London Banter

-   -   Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/401-proper-pronounciation-aldwych.html)

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 01:57 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

In article m,
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article
,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

ISTR it's not uncommon in Scotland though I can only think of place
name examples off the top of my head. Given the spelling and
pronunciation of my (German origin) surname, I have taken a slight
interest in this rule.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Row-zen-sh-teal, shirley?

Not in the UK. -steel here.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Redonda July 26th 03 04:49 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article m,
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article
,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

ISTR it's not uncommon in Scotland though I can only think of

place
name examples off the top of my head. Given the spelling and
pronunciation of my (German origin) surname, I have taken a

slight
interest in this rule.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Row-zen-sh-teal, shirley?

Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 06:07 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article m,
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article
,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

ISTR it's not uncommon in Scotland though I can only think of
place name examples off the top of my head. Given the spelling and
pronunciation of my (German origin) surname, I have taken a
slight interest in this rule.

Row-zen-sh-teal, shirley?

Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The North
Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the British.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Redonda July 26th 03 08:54 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

snip
Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The

North
Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the

British.

The Americans I met while living in Berlin (including the 3 I shared
an apartment with) always pronounced 'ie' as 'eye' for example they
called Riesling (wine) 'rye-sling'. Maybe it's regional (my American
friends were mostly from California) or proper names don't follow
general usage?

--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Martin Underwood July 26th 03 10:26 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

"Redonda" wrote in message
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

snip
Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The

North
Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the

British.

The Americans I met while living in Berlin (including the 3 I shared
an apartment with) always pronounced 'ie' as 'eye' for example they
called Riesling (wine) 'rye-sling'. Maybe it's regional (my American
friends were mostly from California) or proper names don't follow
general usage?

Americans have great problems with names such as Cecil ("SEE-sul" rather
than "SESS-ul") and Bernard ("ber-NARD" rather than "BERN-ud"). And then
you've got names like Zellweger which they pronounce as spelled rather than
"TSELL-vayg-air". But I'd have problems with many US names of American
Indian origin, so I suppose we're about honours even!

What's the correct pronunciation of Braun, as in the name of the
manufacturer of kitchen appliances - "Brawn" or "Brown" (the latter being
the German pronunciation).

Steve Moore July 26th 03 11:20 PM

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

What's the correct pronunciation of Braun, as in the name of the
manufacturer of kitchen appliances - "Brawn" or "Brown" (the latter

being
the German pronunciation).

Some years ago I read an interview with Dieter Rams (Braun design
genius) who said something along the lines of "It means brown and it's
pronounced brown"

Colin Rosenstiel July 27th 03 12:12 AM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Redonda) wrote:

snip
Not in the UK. -steel here.

And '-stile' in America.

Not so. My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live there. The
North Americans seem to have fewer problems with the name than the
British.

The Americans I met while living in Berlin (including the 3 I shared
an apartment with) always pronounced 'ie' as 'eye' for example they
called Riesling (wine) 'rye-sling'. Maybe it's regional (my American
friends were mostly from California) or proper names don't follow
general usage?

I can't be held responsible for ignorant North Americans.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Redonda July 27th 03 01:21 AM

Graham J wrote:
What's the correct pronunciation of Braun, as in the name of the
manufacturer of kitchen appliances - "Brawn" or "Brown" (the

latter
being the German pronunciation).

I think it rather depends on where you are. It 'should' be "Brown"
but internationally they themselves use the "Brawn" pronunciation

go with the flow. Other German brands like Adidas and Volkswagen

do
the same thing.

But 'Vee-Dub' sounds *much* better than 'Fow-Vay' (that's 'fow' as in
'how', not 'low') :-)

--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Lars July 27th 03 04:02 PM

Proper pronounciation of 'Aldwych'

Being new to this (AND from Germany) I must admit that you're absolutely
right: Vee-Dub sound a lot better than our Fow-Vay (wouldn't have known how
to write this so that everybody know how the Germans pronounce it until I
found it here)... :-)

Lars

Redonda July 27th 03 11:28 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Redonda" wrote in message
Lars wrote:
Being new to this (AND from Germany) I must admit that you're
absolutely right: Vee-Dub sound a lot better than our Fow-Vay
(wouldn't have known how to write this so that everybody know how
the Germans pronounce it until I found it here)... :-)

But "Käfer" sounds better than "Beetle" or "Bug" - I hate insects

:-(

What does the German word "Käfer" mean?

Beet..oh yuch!! :o)

--