London Banter

-   -   East Putney to Clapham Junction (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4109-east-putney-clapham-junction.html)

Paul Corfield May 31st 06 05:11 PM

East Putney to Clapham Junction

On Wed, 31 May 2006 13:47:49 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
And yes, it would be good to have a proper link to the tube at Clapham

More substantially, what level of demand is there for journeys from
Clapham to ELL destinations? I can't see a direct Clapham-Canada Water
service relieving pressure on the Jubilee Line at Waterloo and I'm not
sure if changing at Clapham gets one to Whitechapel faster than from
Victoria.

Like Mizter T said, it's not neccessarily a direct replacement for SWT
passengers to get to the East End, rather "a local line for local people" -

[snip]
Anyway, so let's say we're talking an average journey time of 8 minutes from
CJ to Victoria, call it 3 minutes down to the tube, and 20 minutes on the
tube - that's 31 minutes, so basically the ELL will have to manage CJ to
Surrey Quays (7 stops) in 24 minutes to make it an attractive option, which
I reckon is quite realistic.

There are some other factors which will be important in determining if
people swap to the ELLX. These are the provision of a direct service
meaning no interchange at the most crowded point on the network;
probably less crowding on the train itself; reliability and frequency.

If the service is run in such a way that it's frequent, runs to time
without disruption and is on the whole less crowded than the
alternatives then people will swap lines. These effects are all part of
the TfL business case model and should be considered as part of any
project evaluation. Congestion relief on the parts of the network will
also help.

These sorts of effects have been seen on the North London Line but that
is at the point where a serious capacity enhancement is required. Let's
hope that TfL and Network Rail won't skimp on providing long platforms
and properly designed signalling to allow for longer trains to be
provided on the ELLX with relative ease. I appreciate there are platform
length problems on the original ELL but selective door operation may
help there.

So it's not only good for the residents of Peckham/Camberwell etc, but a
handy alternative (and possibly cheaper) route to East London from the South
West. In short, it's increasing the capacity of the network and providing a
decent alternative route to a busy line, which could be a handy thing.

Yep it's a good idea - now can we just get on and get the whole thing
built as fast as possible with Phase 2 construction starting before
Phase 1 is complete.
--
Paul C

Guy May 31st 06 06:57 PM

East Putney to Clapham Junction

More substantially, what level of demand is there for journeys from
Clapham
to ELL destinations? I can't see a direct Clapham-Canada Water service
relieving pressure on the Jubilee Line at Waterloo and I'm not sure if
changing at Clapham gets one to Whitechapel faster than from Victoria.

But even a direct train service from Clapham Junction to Denmark Hill or
Peckham Rye would be helpful compared with the current long bus ride, which
I've done a couple of times in the past week, trying to get to King's
College Hospital from near Wandsworth Common.

Guy