Old July 1st 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:46:01 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

"Phil Clark" wrote:
Modern Dutch uses apostrophes in the plural of certain (or all?) nouns
ending in a long single vowel, such as "2 taxi's" or "3 piano's".

So does English...

No it doesn't.

I should have used a smiley for irony but couldn't think of one...

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Old July 1st 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Phil Clark" wrote:
No it doesn't.

I should have used a smiley for irony but couldn't think of one...

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Arse. My irony recognition system obviously needs upgrading - I'm normally
the first to whinge about people not getting irony.

I often wonder that if aliens were to visit earth, what they'd go away
thinking was the correct way to use the English language.....

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old July 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 22:52:32 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

"Phil Clark" wrote:
No it doesn't.

I should have used a smiley for irony but couldn't think of one...

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Arse. My irony recognition system obviously needs upgrading - I'm normally
the first to whinge about people not getting irony.

I often wonder that if aliens were to visit earth, what they'd go away
thinking was the correct way to use the English language.....

I thought all aliens spoke 'Merkan ?
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Old July 2nd 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

"Phil Clark" wrote:
Modern Dutch uses apostrophes in the plural of certain (or all?) nouns
ending in a long single vowel, such as "2 taxi's" or "3 piano's".

So does English...

No it doesn't.

I should have used a smiley for irony but couldn't think of one...

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Three.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632972.html
(43 136 at Cardiff Central, 30 Jun 1999)

Old July 2nd 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

"Phil Clark" wrote:
Modern Dutch uses apostrophes in the plural of certain (or all?) nouns
ending in a long single vowel, such as "2 taxi's" or "3 piano's".

So does English...

No it doesn't.

I should have used a smiley for irony but couldn't think of one...

I use this one

Fe]

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Is panini already a plural word ?

Richard [in PE12]

Old July 2nd 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 09:54:57 +0100, "Richard M Willis"
wrote:

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Is panini already a plural word ?

Yes, the singular is panino. And if it wasn't already plural it
wouldn't need the apostrophe. Not sure what Chris Tolley's third
error is.
Old July 2nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Is panini already a plural word ?

Yes, the singular is panino. And if it wasn't already plural it
wouldn't need the apostrophe. Not sure what Chris Tolley's third
error is.

You didn't the word in quotation marks. ;-)

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14486548.html
(FY SW1001 44 (no TOPS class) at Merehead, 26 Jun 1994)
Old July 2nd 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.
Is panini already a plural word ?

Yes, the singular is panino. And if it wasn't already plural it
wouldn't need the apostrophe. Not sure what Chris Tolley's third
error is.

You didn't the word in quotation marks. ;-)

The Hound of the Pedantvilles strikes again. ... didn't *put* the ...

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683757.html
(142 095 at Harrogate, 29 May 1999)
Old July 3rd 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

My current pet hate is panini's, which is wrong on two counts.

Is panini already a plural word ?

Yes, the singular is panino. And if it wasn't already plural it
wouldn't need the apostrophe.

I tend to disagree. What is plural in one language can very well become
singular in another language. Whether it was plural in the original
lanuage does not matter very much.

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 04:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 11:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 12:27 PM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 05:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 08:57 AM