London Banter

-   -   Finchley Central gates (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4244-finchley-central-gates.html)

Alan OBrien June 24th 06 07:56 AM

Finchley Central gates

Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Alan

--
Work like the ponies in coalmines.
Dance like the teardrop explodes.

Steve June 24th 06 04:01 PM

Finchley Central gates

Alan OBrien wrote:
Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Something to do with the bridge being too light.

The other gates were installed years before oyster and never used - love
to know at what cost.

Also, the ticket inspectors stop people on the stairs rather than
station road - blocking all including those that intend to use the gates.

Alan

Mike Bristow June 24th 06 04:46 PM

Finchley Central gates

In article ,
steve wrote:
Alan OBrien wrote:
Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Something to do with the bridge being too light.

I think the intention was to put them on the bit between the end
of the bridge and the pavement, but that they discovered an unexpected
gas main when they started the work.

Also, the ticket inspectors stop people on the stairs rather than
station road - blocking all including those that intend to use the gates.

Last few times I've seen inspectors, they've been lurking by the
touch-in/out pads, and only stopped people who didn't touch in or
out.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.

Steve June 24th 06 07:58 PM

Finchley Central gates

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
steve wrote:
Alan OBrien wrote:
Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Something to do with the bridge being too light.

I think the intention was to put them on the bit between the end
of the bridge and the pavement, but that they discovered an unexpected
gas main when they started the work.

Also, the ticket inspectors stop people on the stairs rather than
station road - blocking all including those that intend to use the gates.

Last few times I've seen inspectors, they've been lurking by the
touch-in/out pads, and only stopped people who didn't touch in or
out.

Last time I was there they were blocking the southbound stairs and the
gates were closed.

Simon Hewison June 29th 06 08:47 PM

Finchley Central gates

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
steve wrote:
Alan OBrien wrote:
Why are there no automatic ticket gates on the Station Road side of Finchley
Central Underground Station?

Something to do with the bridge being too light.

I think the intention was to put them on the bit between the end
of the bridge and the pavement, but that they discovered an unexpected
gas main when they started the work.

A recent addition to Finchley Central is a sign above the Station Road
entrance saying "Ticket holders only", because they do activate the
gates on the main entrance, and I think they're fed up with people
entering via Station Road, crossing the bridge and then asking to get
out of the gates in order to buy a ticket to then go back through the gates.

--
Simon Hewison