London Banter

-   -   Shepherd's Bush WLL station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3990-shepherds-bush-wll-station.html)

Dave Arquati March 16th 06 11:05 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In case anyone is interested, progress on this is now truly underway,
with work going on from the northbound carriageway of the West Cross
Route to clear the area below for the southbound platform, and what
looks like preparatory work to lower the embankment on the northbound side.

Interestingly, the work seems to have uncovered what looks like the
remains of an old platform on the northbound side, which I thought might
be left over from the old Uxbridge Road station, but it's far too high
for the trains. Was the WLL lowered significantly here in preparation
for the West Cross Route and Holland Park Roundabout which it now passes
underneath?

It's a shame the station work has started so late - I would have very
much liked to use it a couple of days ago, when instead I had to hurry
down to Olympia and cram myself on with everyone else there... (also
evidence of the very high demand for these inner orbital lines, which I
know some posters doubted a while ago!).

I look forward to a TfL-managed WLL with through services to the NLL and
a new station at the Bush!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

John Rowland March 16th 06 11:24 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

In case anyone is interested

Yes, thanks. Is there any progress on the Chelsea Harbour station?

TheOneKEA March 16th 06 01:29 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Dave Arquati wrote:
In case anyone is interested, progress on this is now truly underway,
with work going on from the northbound carriageway of the West Cross
Route to clear the area below for the southbound platform, and what
looks like preparatory work to lower the embankment on the northbound side.

Is there any sign of extension to the OHLE? It has always been said
that the stop at Mitre Bridge Junction to change voltage eats paths.
Extending the OHLE to the new station and allowing the voltage change
to occur during station duties a la Farringdon would be sensible IMO.

asdf March 16th 06 01:55 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On 16 Mar 2006 06:29:12 -0800, "TheOneKEA"
wrote:

Is there any sign of extension to the OHLE? It has always been said
that the stop at Mitre Bridge Junction to change voltage eats paths.
Extending the OHLE to the new station and allowing the voltage change
to occur during station duties a la Farringdon would be sensible IMO.

From the draft Cross-London RUS:

Assessment of Option 9

Description
Move the AC/DC changeover on the WLL to Shepherds Bush station

Issue
The AC/DC changeover on the West London line is currently located
between North Pole depot and Mitre Bridge Junction. This requires all
electric services to stop in section to effect the changeover, costing
around 2 minutes per train. The opportunity therefore exists to look
at moving the changeover point to the planned station at Shepherds
Bush.

Recommendation
The electrification engineer has advised that the cost of the
alteration would be prohibitive, due to the need for extensive
immunisation of the signalling equipment on the surrounding routes,
including the lines operated by London Underground. However, it is
understood that the Hammersmith & City line is due to be re-signalled
in 2013, and this may give the opportunity for the issue to be
revisited.

The full draft RUS is available at:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/company...nsultation.htm

[email protected] March 16th 06 03:38 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Dave Arquati
writes

Interestingly, the work seems to have uncovered what looks like the
remains of an old platform on the northbound side, which I thought
might be left over from the old Uxbridge Road station, but it's far too
high for the trains. Was the WLL lowered significantly here in
preparation for the West Cross Route and Holland Park Roundabout which
it now passes underneath?

Its possible the WLL was lowered - old pictures of the station show a
very shallow cutting. But the WLL crosses the Central Line at this
point, which is already rising towards the surface, so I shouldn't have
thought there was much room to go down.

Is the old platform immediately adjacent to Uxbridge Road? If so, it
would probably be Uxbridge Road station. But 100 yards further north is
the site of the original (1844) Shepherd's Bush station - it closed
within a year, so it would be quite a find if any of that came to light!

--
Paul Terry

[email protected] March 16th 06 03:46 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Recommendation
"The electrification engineer has advised that the cost of the
alteration would be prohibitive, due to the need for extensive
immunisation of the signalling equipment on the surrounding routes,
including the lines operated by London Underground. However, it is
understood that the Hammersmith & City line is due to be re-signalled
in 2013, and this may give the opportunity for the issue to be
revisited. "

The short-sightedness of the foregoing quote beggars belief!

OF COURSE the stop for the change-over North of Mitre Bridge "eats
paths". Indeed, I remember the less than enthusiastic response of
Railtrack to having new stations built at Shepherd's Bush and Imperial
Wharf (of which - still no sign whatsoever!) because of "capacity
issues", i.e. the additional stopping time would similarly "eat paths".

That being so, with the work now going on at Shepherd's Bush, and the
inevitable disruption that this will cause, NOW is the best time to
move the change-over point to that location, so that at least the net
loss will be minimised, with that station stop more-or-less equating to
the time saved by no longer having the Mitre Bridge delay,

And, surely it MUST be cheaper to do that work now, rather than in
several years' time when service paths will have beeen settled, and a
whole load of new disruption will be caused.

Why oh why must our railway masters be sh short-sighted and
mean-fisted? When compared to the mega costs of the nonsense at St.
Pancras, where millions of domestic passengers have been and will
continue to be inconvenienced by the move Northwards of the domestic
terminal, in favour of holidaymakers and businessmen who want to get to
or from Europe a few minutes faster than they already can via Waterloo,
the cost of moving the Mitre Bridge changeover location would be a mere
pimple.

And I do not understand what the hell resignalling of the Hammersmith
and City Line has to do with this at all!

End of rant!

Marc.

Tom Anderson March 16th 06 08:10 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, wrote:

[...]

No - the crucial phrase is "the need for extensive immunisation of the
signalling equipment on the surrounding routes, including the lines
operated by London Underground"; pushing OHLE south of its current extent
would require masses of work on the other lines. Waiting until the H&C is
being resignalled anyway lets that get done at little additional cost.

What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was
done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not
wiring it up to the mains. With any luck, the changeover could then be
done just by setting some jumpers in a cable cabinet somewhere, rather
than having to get the permanent way gang out again.

And I do not understand what the hell resignalling of the Hammersmith
and City Line has to do with this at all!

This, i have to admit, is a puzzle - how the hell is the H&C wired to the
WLL?

Why oh why must our railway masters be sh short-sighted and mean-fisted?
When compared to the mega costs of the nonsense at St. Pancras, where
millions of domestic passengers have been and will continue to be
inconvenienced by the move Northwards of the domestic terminal, in
favour of holidaymakers and businessmen who want to get to or from
Europe a few minutes faster than they already can via Waterloo,

Because (a) this allows the CTRL phase 2 to be built, increasing speed and
reducing congestion in the south London network, and (b) there are a lot
more people north of London than south. Give up!

tom

--
If I want consciousness expansion, i go to my local tabernacle and i SING!

Tom Anderson March 16th 06 08:11 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

(also evidence of the very high demand for these inner orbital lines,
which I know some posters doubted a while ago!).

[shakes fist]

I'll get you next time, Arquati!

tom

--
If I want consciousness expansion, i go to my local tabernacle and i SING!

[email protected] March 16th 06 08:48 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

"What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was

done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not

wiring it up to the mains."

We can but live in hope, Tom!

"Because (a) this allows the CTRL phase 2 to be built"

Yes, I gather that...

"increasing speed"

.... by a few minutes....

"and reducing congestion in the south London network"

Will removing (is it 2 or 3 per hour) a few Eurostar trains from the
South of London will hardly cause such a dramatic change will it? And,
as for the vacated terminal at Waterloo (itself built at vast expense
and admitted reduction of Waterloo domestic handling capacity), I
understand that rather than returning it to railway use, a shopping
centre is being mooted!

"(b) there are a lot more people north of London than south."

Yes, but is that really the reason behind this move to St. Pancras? I
thought it had something to do with the political goal of a high-speed
link for its own sake rather than there actually being a pressing need
for such. That, surely, must be the reason why all of St. Pancras'
domestic passengers have been given the two-finger salute as they
struggle alonng a dirty, narrow, unsafe and overcrowded passage that
was Pancras Road, to a station so badly designed that its escalators
actually face the wrong direction to the main traffic flow, and whose
departure boards are hidden like State secrets well away from view!

"Give up!"

Indeed, so appalling do I find the new St. Pancras interchange that I
will find ANY alternative changing arrangements when travelling North
next time. Surely this travesty of a station should be called Pancras
North or similar, and unsuspecting passengers who are so naive to
believe they can get from Underground to mainline train in less than 15
minutes should be warned of what they can expect.

Marc.

John Rowland March 17th 06 02:55 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, wrote:

Recommendation

"The electrification engineer has advised that the cost of the
alteration would be prohibitive, due to the need for extensive
immunisation of the signalling equipment on the surrounding routes,
including the lines operated by London Underground. However, it is
understood that the Hammersmith & City line is due to be re-signalled
in 2013, and this may give the opportunity for the issue to be
revisited. "

What might be sensible would be if preparatory work
for the change was done now - for instance, stringing
catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not wiring it up to the mains.

I can see the Evening Standard headline now.

It would also make it easy for tinkers to pinch the catenary and sell it for
scrap.

PhilD March 17th 06 07:31 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, wrote:
This, i have to admit, is a puzzle - how the hell is the H&C wired to the
WLL?

It's not. The important thing, however, is the electromagnetic
interference caused by high voltages and alternating currents. This
interference can work "at a distance", and can cause signalling
circuits (amongst other things) to misbehave. I'm sure that we all
agree that it's not a goot idea to mess with safety systems without
suitable safeguards (that is, immunising them).

PhilD

Paul Corfield March 17th 06 08:03 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:05:51 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

It's a shame the station work has started so late - I would have very
much liked to use it a couple of days ago, when instead I had to hurry
down to Olympia and cram myself on with everyone else there... (also
evidence of the very high demand for these inner orbital lines, which I
know some posters doubted a while ago!).

I've had cause to use some of the NLL recently and have been surprised
how busy it is. Even the dear old GOBLIN carries decent loads despite
the slow speed and poor frequency.

I happened to see one of Southern's trains at West Brompton (heading
south) mid afternoon and it was well loaded too. Similar comments apply
to one I saw in the evening peak waiting to depart from Watford. I was
surprised that it was as busy as it looked - especially as the DfT are
looking to reduce or curtail the Watford - Brighton service if my memory
serves.

I look forward to a TfL-managed WLL with through services to the NLL and
a new station at the Bush!

Well yes but I fear there are going to be huge issues to deal with -
most notably the willingness of Network Rail to co-operate at a price
that is affordable. The reliance placed on these lines for the Olympics
(and London's transport needs) gives a number of parties massive
leverage against TfL. You can detect where the issues may arise in this
very recent London Assembly report

http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/re...ondon-line.pdf

--
Paul C

Dave Arquati March 17th 06 09:45 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

(also evidence of the very high demand for these inner orbital lines,
which I know some posters doubted a while ago!).

[shakes fist]

I'll get you next time, Arquati!

tom

You shouldn't have said anything, I'd forgotten it was you!!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Dave Arquati March 17th 06 09:56 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Dave Arquati
writes

Interestingly, the work seems to have uncovered what looks like the
remains of an old platform on the northbound side, which I thought
might be left over from the old Uxbridge Road station, but it's far
too high for the trains. Was the WLL lowered significantly here in
preparation for the West Cross Route and Holland Park Roundabout which
it now passes underneath?

Its possible the WLL was lowered - old pictures of the station show a
very shallow cutting. But the WLL crosses the Central Line at this
point, which is already rising towards the surface, so I shouldn't have
thought there was much room to go down.

I should make clear that it's not a *huge* drop - about three metres I
guess. It's also at the top of the current embankment - so I wondered if
the railway had been shifted slightly eastwards too to allow it to drop
downwards. Of course, it could just be something entirely uninteresting!
It just looks a little platform-like.

Is the old platform immediately adjacent to Uxbridge Road? If so, it
would probably be Uxbridge Road station. But 100 yards further north is
the site of the original (1844) Shepherd's Bush station - it closed
within a year, so it would be quite a find if any of that came to light!

The part I could see is not immediately adjacent to it. I was looking
from the walkway alongside the roundabout, so it's a bit further north
than where Uxbridge Road used to be. Here is where I was looking from:
http://tinyurl.com/jzqdc

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Paul Terry March 17th 06 12:44 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In message , Dave Arquati
writes

I should make clear that it's not a *huge* drop - about three metres I
guess. It's also at the top of the current embankment - so I wondered
if the railway had been shifted slightly eastwards too to allow it to
drop downwards. Of course, it could just be something entirely
uninteresting! It just looks a little platform-like.

There are some photos that might help at:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad/index.shtml

--
Paul Terry

Peter Goodland March 17th 06 02:31 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

[...]

The current arrangement is temporary.
When all the work is finished there will be direct indoor access from the
new tube station ticket halls to the main line station,
but you know this already.

How are the departure boards hidden? They are straight in front of you as
you walk in the main entrance.

And 15 minutes is plenty of time, even with luggage.
Seven minutes was my time today.

--
Peter

Paul Weaver March 17th 06 02:49 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

whose departure boards are hidden like State secrets well away from view!

Left in taxis?

Clive D. W. Feather March 17th 06 03:14 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was
done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not
wiring it up to the mains.

Do you think it would still be there in 6 years time?

With any luck, the changeover could then be done just by setting some
jumpers in a cable cabinet somewhere, rather than having to get the
permanent way gang out again.

I would hope it would be deliberately made a lot harder than that. Do
you really want an accident waiting to happen?

And I do not understand what the hell resignalling of the Hammersmith
and City Line has to do with this at all!

This, i have to admit, is a puzzle - how the hell is the H&C wired to
the WLL?

It isn't, but there are such things as earth leakage and induction.

I know someone involved in the electrification work on CTRL2. He has to
worry about the fact that the Underground tube tunnels, the King's Cross
station structure, the St.Pancras station structure, and the NLL all
have different values for "earth". He reckons that if he gets things
wrong, opening a breaker at Ashford could cause a lethal change in earth
voltage at the KXSP complex.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

[email protected] March 17th 06 05:12 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Paul Terry,

You are getting your developers confused!

The developers of the Imperial Wharf scheme are St. George. At public
meetings about 7 or 8 years ago, at which there was massive local
opposition (which included Hammersmith & Fulham Council), St. George
promised that the amounts required for the railway station were already
ringfenced - this was one of the many bribes offered, which eventually
resulted in the Council betraying the local residents and then
supporting the scheme (no need for Prescott to overturn local
opposition - our local political masters were quite happy to do so
themselves!).

That has nothing to do with Circadian, who are the Lots Road Power
Station developers. Their scheme was a mere pipe dream at the time
(Lots Road Power Station was still fully functioning then!) and they
have only come onto the scene in the last few years, with, as we know,
their chief cheerleader Prescott.

So, let there be no doubt, (if St. George are to be believed), the
money for the railway station is already in place, and also (if St.
George are to be believed) the ONLY reason for the delay in the
building of that station is Railtrack (or their successor's) reluctance
- which they have expressed right from the beginning - to do anything
that increases use of that line on which, so they say, they have severe
capacity problems.

Lastly, according to today's local newspapers, Kensington & Chelsea
have abandoned any plans to judicially challenge Prescott's total
denial of local wishes. Perhaps, rather than that expensive route, they
should offer Prescott an IQ test and, just so as not to make things too
difficult for him, allow him to keep his job if he can scrape double
figures!

Marc.

[email protected] March 17th 06 05:16 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Peter Goodland,

Actually, I did not know that the present arrangements are temporary -
indeed the staff seem not to know that either since, when I asked one
of them, he agreed that this was a lamentable change and mentioned
nothing about it being temporary either!

The departure boards on the platform level is what I was referring to.
I did not even see any at the entrance as I came in - I was too busy
searching for the escalators!

Seven minutes is hardly something to boast about! Why should domestic
passengers have to be so inconvenienced (to say nothing of being denied
the use of one of London's finest Gothic buildings) at all?

Moreover, I'd suggest 7 minutes when going AGAINST the morning commuter
flow, as I invariably would be, is rather optimistic!

Marc.

[email protected] March 17th 06 05:41 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

wrote:
Peter Goodland,

Actually, I did not know that the present arrangements are temporary -
indeed the staff seem not to know that either since, when I asked one
of them, he agreed that this was a lamentable change and mentioned
nothing about it being temporary either!

snip

Seven minutes is hardly something to boast about! Why should domestic
passengers have to be so inconvenienced (to say nothing of being denied
the use of one of London's finest Gothic buildings) at all?

snip

The Midland Mainline platforms will be moving to the other side
(western) of the station and will still be a long way from the Euston
Road.
I think that the time taken to get to the tube will be substantially
shortened when the King's Cross northern ticket hall opens in 2009.
This will have extra access to most of the underground lines and will
also have access to the domestic platforms.
I can't immediately find an on-line plan showing this, but I think
there was a map in Modern Railways a few months ago though. Although,
there are some pictures showing the location of the new ticket hall
above ground on the tfl website.

THC March 17th 06 06:18 PM

TfL North London Railways issues paper

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:05:51 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Well yes but I fear there are going to be huge issues to deal with -
most notably the willingness of Network Rail to co-operate at a price
that is affordable. The reliance placed on these lines for the Olympics
(and London's transport needs) gives a number of parties massive
leverage against TfL. You can detect where the issues may arise in this
very recent London Assembly report

http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/re...ondon-line.pdf

Interesting to see cross-party consensus about the development of these
lines emanating from this report. There are lots of big service issues
proposed (Barking-Clapham Junction with no wires?), even some that
align with the Cross-London RUS, but I'm going to pick on a small one.
Why does the report just endorse the Stratford-Queens Park service
proposals (once the Bakerloo runs back out to Watford Jn) and not
insist that these are extended to Willesden Junction LL bay platform?
Surely that would provide more "synergy" and easier integration with
ELL phase II services to Highbury?

THC

asdf March 17th 06 06:48 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On 17 Mar 2006 10:12:04 -0800, "
wrote:

So, let there be no doubt, (if St. George are to be believed), the
money for the railway station is already in place, and also (if St.
George are to be believed) the ONLY reason for the delay in the
building of that station is Railtrack (or their successor's) reluctance
- which they have expressed right from the beginning - to do anything
that increases use of that line on which, so they say, they have severe
capacity problems.

If only they'd also insisted they pay for the voltage changeover being
moved to Shepherd's Bush, saying it was required to free up capacity
for their new station...

Paul Terry March 17th 06 07:06 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In message . com,
" writes

Paul Terry,

You are getting your developers confused!

I don't believe so.

The developers of the Imperial Wharf scheme are St. George.

Yes.

That has nothing to do with Circadian, who are the Lots Road Power
Station developers.

Yes.

So, let there be no doubt, (if St. George are to be believed), the
money for the railway station is already in place

So why does the West London Line Group say the following on ...

http://www.westlondonlinegroup.org.uk/latest_news.htm

There is a funding shortfall of £1.3 million for the proposed
station at Imperial Wharf whose estimated cost is £3 million.
The developer of the Lot's Road Power station site, St George,
had pledged a capped contribution of £1.7 million. The remaining
£1.3 will only be paid the house-builder Circadian if the 800
apartment project gets the go-ahead following the recent Public
Inquiry.

And why does Circadian's own publicity say the following on ...

http://www.circadian-uk.com/ld_pdf_2/transport.pdf

What are you doing to support the proposed West London Line in
your current scheme? We have now allocated £1 million of the
total £5 million package of transport measures to the new
passenger service. If the proposed station doesn't go ahead by
2010 the money will go towards other transport measures such as
more local bus or river bus services.

And why might http://www.twocapitals.co.uk/CTG/June05.pdf say ...

The cost of a station at Imperial Wharf would be £3 million and
developer St George is offering a maximum of £1.7 million. House
builder Circadian has offered to contribute subject to planning
permission for tower blocks at Lots Road.

So, sorry, but I think Circadian are very closely involved in the
funding package.

Lastly, according to today's local newspapers, Kensington & Chelsea
have abandoned any plans to judicially challenge Prescott's total
denial of local wishes. Perhaps, rather than that expensive route, they
should offer Prescott an IQ test and, just so as not to make things too
difficult for him, allow him to keep his job if he can scrape double
figures!

Well, I'd agree with that bit :)
--
Paul Terry

asdf March 17th 06 07:15 PM

TfL North London Railways issues paper

On 17 Mar 2006 11:18:46 -0800, "THC"
wrote:

Why does the report just endorse the Stratford-Queens Park service
proposals (once the Bakerloo runs back out to Watford Jn) and not
insist that these are extended to Willesden Junction LL bay platform?

At a guess, it's because that would involve the trains sharing tracks
with Bakerloo services, causing performance pollution. Also, the bay
at Willesden Jn is only just long enough for a 3-car train (the island
platform narrows considerably at the north end, so a fair bit of
rearranging might be needed to extend it to 6 cars, or even change the
layout to one like Arnos Grove).

[email protected] March 17th 06 10:34 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Paul,

Thanks for your detailed and interesting reply.

Two things emerge.

Firstly, although St. George in all of their rhetoric of the mid-1990s
about "funding a new station" did not, as far as I can recall, mention
anything about a cap. In any event, it was, I suppose, naive of me to
believe anything they said. I remember standing up at a public meeting
and predicting that the station would NEVER be built and, even if it
was, it would hardly have any effect on the extra car traffic that
would be generated, being on a line with a (then) twice-hourly service
between two stations that were hardly likely to be greatly used by City
commuter traffic.

Secondly, presumably, the "capped" £1.7 million from St. George would
have been sufficient to build the station had they done so 7 or 8 years
ago when that figure first arose. It is hardly surprising that the
costs have increased significantly since then. I am not for one moment
defending St. George (I opposed their scheme then and still think it is
an appalling blot on the landscape - far too many houses crammed into a
small and inaccessible area) but to be fair to them, I think they
genuinely wanted to have a railway station there, and I cannot see how
the long delay has benefited them at all. Which leads me to conclude
that there must be some truth in their protestations at the time that
Railtrack were dragging their heels in allowing the station to be
built.

As revealed in the material you have quoted, it now seems that the
costs have so escalated that Circadian are now involved. Which really
is a scandalous dereliction of duty by Hammersmith & Fulham Council
whose planning consent was given on condition that the railway station
was built BEFORE phase 2 of the Imperial Wharf scheme was started!

With years like 2010 now being quoted, not only will Imperial Wharf be
complete but the Circadian nightmare will probably be complete long
before the railway station is built.

So, come on Adam Gray and others if you are reading this: do you
remember me predicting that there would never be a railway station at
Imperial Wharf. I'd say the jury was still very much out on that one
wouldn't you?!

Marc.

Colin Rosenstiel March 18th 06 12:39 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In article .com,
() wrote:

Paul,

Thanks for your detailed and interesting reply.

Two things emerge.

Firstly, although St. George in all of their rhetoric of the mid-1990s
about "funding a new station" did not, as far as I can recall, mention
anything about a cap. In any event, it was, I suppose, naive of me to
believe anything they said. I remember standing up at a public meeting
and predicting that the station would NEVER be built and, even if it
was, it would hardly have any effect on the extra car traffic that
would be generated, being on a line with a (then) twice-hourly service
between two stations that were hardly likely to be greatly used by
City
commuter traffic.

Secondly, presumably, the "capped"

I wonder what the originally estimated costs of the station was? I
suspect it was somewhat below £1.7M and when the estimates rose above
that St George said "enough is enough" and imposed a cap.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

TheOneKEA March 18th 06 06:01 PM

THC wrote:
(Barking-Clapham Junction with no wires?)

I've always wondered about this too - it seems like a good fill-in
scheme that would be rather inexpensive. It would have the dual benefit
of releasing 150s from GoBLin duties and allowing through services as
listed from Barking, providing an alternate route for c2c users who
take the first train and change at West Ham for central London
destinations.

You might not even have to immunise the LU signalling either, which can
only help save money.

Colin Rosenstiel March 19th 06 01:34 AM

(TheOneKEA) wrote:

THC wrote:
(Barking-Clapham Junction with no wires?)

I've always wondered about this too - it seems like a good fill-in
scheme that would be rather inexpensive. It would have the dual
benefit of releasing 150s from GoBLin duties and allowing through
services as listed from Barking, providing an alternate route for c2c
users who take the first train and change at West Ham for central
London destinations.

You might not even have to immunise the LU signalling either, which
can only help save money.

The snag is shortage of 313 units, isn't it? They are using some 508s on
Euston-Watford because of it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John B March 20th 06 10:07 AM

TfL North London Railways issues paper

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
GOBLIN electrification
I've always wondered about this too - it seems like a good fill-in
scheme that would be rather inexpensive. It would have the dual
benefit of releasing 150s from GoBLin duties and allowing through
services as listed from Barking, providing an alternate route for c2c
users who take the first train and change at West Ham for central
London destinations.

You might not even have to immunise the LU signalling either, which
can only help save money.

The snag is shortage of 313 units, isn't it? They are using some 508s on
Euston-Watford because of it.

One would hope that by the time any GOBLIN electrification happens, the
313s will have been replaced. Even if not, the LUL-ification of the DC
Lines ought to free up a few units.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Tom Anderson March 20th 06 11:07 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Tom Anderson
writes

What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was
done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not
wiring it up to the mains.

Do you think it would still be there in 6 years time?

I have to admit that it had never occurred to me that people might steal
it. Okay, scratch that - but could there be other bits of work that could
be done cheaply now?

With any luck, the changeover could then be done just by setting some
jumpers in a cable cabinet somewhere, rather than having to get the
permanent way gang out again.

I would hope it would be deliberately made a lot harder than that. Do
you really want an accident waiting to happen?

You mean like maybe sticking some masking tape over it? Seems a bit
paranoid, but if you insist. :)

And I do not understand what the hell resignalling of the Hammersmith
and City Line has to do with this at all!

This, i have to admit, is a puzzle - how the hell is the H&C wired to
the WLL?

It isn't, but there are such things as earth leakage and induction.

Righto. I hadn't realised these things were powerful enough that you could
get coupling between two lines which simply cross one another on different
levels at one point.

I know someone involved in the electrification work on CTRL2. He has to
worry about the fact that the Underground tube tunnels, the King's Cross
station structure, the St.Pancras station structure, and the NLL all
have different values for "earth". He reckons that if he gets things
wrong, opening a breaker at Ashford could cause a lethal change in earth
voltage at the KXSP complex.

Eek.

tom

--
Why do we do it? - Exactly!

Aidan Stanger March 25th 06 12:31 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Tom Anderson writes
What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was
done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not
wiring it up to the mains.

Do you think it would still be there in 6 years time?

Would the people who would otherwise steal it know whether it was
switched off?

With any luck, the changeover could then be done just by setting some
jumpers in a cable cabinet somewhere, rather than having to get the
permanent way gang out again.

I would hope it would be deliberately made a lot harder than that. Do
you really want an accident waiting to happen?

That depends what "an accident waiting to happen" means. How much money
is it worth spending to avoid the combination of two very unlikely
events?

And I do not understand what the hell resignalling of the Hammersmith
and City Line has to do with this at all!

This, i have to admit, is a puzzle - how the hell is the H&C wired to
the WLL?

It isn't, but there are such things as earth leakage and induction.

I know someone involved in the electrification work on CTRL2. He has to
worry about the fact that the Underground tube tunnels, the King's Cross
station structure, the St.Pancras station structure, and the NLL all
have different values for "earth". He reckons that if he gets things
wrong, opening a breaker at Ashford could cause a lethal change in earth
voltage at the KXSP complex.

Why would a change in earth voltage be lethal?

If extending the wires is such a problem, why don't they just extend the
third rail instead? The local passenger trains would no longer need to
be dual voltage, and would therefore be cheaper. The longer distance
electric trains may still have to stop, but as they could do so while
the local trains are in the station, pathing would no longer be such a
problem!

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Clive D. W. Feather March 28th 06 07:42 AM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In article , Aidan Stanger
writes
Do you think it would still be there in 6 years time?

Would the people who would otherwise steal it know whether it was
switched off?

They tend to find out.

With any luck, the changeover could then be done just by setting some
jumpers in a cable cabinet somewhere, rather than having to get the
permanent way gang out again.

I would hope it would be deliberately made a lot harder than that. Do
you really want an accident waiting to happen?

That depends what "an accident waiting to happen" means. How much money
is it worth spending to avoid the combination of two very unlikely
events?

I'd want it to require two separate highly non-trivial actions in
different places (e.g. installing several metres of cable) to energise.
This shouldn't require spending extra money. And, in any case, you'd
need to get the gang out to check all was okay before energising - how
would you know a wire hasn't come lose and is touching another?

I know someone involved in the electrification work on CTRL2. He has to
worry about the fact that the Underground tube tunnels, the King's Cross
station structure, the St.Pancras station structure, and the NLL all
have different values for "earth". He reckons that if he gets things
wrong, opening a breaker at Ashford could cause a lethal change in earth
voltage at the KXSP complex.

Why would a change in earth voltage be lethal?

Because when one "earth" is 90V from another "earth", anyone bridging
the two is going to get a nasty shock.

25000 V AC and 5000 A in complex combinations is hard to get right.

If extending the wires is such a problem, why don't they just extend the
third rail instead?

Because it's even more expensive - you need substations every few km and
there are severe limits on power.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Peter Frimberly April 1st 06 08:20 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:01:44 +1030, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Tom Anderson writes
What might be sensible would be if preparatory work for the change was
done now - for instance, stringing catenary to Shepherd's Bush, but not
wiring it up to the mains.

Do you think it would still be there in 6 years time?

Would the people who would otherwise steal it know whether it was
switched off?

When I lived in Newcastle (admittedly 15 years ago) it was a fairly
standard occurence that the Metro line would be closed for a few days
on one of the sections around Longbenton, Wallsend, or Pelaw, because
someone had hooked a landrover to the signal cabling in the troughs or
the catenary and pulled massive lengths of it out/down in order to
steal it for scrap.

I don't live there any more so don't know if it still goes on.

Peter Frimberly April 1st 06 08:23 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:44:19 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Dave Arquati
writes

I should make clear that it's not a *huge* drop - about three metres I
guess. It's also at the top of the current embankment - so I wondered
if the railway had been shifted slightly eastwards too to allow it to
drop downwards. Of course, it could just be something entirely
uninteresting! It just looks a little platform-like.

There are some photos that might help at:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad/index.shtml

Wow. It's hard to imagine that area *without* the Shepherd's Bush
Roundabout, as those pics and map show. It having been there the whole
of the time I've lived in London (20 years) and being so big and
important, you kind of imagine it's always been there!

Richard J. April 1st 06 09:22 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Peter Frimberly wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:44:19 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Dave Arquati
writes

I should make clear that it's not a *huge* drop - about three
metres I guess. It's also at the top of the current embankment -
so I wondered if the railway had been shifted slightly eastwards
too to allow it to drop downwards. Of course, it could just be
something entirely uninteresting! It just looks a little
platform-like.

There are some photos that might help at:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad/index.shtml

Wow. It's hard to imagine that area *without* the Shepherd's Bush
Roundabout, as those pics and map show. It having been there the
whole of the time I've lived in London (20 years) and being so big
and important, you kind of imagine it's always been there!

I remember that roundabout being built in the early 70s. I don't see any
reason why the railway would have needed to be lowered or shifted east.
The whole area was cleared apart from the existing roads, and the
roundabout constructed from scratch, including two new bridges over the
railway either side of the Uxbridge Road. The roundabout is quite a bit
higher than the Uxbridge Road towards Shepherds Bush, and I particularly
remember the slope between the two being constructed, apparently by
laying huge thicknesses of tarmac on top of the existing road.

It's possible of course that the new bridges were built with enough
headroom for OHLE in the future. It was only a few years after the WCML
electrification, and I don't think the WLL had the DC third rail in
those days, so OHLE would have seemed the logical way forward.
--
Richard J.

Colin Rosenstiel April 2nd 06 04:50 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

It's possible of course that the new bridges were built with enough
headroom for OHLE in the future. It was only a few years after the
WCML electrification, and I don't think the WLL had the DC third rail
in those days, so OHLE would have seemed the logical way forward.

WLL electrification came many years later.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Stuart April 3rd 06 07:26 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Peter Frimberly wrote:

When I lived in Newcastle (admittedly 15 years ago) it was a fairly
standard occurence that the Metro line would be closed for a few days
on one of the sections around Longbenton, Wallsend, or Pelaw, because
someone had hooked a landrover to the signal cabling in the troughs or
the catenary and pulled massive lengths of it out/down in order to
steal it for scrap.

I don't live there any more so don't know if it still goes on.

Presumably not, in those days scrap metal was worth something!

Ian N April 8th 06 08:53 PM

Shepherd's Bush WLL station

wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:
In case anyone is interested, progress on this is now truly underway,
with work going on from the northbound carriageway of the West Cross
Route to clear the area below for the southbound platform, and what
looks like preparatory work to lower the embankment on the northbound side.

Is there any sign of extension to the OHLE? It has always been said
that the stop at Mitre Bridge Junction to change voltage eats paths.
Extending the OHLE to the new station and allowing the voltage change
to occur during station duties a la Farringdon would be sensible IMO.

The original thread about the new WLL line seems to have mostly
disappeared from my news service now, but I was passing the site today
and took a few pictures of how the excavations are going: see
http://www.ian-n.com/whitecity.

They're taken on my camera phone as that's all I had with me, but
they're not bad.

I also went round to the other side of the site, and grabbed a shot of
the new H&C line bridge, and peered over in to the Central Line tracks
and saw some new track work presumably something to do with the
revised depot layout.