London Banter

-   -   Driving into London from Dorking (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4306-driving-into-london-dorking.html)

asdf July 10th 06 12:30 AM

Driving into London from Dorking

On 9 Jul 2006 17:00:11 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

I didn't know GroupSave applied to Travelcards (I hardly even have the
need to buy a Travelcard outside of London), this is a new thing right?
It's a pretty good deal.

Of course it would become less of a bargain if any other train
companies decide to follow First Capital Connect's evening rush-hour
restrictions on off-peak tickets.

Indeed - all the more so as there's no GroupSave on SDRs, even after
10am.

Bob Wood July 10th 06 01:12 AM

Driving into London from Dorking

vicki.dietz wrote:

Traveling together is exactly what we had planned. You've all been
very helpful. I owe everyone a pub lunch!

I would have given the same answers if I had been here. Where do we
meet for this lunch?

--
Bob

John B July 10th 06 09:33 AM

Driving into London from Dorking

vicki.dietz wrote:
Wow! Four people traveling to and from London from Dorking, unlimited use
of the Tube, all for 23 pounds, that's incredible. I can only hope they
don't stop their GroupSave offer before August!

Thanks everyone for the valuable info...you've saved me quite a headache!

Indeed. It's a shame the TOCs don't publicise GroupSave better: it
frequently makes the difference between driving and getting the train
for an off-peak SE journey; and usually my friends - even the ones who
commute daily on public transport - are as surprised as the OP to hear
about its existence.

Maybe the TOCs have worked out that they raise more money by getting
group travellers to pay unnecessarily high fares than they would by
attracting new customers off the roads. Or maybe they're just inept.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Bob Wood July 10th 06 10:06 AM

Driving into London from Dorking

Mizter T wrote:

Of note is that GroupSave is available on Central Trains but only
between Peterborough and Stansted Airport.

Not so! GroupSave is available in almost all of the Central Trains
area. The only journeys that do not qualify for GroupSave are those
which are wholly in the WM Centro area.

http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/_fami.../groupsave.htm

--
Bob

Mizter T July 10th 06 04:51 PM

Bob Wood wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Of note is that GroupSave is available on Central Trains but only
between Peterborough and Stansted Airport.

Not so! GroupSave is available in almost all of the Central Trains
area. The only journeys that do not qualify for GroupSave are those
which are wholly in the WM Centro area.

http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/_fami.../groupsave.htm

Ah! In that case neither the GroupSave map [1] nor the GroupSave page
on the 'Days Out Guide' website [2] makes this clear.

This thus begs the question - where else is GroupSave available that
doesn't appear on the map. It appears that it's available across First
Great Western [3], which the map doesn't make clear either

The 'one' railway website makes clear that GroupSave is only available
on some of their routes [4] which tallies with the GroupSave map. The
map suggests GroupSave isn't valid on the whole Silverlink County
route, but their website [5] doesn't make clear that services north of
Northampton appear to be exempt.

It's annoying that there isn't a comprehensive list in one place of the
routes on which GroupSave is available. But I guess that's the
fragmented railway for you - though that said BR were quite capable of
failing to provide comprehensive information as well.

[1] GroupSave info at 'Days Out Guide'
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/groupsave.aspx

[2] GroupSave map
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/docs/GroupSaveMap.pdf