Old May 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is it only me ....

.... that finds the deployment of *20* Met Police / Community Support
Officers and a drug sniffer dog at Walthamstow Central Tube Station to
"check" passengers something of a waste of resource?

No ticket checks being done just everyone being shoved past the dog's
nose and generally standing around blocking the area behind the ticket
gates.

I've no problem with a small police presence to support a proper revenue
control check but we get these police overload checks far more
frequently than a ticket check. Do criminals now solely travel by tube
train?

posting in a personal capacity, not a work one
--
Paul C

Old May 10th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

No ticket checks being done just everyone being shoved past the dog's
nose and generally standing around blocking the area behind the ticket
gates.

Maybe it's not fare-dodgers they're looking for. Maybe the dog's of the
sniffer variety...

Ian

Old May 10th 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No ticket checks being done just everyone being shoved past the dog's
nose and generally standing around blocking the area behind the ticket
gates.

Maybe it's not fare-dodgers they're looking for. Maybe the dog's of the
sniffer variety...

You think the

drug sniffer dog

might be a sniffer dog? Looking, perhaps, for drugs?
Old May 10th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
Maybe it's not fare-dodgers they're looking for. Maybe the dog's of the
sniffer variety...

I think the "...and a drug sniffer dog at Walthamstow Central Tube
Station" bit confirms that. I think the point was that the police will
go way over the top for a security check, but take little interest in
going for the fare evaders.

First seem to be a lot more proactive on GN at the moment, with police
supporting them in large numbers. With the vans parked outside Hatfield
taking people away, it seems they do manage to do a little more than
simply issue penalty fares.

Jonathan

Old May 10th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
... that finds the deployment of *20* Met Police / Community Support
Officers and a drug sniffer dog at Walthamstow Central Tube Station to
"check" passengers something of a waste of resource?

I've been tempted to write the same thing on here several times.

If they hung around after rush hour so they might actually be there at
the same time as ticket touts and drug dealers, I wouldn't mind, but
then I suppose catching a commuter with half a joint in their pocket is
a lot less hassle for them.

No ticket checks being done just everyone being shoved past the dog's
nose and generally standing around blocking the area behind the ticket
gates.

And the ticket checks are right before the barriers anyway, so unless
they're after catching people with fewer zones than they should have on
their ticket, I'm not sure what the point is (especially since the
operation seems to be aimed at drugs and knives more than fare evasion).

I've no problem with a small police presence to support a proper revenue

Agreed.

control check but we get these police overload checks far more
frequently than a ticket check. Do criminals now solely travel by tube
train?

If I were selling copious amounts of drugs, I think I'd get myself a
car, or at least avoid the rush hour tube!

I'm just not quite sure WHO they're after. I'd be a lot less sceptical
if I ever saw them do it at 9pm on a Friday.

Old May 10th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
... that finds the deployment of *20* Met Police / Community Support
Officers and a drug sniffer dog

Incidentally, it was TWO dogs AND a walk-through metal detector the time
before last.
Old May 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

No ticket checks being done just everyone being shoved past the dog's
nose and generally standing around blocking the area behind the ticket
gates.

Maybe it's not fare-dodgers they're looking for. Maybe the dog's of the
sniffer variety...

Indeed they are. As I walked past one bloke shaking his head, the
doghandler was saying something like "Well, according to the dog, you
must have recently been in contact with someone who HAS." Extrapolate
the rest yourself!
Old May 10th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

You think the

drug sniffer dog

might be a sniffer dog? Looking, perhaps, for drugs?

Urgh - sorry. I'm a ****. Missed that part of the post completely. Put it
down to old age.

Ian

Old May 10th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

You think the

drug sniffer dog

might be a sniffer dog? Looking, perhaps, for drugs?

Urgh - sorry. I'm a ****. Missed that part of the post completely. Put
it down to old age.

And too many "herbal rollies"...?
grin
Old May 10th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 May 2006 19:33:28 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
... that finds the deployment of *20* Met Police / Community Support
Officers and a drug sniffer dog

Incidentally, it was TWO dogs AND a walk-through metal detector the time
before last.

Indeed - and that blocked up the main ticket hall at a time when one of
the exits was shut while One finished off the new lovely canopy (!).
That did a great deal for congestion management and general safety
within the station.

I'm obviously so much of an old git these days that the dogs are never
put near me and no one inspects my ticket.
--
Paul C

Southern 90% ticket sale (Advance tix only) on Thur 26 May, for one day only. Mizter T London Transport 11 June 26th 11 06:35 AM
free free 100 dollors free 4days only FRee REGISTER ONLy fffghgfghghhhj London Transport 0 June 23rd 08 04:29 AM
photocard for weekly travelcards for only zones 1 and/or 2 required again Pritesh London Transport 7 November 28th 03 12:44 PM
Exact Fare Only CJG London Transport 34 September 4th 03 09:37 AM
Exact Fare Only Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 7 August 27th 03 07:34 PM