London Banter

-   -   "Continuing your journey" maps (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4230-continuing-your-journey-maps.html)

John Rowland June 19th 06 11:05 AM

"Continuing your journey" maps

Does anyone know if the above maps can be found online? I mean the very
detailed street maps rather than the bus stop maps.

Dave Arquati June 19th 06 11:34 AM

John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if the above maps can be found online? I mean the very
detailed street maps rather than the bus stop maps.

Some seem to be accessible from the Interactive Map at:
http://www.journeyplanner.org/im/SI-T.html

Click on certain stations and you'll get a Local Area Map option. They
have a simplified bus stop map on the first page and a detailed walking
map on the second. For example:
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/Dow...ngton_spdr.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

[email protected] June 19th 06 05:00 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
Does anyone know if the above maps can be found online? I mean the very
detailed street maps rather than the bus stop maps.

Some seem to be accessible from the Interactive Map at:
http://www.journeyplanner.org/im/SI-T.html

Click on certain stations and you'll get a Local Area Map option. They
have a simplified bus stop map on the first page and a detailed walking
map on the second. For example:
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/Dow...ngton_spdr.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Thanks for that link - all very useful.

Although, on the Chancery Lane map alone, there are so many mistakes as
to be quite amusing!

Lincoln's Inn Garden is curiously called "Newman's Row Park and Garden"
- I have had my chambers there for almost 20 years and never heard it
called that before!

Also, Atkin Building in Gray's Inn has acquired the curious name
"Atlins Building".

At its Southern end, Bell Yard seems to have acquired a pedestrian path
Eastwards into Chancery Lane which does not exist in real life.

Star Yard is shown as a road leading into Bishop's Court, whereas the
latter is a footpath, without any vehicular access.

The Eastern pedestrian access from Lincoln's Inn New Square to Carey
Street is shown but not the Western access path, nor is the footpath
from Chancery Lane into Stone Buildings shown.

One of the most important public buildings in the area, the Principal
Registry of the High Court (Family Division) at corner of Brownlow
Street and High Holborn is not shown at all. Nor is the High Court
(Technology Court) in Fetter Lane.

The main vehicular access from Holborn into Gray's Inn is shown as a
footpath.

The taxi rank in High Holborn is shown, but not the one at the gateway
to Lincoln's Inn.

At the very foot, near Prince Henry's Room, what is a pedestrian
gateway only into Inner Temple is shown as a road.

Most curiously, Holborn seems to have acquired a new road into
Whetstone Place called Holborn Place! There is no vehicular access
South of High Holborn of any description between Chancery Lane and
Kingsway!

Nice try, though.

Marc.

John Rowland June 19th 06 07:58 PM

wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Does anyone know if the above maps can be found online? I mean the
very detailed street maps rather than the bus stop maps.

Some seem to be accessible from the Interactive Map at:
http://www.journeyplanner.org/im/SI-T.html

A huge thanks, Dave! I didn't get your message itself, so thanks also to
Marc for quoting it.

Thanks for that link - all very useful.

Although, on the Chancery Lane map alone, there are so many mistakes
as to be quite amusing!

If you want a real laugh, ask the TfL Journey Planner for a walking route
from the middle of Brownlow Street to the middle of Plumtree Court. I told
them months ago, but they never seem to fix anything.

The main vehicular access from Holborn into Gray's Inn is shown as a
footpath.

obligatory nitpick of nitpicker
Anyone who has worked there for twenty years should know the boundary
between Holborn and High Holborn is Grays Inn Road! ;-)

The taxi rank in High Holborn is shown, but not the one at the gateway
to Lincoln's Inn.

On the TfL multimodal map, ranks are only shown if there is a decent chance
of finding a cab there most of the time..... does that apply here?

Most curiously, Holborn seems to have acquired a new road into
Whetstone Place called Holborn Place! There is no vehicular access
South of High Holborn of any description between Chancery Lane and
Kingsway!

Holborn Place is the drive of the Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel, and it
does lead from High Holborn to Whetstone Park, but is probably a private
road. Then again, many of the roads shown in this area, such as Grays Inn
Square, are probably private also, so it is reasonable that they would show
it, especially since this is basically a walking map, and I think anyone can
walk through Holborn Place.

Thanks again!

[email protected] June 19th 06 11:31 PM

John Rowland wrote:
wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

[...]

Nice one, John, but:

even more obligatory nitpick of nitpicker's nitpicker

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

The taxi rank in High Holborn is shown, but not the one at the gateway
to Lincoln's Inn.

On the TfL multimodal map, ranks are only shown if there is a decent chance
of finding a cab there most of the time..... does that apply here?

Oh yes, at ALL times except when I actually need a cab!

Most curiously, Holborn seems to have acquired a new road into
Whetstone Place called Holborn Place! There is no vehicular access
South of High Holborn of any description between Chancery Lane and
Kingsway!

Holborn Place is the drive of the Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel, and it
does lead from High Holborn to Whetstone Park, but is probably a private
road. Then again, many of the roads shown in this area, such as Grays Inn
Square, are probably private also, so it is reasonable that they would show
it, especially since this is basically a walking map, and I think anyone can
walk through Holborn Place.

Well, one lives and learns. I have seen what I took just to be a
service entrance to what was the old Pearl Assurance (?) builiding, now
the hotel you mentioned, but have never been through it, and had no
idea that one could access Whetstone Park through it but, as you say,
it is most likely pedestrian access only.

Thanks again!

(I will one day die a lingering death of pedantry.....)

Marc.

John Rowland June 20th 06 12:45 AM

wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

obligatory nitpick of nitpicker
Anyone who has worked there for twenty years should know the boundary
between Holborn and High Holborn is Grays Inn Road! ;-)

Nice one, John, but:

even more obligatory nitpick of nitpicker's nitpicker

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

Yes.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961078_en_1.htm
He kind of owns the thing, I think, so if he says there's no apostrophe,
he's right.

Holborn Place is the drive of the Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel,
and it does lead from High Holborn to Whetstone Park, but is
probably a private road. Then again, many of the roads shown in this
area, such as Grays Inn Square, are probably private also, so it is
reasonable that they would show it, especially since this is
basically a walking map, and I think anyone can walk through Holborn
Place.

Well, one lives and learns. I have seen what I took just to be a
service entrance to what was the old Pearl Assurance (?) builiding,
now the hotel you mentioned, but have never been through it, and had
no idea that one could access Whetstone Park through it but, as you
say, it is most likely pedestrian access only.

I said no such thing.... ISTR I've been through it in my car, but
commissionaire bod wasn't too impressed. Taxis serving the hotel drive in
from High Holborn, and they must exit into Whetstone Park, I think, BICBW.

Colum Mylod June 20th 06 06:28 PM

"Continuing your journey" maps

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:45:45 +0100, "John Rowland"

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

Yes.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961078_en_1.htm
He kind of owns the thing, I think, so if he says there's no apostrophe,
he's right.

Camden can't manage apostrophe consistency with GIR: signs north of
Clerkenwell Road are without, south are with. Investigation of this
phenomen involved a few pubs near the apostrophe boundary.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com

[email protected] June 21st 06 01:53 AM

Colum Mylod wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:45:45 +0100, "John Rowland"

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

Yes.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961078_en_1.htm
He kind of owns the thing, I think, so if he says there's no apostrophe,
he's right.

Not quite sure what the foregoing means.

But, since Gray's (from Gray's Inn, which name originates from Sir
Reginald de Grey, Chief Justice of Chester, Constable and Sheriff of
Nottingham, who died in 1308) is a possessive noun, there can be no
doubt that an apostrophe is necessary, whether or not the illiterate
buffoons creating secondary legislation include it or not.

Marc.

John Rowland June 21st 06 12:38 PM

Colum Mylod wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:45:45 +0100, "John Rowland"

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

Yes.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961078_en_1.htm
He kind of owns the thing, I think, so if he says there's no
apostrophe, he's right.

Camden can't manage apostrophe consistency with GIR: signs north of
Clerkenwell Road are without, south are with.

Are you sure the apostrophe boundary isn't at Roger St/Elm St, where the
borough boundary lay until the 1960s? I'm thinking of the way Wagon Road
becomes Waggon Road when it passes from Hertfordshire to London...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr... 50&ay=198750

John Rowland June 21st 06 12:51 PM

wrote:
Colum Mylod wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:45:45 +0100, "John Rowland"

Grays [sic] Inn Road??

Yes.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961078_en_1.htm
He kind of owns the thing, I think, so if he says there's no
apostrophe, he's right.

Not quite sure what the foregoing means.

But, since Gray's (from Gray's Inn, which name originates from Sir
Reginald de Grey, Chief Justice of Chester, Constable and Sheriff of
Nottingham, who died in 1308) is a possessive noun, there can be no
doubt that an apostrophe is necessary, whether or not the illiterate
buffoons creating secondary legislation include it or not.

So why isn't an 'e' in Gray also necessary? Your adherance to the theory
that we must stick to names with 13th century meaning seems very selective.
Road names change with time, otherwise half the streets in London would
still be called Queens Road or New Street.