London Banter

-   -   Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/399-proper-pronounciation-aldwych.html)

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 12:24 AM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

For some place names in England, there are different pronunciations in
use, and it doesn't matter very much which you use. But Aldwych is not
one of those. Anyone asking for directions to "Al-ick" or "Al-itch"
will not be understood.

Another example: a man on a tube train wanted directions to Brixton,
but he was from Guinea, his first language was French, and he pronounced
Brixton in a way which seemed natural to him. It sounded very much like
Bristol, and we nearly directed him to Paddington, until he said
"Streatham Hill, near Brissto'", and then we understood. It *does*
matter, Ben!

Yes, if you believe residents of Walsall you'd think they were referring
to the capital of Poland.

--
Colin Rosenstiel