London Banter

-   -   Bendy buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3906-bendy-buses.html)

thoss March 2nd 06 08:12 AM

Bendy buses

Yesterday's Evening Standard had as its main story that Ken Livingstone
was thinking of scrapping all bendy buses. I'm surprised that there has
been nothing on this here.
--
Thoss

[To reply, replace * with . in Reply-To address]

Paul March 2nd 06 08:26 AM

Bendy buses

"thoss" wrote in message
Yesterday's Evening Standard had as its main story that Ken Livingstone
was thinking of scrapping all bendy buses. I'm surprised that there has
been nothing on this here.
--
Thoss

Maybe because that wasn't what he said just the Standard's "spin" on it

From someone who was at the "meeting" "He made it clear that he recognises
they are not working -as well- on *some routes* compared to others, and that
they were working very well on high
volume short distance routes, but they are looking at the way they work on
the longer routes, re-iterating that only 300 of 8,000 buses are bendy.
This being in response to a question that wondered why double-deckers were
not being used."

Paul

Jim March 2nd 06 08:48 AM

Bendy buses

"thoss" wrote in message
Yesterday's Evening Standard had as its main story that Ken Livingstone
was thinking of scrapping all bendy buses. I'm surprised that there has
been nothing on this here.
--

I think people on here know, from bitter experience, to ignore every word
that appears in that newspaper.

It is so transparent that they have their own axe to grind, regardless of
the truth, that reading their stories winds me up even when I agree with
what they're saying!

Jim

thoss March 2nd 06 04:02 PM

Bendy buses

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 Paul wrote:

"thoss" wrote in message
Yesterday's Evening Standard had as its main story that Ken Livingstone
was thinking of scrapping all bendy buses. I'm surprised that there has
been nothing on this here.
--
Thoss

Maybe because that wasn't what he said just the Standard's "spin" on it

From someone who was at the "meeting" "He made it clear that he recognises
they are not working -as well- on *some routes* compared to others, and that
they were working very well on high
volume short distance routes, but they are looking at the way they work on
the longer routes, re-iterating that only 300 of 8,000 buses are bendy.
This being in response to a question that wondered why double-deckers were
not being used."

Thanks for putting it in perspective.

MIG March 2nd 06 06:08 PM

Bendy buses

Jim wrote:
"thoss" wrote in message
Yesterday's Evening Standard had as its main story that Ken Livingstone
was thinking of scrapping all bendy buses. I'm surprised that there has
been nothing on this here.
--

I think people on here know, from bitter experience, to ignore every word
that appears in that newspaper.

It is so transparent that they have their own axe to grind, regardless of
the truth, that reading their stories winds me up even when I agree with
what they're saying!

I feel the same about the Standard, yet probably agree with them if
they don't like bendy buses.

Double-deck trains and bendy buses: two solutions looking for a problem.

John Rowland March 2nd 06 06:17 PM

Bendy buses

"MIG" wrote in message
oups.com...

Double-deck trains and bendy buses: two solutions looking for a problem.

Thats clever, I never thought of it like that.

Phil Clark March 2nd 06 08:19 PM

Bendy buses

On 2 Mar 2006 11:08:28 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

I feel the same about the Standard, yet probably agree with them if
they don't like bendy buses.

I wonder if they're used on the right routes - I don't use buses that
often, but they do seem to have a habit of blocking junctions and
generally getting in the way. However on some roads, mainly
straighter, wider ones with relatively few junctions, they seem to
work well. So maybe... the bus routes need reviewing and perhaps
changing so that routes suitable for bendy buses are created.

Dr Ivan D. Reid March 2nd 06 09:40 PM

Bendy buses

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:19:38 GMT, Phil Clark
wrote in :

I wonder if they're used on the right routes - I don't use buses that
often, but they do seem to have a habit of blocking junctions and
generally getting in the way. However on some roads, mainly
straighter, wider ones with relatively few junctions, they seem to
work well. So maybe... the bus routes need reviewing and perhaps
changing so that routes suitable for bendy buses are created.

A bit more attention to keeping parked cars off busy streets might
help, too. For a while I travelled regularly on the 114 from Mill Hill
Broadway to Harrow-otH; the bus was continually being blocked by oncoming
traffic because parked cars made the road effectively one lane -- even on
one stretch where most houses had a garage, a front yard, and a driveway
crossing first a lawn, then a footpath, then even more lawn. If the streets
along the route had been no-parking zones during the hours I travelled, the
journey times would have been cut by 1/3 to 1/2.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

M J Forbes March 2nd 06 09:46 PM

Bendy buses

"Boltar" wrote in message

I actually quite like the bendy buses. They're very quick to board and
get off.
No crowding around the single narrow doorway with people half falling
down the stairs like you get on a double decker.

I actually agree on this, for the reasons stated above, however, I do feel
that the problems that others have stated regarding the suitability of
Bendys on some routes could do with review. Something long-distance and
reasonably straight - the 207/607 (before they split them) would be (in my
humble wotsit) be ideal - presumably this is why the route was chosen for
the trials back in -erm- 2001?

Cheers

Matt

Helen Deborah Vecht March 2nd 06 11:24 PM

Bendy buses

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" typed

A bit more attention to keeping parked cars off busy streets might
help, too. For a while I travelled regularly on the 114 from Mill Hill
Broadway to Harrow-otH; the bus was continually being blocked by oncoming
traffic because parked cars made the road effectively one lane -- even on
one stretch where most houses had a garage, a front yard, and a driveway
crossing first a lawn, then a footpath, then even more lawn. If the streets
along the route had been no-parking zones during the hours I travelled, the
journey times would have been cut by 1/3 to 1/2.

Don't you just *love* Mollison Way?

You didn't mention the lamentable progress the buses made on the days
the bins were emptied, when things were even worse.

I too have commuted on that stretch of the 114 route.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.