London Banter

-   -   Some better, some worse - Amsterdam (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4154-some-better-some-worse-amsterdam.html)

Cheeky May 23rd 06 08:30 PM

Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:29:58 +0100, "Paul Ebbens"
wrote:

At least they don't have penalty fares going to non-addresses or
non-identities... I wonder how much this is in the UK this happens?

When they do a sweep of Metrolink in Manchester the inspectors all
have PDAs to corroborate names and addresses using, I think, the
electoral roll.

Rian van der Borgt May 23rd 06 08:46 PM

Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:09:23 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:
(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:
On 23 May 2006 11:47:55 -0700, wrote:
I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and levels
of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange rate.

...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

It's really the EU. You may want to check EU documentation, e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/03/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Regards,

Rian

--
Rian van der Borgt, Leuven, Belgium.
e-mail: www:

Roland Perry May 23rd 06 09:11 PM

Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

In message , at 21:07:48 on Tue,
23 May 2006, Graeme Wall remarked:
I noticed a sign the other day which strongly implied that the newsagent
that was renting space within the station building (in an Amsterdam
suburb) also sold tickets.

That happens at RAI station but the newsagents is only open in the morning
peak period.

The newsagent at the station I saw was still open at 6pm.

Graeme Wall May 23rd 06 09:14 PM

Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:
On 23 May 2006 11:47:55 -0700, wrote:
I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and
levels of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange
rate.

...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

It's really the EU. You may want to check EU documentation, e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/03/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Providing the two accounts concerned are both Euro accounts, so effectively
in the Eurozone. It is not easy to get a Euro account in a British High
Street bank.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Graeme Wall May 23rd 06 09:34 PM

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 21:07:48 on Tue,
23 May 2006, Graeme Wall remarked:
I noticed a sign the other day which strongly implied that the newsagent
that was renting space within the station building (in an Amsterdam
suburb) also sold tickets.

That happens at RAI station but the newsagents is only open in the morning
peak period.

The newsagent at the station I saw was still open at 6pm.

Unless there are exhibitions on there doesn't appear to be a lot of off-peak
traffic at RAI, the station you saw was presumably in a more populus area.

Rian van der Borgt May 23rd 06 09:45 PM

(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:
...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

It's really the EU. You may want to check EU documentation, e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/03/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Providing the two accounts concerned are both Euro accounts, so effectively
in the Eurozone. It is not easy to get a Euro account in a British High
Street bank.

No, the transfer must be in euros. See also:
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/payments/docs/reg-2001-2560/reg-2001-2560-article3_en.pdf

Regards,

Rian

Paul Ebbens May 23rd 06 09:54 PM

Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
In message
(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:

On 23 May 2006 11:47:55 -0700, wrote:
I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and levels
of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange rate.

...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

How does the bank justify these costs?

We are not in the Eurozone.

[snip]

I think you'll find it applies to all EU member states on this particular
matter -- hence why IBAN/BIC codes are "slowly" being introduced onto all
statements (I had never ever seen them before LloydsTSB put them on the
statements... not a single word from them to explain to anyone what they're
for) but even having these codes.. it only allows Inward transactions you
still have to run about trying to get a natural transfer of money, why isn't
it the same as a "foreign" exchange in cash? Ah well if they want to loose
customers they're doing the right things. Who does Euro accounts in UK, cos
then I'll be saved...

Paul Ebbens May 23rd 06 10:03 PM

(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:
...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

It's really the EU. You may want to check EU documentation, e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/03/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Providing the two accounts concerned are both Euro accounts, so
effectively
in the Eurozone. It is not easy to get a Euro account in a British High
Street bank.

No, the transfer must be in euros. See also:
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/payments/docs/reg-2001-2560/reg-2001-2560-article3_en.pdf

This probably helps to explain it...

If a Belgian firm sends a transfer in euros to a UK firm with a euro
account, the Regulation is applicable. The payment originator will pay the
same charges as for a domestic transfer. If the UK firm makes euro payments
to the euro area, the charges to the issuer will be the same as for a euro
transfer within the United Kingdom, and costs to the recipient, if any, will
be the same as for a domestic transfer.

Not entirely sure what the rule is on UK debit/credit cards being used in
Europe and being charged £1-3 or so for a simple ATM or purchase... is this
allowed on this theory too?

Paul

Paul Ebbens May 23rd 06 10:04 PM

wrote:

At least they don't have penalty fares going to non-addresses or
non-identities... I wonder how much this is in the UK this happens?

When they do a sweep of Metrolink in Manchester the inspectors all
have PDAs to corroborate names and addresses using, I think, the
electoral roll.

That must have an interesting Data Protection Act headache on it...

Paul Ebbens May 23rd 06 10:06 PM

wrote:

At least they don't have penalty fares going to non-addresses or
non-identities... I wonder how much this is in the UK this happens?

When they do a sweep of Metrolink in Manchester the inspectors all
have PDAs to corroborate names and addresses using, I think, the
electoral roll.

And thinking about it... I got removed off the Roll because I "don't live
here anymore" (after 23 years and still going) all because a new housing
development on the same road used the same numbers as our houses... so I
doubt the system can cope with my road in any circumstance... Local council
was prepared to give free council tax for 6 months just cos I wasn't here...
Kind, but I'm not daft, I'd get a see you in court..