London Banter

-   -   DLR to Charing Cross? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3897-dlr-charing-cross.html)

THC February 25th 06 08:45 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

THC

Paul Oter February 25th 06 09:16 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

THC wrote:
The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

One would have thought so, though it seems a bit fanciful to me,
especially as the suggestion only takes up a few sentences of a very
long article and doesn't seem to be much more than a vague aspiration.
My guess is that a sub-editor spotted the mention of a CX extension and
decided to splash it on the cover.

The MR article suggests that such a scheme "would make commuting to
Canary Wharf a more feasible prospect for thousands of Kent and Sussex
residents."

How? Wouldn't it be much quicker for Canary Wharf workers commuting on
the Kent lines to change to the Jubilee at London Bridge (or even
Waterloo East) than remain on the train and change to the DLR at
Charing X?

PaulO

Peter Smyth February 25th 06 09:17 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

"THC" wrote in message
oups.com...
The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

Bearing in mind the District/Circle lines already go from Monument to
Embankment, I am not sure what the point would be of a parallel DLR route.

Peter Smyth

Dave Arquati February 25th 06 10:43 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

Peter Smyth wrote:
"THC" wrote in message
oups.com...
The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

Bearing in mind the District/Circle lines already go from Monument to
Embankment, I am not sure what the point would be of a parallel DLR route.

Don't forget that the Fleet Line (aka Jubilee) was originally planned in
two phases - the first was Baker St to Charing Cross, and the second was
Charing Cross to Fenchurch Street via Aldwych, Ludgate Circus and Cannon
Street - which is presumably very similar to any mooted DLR route.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Paul Scott February 25th 06 10:45 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"THC" wrote in message
oups.com...
The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

Bearing in mind the District/Circle lines already go from Monument to
Embankment, I am not sure what the point would be of a parallel DLR route.

Peter Smyth

Don't people generally prefer a journey with fewer mode changes - IIRC the
Victoria line didn't actually go anywhere new, as opened.

Paul

MIG February 25th 06 11:54 AM

DLR to Charing Cross?

THC wrote:
The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX. I'd have treated it with the usual
bucket of salt had it appeared in RAIL, but such a story in MR must
surely be afforded more credibility, no?

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

THC

The DLR arrives at Bank facing north. There would have to be some kind
of very wide loop to point it towards Charing Cross.

Also, there tend to be fairly easy routes to the Charing Cross area
from places where you can get on the DLR.

It would be both more useful and more practical to extend it north, eg
to St Pancras.

John Rowland February 25th 06 12:14 PM

DLR to Charing Cross?

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Peter Smyth wrote:

Bearing in mind the District/Circle lines already go
from Monument to Embankment, I am not sure
what the point would be of a parallel DLR route.

Don't forget that the Fleet Line (aka Jubilee) was originally
planned in two phases - the first was Baker St to Charing
Cross, and the second was Charing Cross to Fenchurch
Street via Aldwych, Ludgate Circus and Cannon Street -
which is presumably very similar to any mooted DLR route.

And the route might even still be safeguarded. A certain amount of reusable
infrastructure exists along the route, such as holes through the foundations
of the office block at Cannon Street station, and nearly-large-enough
tunnels from Aldwych to Charing Cross, lift shaft at Aldwych, escalator
shaft with escalators at Charing Cross. The WWII bomb site at Blackfriars,
which was kept for Fleet/Jubilee construction access, was built on in the
last few years.

John Rowland February 25th 06 01:31 PM

DLR to Charing Cross?

"John Rowland" wrote in message

And the route might even still be safeguarded. A certain
amount of reusable infrastructure exists along the route,
such as holes through the foundations of the office block at Cannon Street
station,

..... (which I now realise the algnment could not possibly reach )...

Laurence Payne February 25th 06 05:41 PM

DLR to Charing Cross?

On 25 Feb 2006 04:54:21 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

Also, there tend to be fairly easy routes to the Charing Cross area
from places where you can get on the DLR.

How can there "tend to be" routes? Are there, or aren't there? :-)

MIG February 25th 06 06:40 PM

DLR to Charing Cross?

wrote:

Also, there tend to be fairly easy routes to the Charing Cross area
from places where you can get on the DLR.

How can there "tend to be" routes? Are there, or aren't there? :-)

Depends what time of what day and what engineering works there are.

But to be honest, I think that there must be better priorities for
London than extending that bit of DLR at all. Both Charing Cross and
Euston are likely destinations for me from that direction, but both are
pretty easy to get to really.