkers to me.
Whether thay can or can't reverse I take it that they can't call
members of the public ****ing morons or threaten to punch them in the
face.

Kevin

on whose side of the road was the obstruction that prevented you from
passing each other in the carriageway?

Old February 7th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Guy Fawkes wrote:
Kev wrote:

Had a run in with a nice employee of Arriva this morning who called me
a ****ing moron because I didn't know that PSV drivers aren't allowed
to reverse. Now I am not an expert on the law regarding PSV drivers so
can somebody confirm that it is a fact that they are not allowed to
reverse. Seems bonkers to me.
Whether thay can or can't reverse I take it that they can't call
members of the public ****ing morons or threaten to punch them in the
face.

Kevin

on whose side of the road was the obstruction that prevented you from
passing each other in the carriageway?

I think the OP answered that in previous posts. The bus was overtaking a
line of parked cars, using the OP's lane. So the obstruction was on the
bus driver's side.

Hence the OP getting miffed when the bus driver went past what the OP
thought was a useable gap in the parked cars and continued to the point
where neither vehicle could go further.

At around that time, the OP stalled - with the bus driver possibly
taking his immobility as an indicator that the OP was waiting for the
bus to reverse, rather than reverse himself.

The OP then reversed but, when the bus driver drew level, said bus
driver did say norty words to the OP and stated that buses aren't
allowed to reverse.

Which raised the question, "Are they allowed?"

Which raised the point as to whether they are legally allowed to reverse
on the public highway, wehn carrying passengers and not following the
instructions of a police officer, etc. Their employers tend to rather
insist that they must not do it.

I only drive the things. I don't believe it to be illegal. I happily do
it if the situation warrants - eg the other guy has a trailer, is
driving something bigger, is crap at reversing, etc.

But I suppose that I should know whether it was actually illegal, or not.

--

Sue

--
Sue

Old February 7th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:17:37 -0000, "J Lynch"
wrote:

The registration form that is supplied to the Traffic Commissioner used to
have (and possibly still does has) a section that specifically asks for any
reversing points on the route to be listed. I have both travelled on buses
as a passenger and driven a bus that is scheduled to make such moves, in
passenger service, amazingly enough without any supervision, or problem.

It still does. I had to do the documentation for our four services
recently, and three of those include reversals en-route. As we have
different outward and inward routes, it follows that we are always
likely to have passengers on board when we reverse.

That's not including reversing at the terminus.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old February 7th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

In article , =?UTF-
8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= writes
Which raised the point as to whether they are legally allowed to reverse
on the public highway, wehn carrying passengers and not following the
instructions of a police officer, etc. Their employers tend to rather
insist that they must not do it.

I only drive the things. I don't believe it to be illegal. I happily do
it if the situation warrants - eg the other guy has a trailer, is
driving something bigger, is crap at reversing, etc.

But I suppose that I should know whether it was actually illegal, or
not.

The impression I have got from this thread is that it is probably not
forbidden by law, but is a rule imposed by many bus companies.
--
Thoss
Old February 7th 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:
In article , =?UTF-
8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= writes

Which raised the point as to whether they are legally allowed to reverse
on the public highway, wehn carrying passengers and not following the
instructions of a police officer, etc. Their employers tend to rather
insist that they must not do it.

I only drive the things. I don't believe it to be illegal. I happily do
it if the situation warrants - eg the other guy has a trailer, is
driving something bigger, is crap at reversing, etc.

But I suppose that I should know whether it was actually illegal, or
not.

The impression I have got from this thread is that it is probably not
forbidden by law, but is a rule imposed by many bus companies.

Yep, I would agree. But buses have been around a long time and there
could be some law about not reversing horse-drawn ones, dating back to
the Roman Occupation - or something similar - that never has been
repealed. It might only be lawful to back the thing under the
supervision of a postiglione..

--
Sue

Old February 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Kev ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

I have to make sure that the road behind is clear, it is dark and I
reverse up, the engine has stalled so I have to restart the engine
before doing so.

Have you actually passed a driving test?