Old June 26th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

"thoss" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 wrote:
the normal English grammar rules for
apostrophes are generally dropped on street name signs

Why?

In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make signs
and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St. John's"
becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes). At least where English is the
common language; I assume in languages where accents and such are used more
frequently, signmakers are more tolerant of them

I can't think of any roads near me with missing apostrophes, but there's a
Mañana Road near me, and the city and post office both write it as "Manana
Rd" to keep things simple (though it's "Mañana Rd" on highway signs).

Old June 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
"thoss" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 wrote:
the normal English grammar rules for
apostrophes are generally dropped on street name signs

Why?

In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make signs
and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St. John's"
becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes). At least where English is the
common language; I assume in languages where accents and such are used more
frequently, signmakers are more tolerant of them

I can't think of any roads near me with missing apostrophes, but there's a
Mañana Road near me, and the city and post office both write it as "Manana
Rd" to keep things simple (though it's "Mañana Rd" on highway signs).

There is a road through Beverly Hills, its name is spelt variously
"Cañon Drive" and "Canon Drive".

Adrian.

Old June 27th 06, 09:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 Stephen Sprunk wrote:

In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make
signs and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St.
John's" becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes).

Well, the first change is welcome because your original is wrong IMHO.
To quote the Concise Oxford Dictionary "Abbreviations are made chiefly
in two ways....(2)Some portion of the middle of the word is dropped out,
the first and last letter being retained...the writing of a full stop at
the end of these, though now usual, is to be deprecated....The method
adopted in the following list is to omit the otiose full stop".
--
Thoss
Old June 27th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article "Stephen Sprunk" writes:
In general, all punctuation and diacritical marks are dropped to make signs
and addresses as easy to read/write as possible. Therefore "St. John's"
becomes "St Johns" (notice the two changes).

As far as I know in British English there is no full stop following an
abbreviation if the last letter of the abbreviation is also the last
letter of the complete word. (This is different in US English.)
Old June 27th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at
08:21:09 on Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Ned Carlson
remarked:
However, the official royal website calls the palace, St. James's
Palace.

And all the old maps I have ever found (going back centuries) also use
that spelling (for the palace and nearby roads, churches etc).
Old June 27th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
08:21:09 on Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Ned Carlson
remarked:
However, the official royal website calls the palace, St. James's
Palace.

And all the old maps I have ever found (going back centuries) also use
that spelling (for the palace and nearby roads, churches etc).

So the question is: Do cartographers follow street signposting
conventions, or, do they "correct" the spelling of street names
back into their normal English form?

Moreover, has cartographic practice, in this respect, changed over
time?

Adrian.

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 10:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 11:27 AM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 07:57 AM