Old February 13th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default m25 to m3 london

Hi,

I was wondeirng if someone could help me. As you approach London on the m25
there are 3 overhead signs one to head towards heathrow and the other 2
lanes say m3 london can anyone tell me where about those lanes take you in
London ?

TIA

Old February 13th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

souls ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I was wondeirng if someone could help me. As you approach London on
the m25

Eh?

The M25 doesn't "approach" London, it goes round it. Do you mean the M3?

there are 3 overhead signs one to head towards heathrow and
the other 2 lanes say m3 london can anyone tell me where about those
lanes take you in London ?

A map can.

www.streetmap.co.uk is probably a good start.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...0&y=167860&z=4
Old February 13th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
souls ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I was wondeirng if someone could help me. As you approach London on
the m25

Eh?

The M25 doesn't "approach" London, it goes round it. Do you mean the M3?

Sorry meant the m3

there are 3 overhead signs one to head towards heathrow and
the other 2 lanes say m3 london can anyone tell me where about those
lanes take you in London ?

A map can.

www.streetmap.co.uk is probably a good start.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...0&y=167860&z=4

Thanks for the links give them a look now.

Old February 13th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
souls ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I was wondeirng if someone could help me. As you approach London on
the m25

Eh?

The M25 doesn't "approach" London, it goes round it. Do you mean the M3?

there are 3 overhead signs one to head towards heathrow and
the other 2 lanes say m3 london can anyone tell me where about those
lanes take you in London ?

A map can.

www.streetmap.co.uk is probably a good start.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...0&y=167860&z=4

What I was trying to do was find the best exit to get off at. I will be
heading towards clapham common. Had a look on the rac route planner provided
some help. Absolutely usleless at reading maps.

Old February 13th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

souls wrote:

What I was trying to do was find the best exit to get off at. I
will be heading towards clapham common. Had a look on the rac route
planner provided some help. Absolutely usleless at reading maps.

Continue on M3 to its London end (Junction 1, at Sunbury Cross). Don't
take the exit slip road, continue straight ahead over the flyover which
leads directly on to the A316.

Follow A316 for about 8 miles, passing close to Twickenham and Richmond
until you come to traffic lights at Chalkers Corner where the A205 South
Circular Road crosses the A316.

Turn right on to the South Circular, and follow it through Putney and
Wandsworth to Clapham Common. You'll find the South Circular congested
and slow, but it's the easiest route to follow if you're not good with
maps. Keep a good look out for the signs though, as the A205 South
Circular makes quite a lot of turns.

On the other hand, now is your chance to improve your map skills! The
whole route is at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...0120&ay=175880 .
The arrow points to Chalkers Corner. Clapham Common is the white bit
above the R of WANDSWORTH.

--
Richard J.

Old February 14th 06, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
souls wrote:

[...]

alternatively, if you want Clapham common, don't get on the M3 at all, but
go on the A3 instead, and it leads directly to Clapham common.

Michael

Old February 14th 06, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:13:18 -0000, "souls"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.244.170...
souls ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I was wondeirng if someone could help me. As you approach London on
the m25

Eh?

The M25 doesn't "approach" London, it goes round it. Do you mean the M3?

there are 3 overhead signs one to head towards heathrow and
the other 2 lanes say m3 london can anyone tell me where about those
lanes take you in London ?

A map can.

www.streetmap.co.uk is probably a good start.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...0&y=167860&z=4

What I was trying to do was find the best exit to get off at. I will be
heading towards clapham common. Had a look on the rac route planner provided
some help. Absolutely usleless at reading maps.

It's a fairly straightforward drive.

Stay on the M3 towards London. The motorway ends at Sunbury and leads
straight into the A316. Stay on the A316 (still dual carriageway,
lots of roundabouts) through the edge of Twickenham and Richmond,
through Sheen, until you get to the A205 South Circular. Turn right
onto the A205. Stay on the A205 - note it isn't a straight road but
is clearly signed - until you see Clapham Common

Martin
Old February 14th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
souls wrote:

[...]

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=515000,175000
&st=4&ar=N&ax=520120&ay=175880 .
The arrow points to Chalkers Corner. Clapham Common is the white bit
above the R of WANDSWORTH.

thanks for the directions Richard.

Will get myself a map this afternoon and try turning it in the direction I'm
going.

I tested one of those sat nav gadgets and found it wanted to take me all
over the place, told me to exit at some odd places, I gave it the benefit of
the doubt the first time I used it and well never did again, just relied on
signs. But I think it might be better to learn to read a map. I was coming
back from eastleigh and its pretty much a straighforward drive, then I get
near London and seem to make a pigs ear of it, I get off at the heathrow
exit and head to hammersmith where I sit in a lot of traffice usually,
sometimes moves quickly, but because of all the gatso cameras somone infront
of me brakes hard even though it looked like they was inside the speed
limit, bit annoying so trying to find another way around all this. Thats
basically my jounrney from Eastliegh to London and vice versa.

I takes me on roughly 2 hours to make the jounrney sometimes a little more.

Thanks

Old February 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
souls wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the direction guys much appreciated.

Followed it on a map not long ago ... looks straightforward enough even for
me ... I've got an auwful sense of direction.

Again, thanks.

Old February 14th 06, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

souls ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Thanks for the direction guys much appreciated.

Followed it on a map not long ago ... looks straightforward enough
even for me ... I've got an auwful sense of direction.

Clapham Junction Station might be useful, then.