London Banter

-   -   big blue buildings (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3922-big-blue-buildings.html)

darsy March 9th 06 10:48 AM

big blue buildings

On the Liverpool Street - Seven Sisters One-railways line, just north
of Hackney Downs station, there's a huge blue-painted building.

Anyone any ideas what it is? I use this line twice a day, and it's
always been a bit of a (minor) mystery.

--
d.

[email protected] March 9th 06 11:02 AM

big blue buildings

It's an academy or college or whatever they call schools these days.

darsy March 9th 06 12:14 PM

big blue buildings

"Paul Oter" wrote:

wrote:
It's an academy or college or whatever they call schools these days.

It's a school: Mossbourne Community Academy.

Designed by The Richard Rogers Partnership, apparently.

The school's website is
http://www.mossbourne.hackney.sch.uk/

".sch.uk" - WTF happened to .ac.uk? Bloody Nominet meddlers!

There's a photo of the front of the school at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossbou...munity_Academy

that's the bugger.

Thanks.
--
d.

www.waspies.net March 9th 06 12:18 PM

big blue buildings

darsy wrote:
On the Liverpool Street - Seven Sisters One-railways line, just north
of Hackney Downs station, there's a huge blue-painted building.

Anyone any ideas what it is? I use this line twice a day, and it's
always been a bit of a (minor) mystery.

If it's blue maybe it the HQ of Paul Raymond:)

Neil Williams March 9th 06 02:12 PM

big blue buildings

darsy wrote:

".sch.uk" - WTF happened to .ac.uk? Bloody Nominet meddlers!

..sch.uk has been around for ages. It's locally-administrated (I think)
hence the hackney bit.

..ac.uk remains, and is for higher/further education institutions as it
always was.

Neil

Paul Oter March 9th 06 03:13 PM

big blue buildings

darsy wrote:
"Paul Oter" wrote:

wrote:
It's an academy or college or whatever they call schools these days.

It's a school: Mossbourne Community Academy.

Designed by The Richard Rogers Partnership, apparently.

(snip)

There's a photo of the front of the school at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossbou...munity_Academy

that's the bugger.

Incidentally, the school is immediately north of Hackney Downs station,
with the Seven Sisters branch passing on one side and the Tottenham
Hale branch passing on the other. It looks big and blue whichever line
you see it from.

PaulO

Clive D. W. Feather March 14th 06 08:03 AM

big blue buildings

In article . com, Neil
Williams writes
".sch.uk" - WTF happened to .ac.uk? Bloody Nominet meddlers!

.sch.uk has been around for ages. It's locally-administrated (I think)
hence the hackney bit.

It's locally organised - each school is named within its LEA - but
centrally administered.

.ac.uk remains, and is for higher/further education institutions as it
always was.

Right.

[Posting as a member of, but not on behalf of, the Nominet Policy
Advisory Board.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

James Farrar March 14th 06 11:04 PM

big blue buildings

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:03:02 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article . com, Neil
Williams writes
".sch.uk" - WTF happened to .ac.uk? Bloody Nominet meddlers!

.sch.uk has been around for ages. It's locally-administrated (I think)
hence the hackney bit.

It's locally organised - each school is named within its LEA - but
centrally administered.

.ac.uk remains, and is for higher/further education institutions as it
always was.

Right.

And museums, right?

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Roland Perry March 15th 06 07:18 AM

big blue buildings

In message , at 00:04:33 on
Wed, 15 Mar 2006, James Farrar remarked:
.ac.uk remains, and is for higher/further education institutions as it
always was.

Right.

And museums, right?

The rules are at:

http://www.ja.net/services/connectio...n/registering-
ac/eligibility/index.html

(Note, it is JANET, not Nominet, who administer ac.uk)

Also:
"Note: The approval system in place prior to 1 August 1996 gave
rise to a number of anomalies whereby names were accepted which
do not conform to current rules as to eligibility and format.
These anomalies could not be rectified retrospectively by UKERNA
and the names registered remain in use. The existence of these
names does not set any precedent governing the consideration of
new applications."

http://www.ja.net/services/connectio...ain/index.html