London Banter

-   -   Shoreditch RIP (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4202-shoreditch-rip.html)

Chris Read June 6th 06 09:27 PM

Shoreditch RIP

Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will close
permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

IIRC, this will be the first station closure on the Underground since
Aldwych, North Weald and Ongar closed (on the same day) in 1994. However,
there has been a subsequent line closure - Green Park to Charing Cross when
the Jubilee Line Extension opened.

The closure also brings to an end the most unusual service pattern on the
Underground: M-F peaks and Sunday until mid-afternoon only.

Chris

Nick Pedley June 6th 06 10:41 PM

Shoreditch RIP

"Chris Read" wrote in message

Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close
permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

Thankyou for the reminder. I must try hard to get there early Friday morning
and 'do' the ELL in full for the first, and in this way, last time.
I have a personal interest in this station as it is located on Pedley
Street....

Nick Pedley

[email protected] June 6th 06 11:08 PM

Shoreditch RIP

I am also very grateful for the reminder. I will pay my provisional last
respects to-morrow, as I may not be able to make Friday night. If I
possibly can, I'll be there at the death.

Adrian

Tristán White June 7th 06 12:24 AM

Shoreditch RIP

"Chris Read" wrote in
:

Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

IIRC, this will be the first station closure on the Underground since
Aldwych, North Weald and Ongar closed (on the same day) in 1994.
However, there has been a subsequent line closure - Green Park to
Charing Cross when the Jubilee Line Extension opened.

The closure also brings to an end the most unusual service pattern on
the Underground: M-F peaks and Sunday until mid-afternoon only.

Thanks for the reminder. And a rap on the knuckles of the people who
designed the latest map.... it says that the station would close on
Saturday 10 June whereas technically it's late on Friday 9 June.

As a Brick Lane fan, this station will be sorely missed. I was there just
last night, when I went to the Vibe Bar on Brick Lane to have a few jars -
that turned out to be quite a lot of jars in the end.

I hope they've made the right decision. Personally, I'm not convinced.

Mark Morton June 7th 06 05:38 AM

Shoreditch RIP

Tristán White wrote:
I hope they've made the right decision. Personally, I'm not convinced.

Why do you think that?

Mark Brader June 7th 06 06:30 AM

Shoreditch RIP

Chris Read:
Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

Tristán White:
Thanks for the reminder. And a rap on the knuckles of the people who
designed the latest map.... it says that the station would close on
Saturday 10 June whereas technically it's late on Friday 9 June.

I suggest that this is not an error as such, but the standard problem
of whether to report a closure date as "last day of service" or "first
day of no service". What's the actual wording on the map?
--
Mark Brader "All this government stuff, in other words,
Toronto is not reading matter, but prefabricated

Kev June 7th 06 08:27 AM

Shoreditch RIP

wrote:
I am also very grateful for the reminder. I will pay my provisional last
respects to-morrow, as I may not be able to make Friday night. If I
possibly can, I'll be there at the death.

Adrian

I went there yesterday morning but the light was from the wrong angle
so the phots weren't too good so I will go back this afternoon and hope
that the light from a different angle will be better.
Bearing in mind that that I got on a train at Canada Water at 9am the
train was probabley no more than 10-15% full at any point, I hope that
the billions of taxpayer money being spent on this line is being well
spent.
Considering that the ELL will go from nowhere to nowhere it seems alot
of money to spend.

Kevin

Nick Pedley June 7th 06 09:01 AM

Shoreditch RIP

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Chris Read:
Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

Tristán White:
Thanks for the reminder. And a rap on the knuckles of the people who
designed the latest map.... it says that the station would close on
Saturday 10 June whereas technically it's late on Friday 9 June.

I suggest that this is not an error as such, but the standard problem
of whether to report a closure date as "last day of service" or "first
day of no service". What's the actual wording on the map?

The Tube/TfL website states that "Shoreditch station will close permanently
after the end of service on Friday 9 June".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/travelinf...me/planned.asp

Online Tube map says "Station closes permanently in June 2006". I assume
this is a smaller version of the wall map seen at stations.

The TfL Tube closures email I had yesterday states "Shoreditch station to
permanently close from Saturday 10 June 2006. For further details click
here."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/unlinked/tube-...10-June-06.pdf
That statement is repeated on the map in the link. This is part of a leaflet
which starts with "From Saturday 10 June Shoreditch station permanently
closed".

Nick

[email protected] June 7th 06 09:42 AM

Shoreditch RIP

Last train ex-Shoreditch is 20:33. I believe the following "staff"
train will carry invited big-wigs so the "genuine" passenger will be
unable to travel on the actual "last" departure. Or does the last
"public" working count as the official "last" anyway?

Nick Pedley June 7th 06 09:51 AM

Shoreditch RIP

"Chris Read" wrote in message

Just a quick reminder that Shoreditch station (East London Line) will
close
permanently this Friday. Last train appears to depart at 20:34

Out of interest, did they ever consider running the ELL services into
Liverpool Street for all the mainline connections and the direct link to the
City for all the workers?
Or was there too much mainline traffic to allow this?

Nick