London Banter

-   -   Commuting times (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4364-commuting-times.html)

Paul Corfield August 5th 06 08:33 AM

Commuting times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

I accept they are talking about average times but I struggle to see how
the average is so low. My commute time is about 40 mins in the morning
and 50 in the evening and is not particularly onerous compared to those
of my immediate work colleagues most of whom travel a considerable
distance by main line rail.

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

--
Paul C

Paul Weaver August 5th 06 09:14 AM

Commuting times

Paul Corfield wrote:
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

About 3.5 hours a day for me, nearly 800 hours a year.

Three guys in my office (of 6) spend longer than me, the longest spends
3 hours EACH WAY from Deal to West London, 1350 hours a year.

The shortest commute is 35 minutes each way, walking from chiswick.

This is based in London. 10 years ago, my parents spent 35 minutes each
way and 22 minutes each way, now It'd probably be longer now (the short
one included M62 J11 - M62 J13, the long one was via thelwell)

OTOH my sister has a sickening 3 minute commute, she's the only one I
know that has less than half an hour each way.

Steve M August 5th 06 09:16 AM

Commuting times

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Around 100 minutes a day for me: 50 each way Norbiton - St James's Park
and back, including a walk, 2 trains and one Tube.

Cheers

Steve M

Paul Corfield August 5th 06 09:26 AM

Commuting times

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 10:16:00 +0100, Steve M
wrote:

Around 100 minutes a day for me: 50 each way Norbiton - St James's Park
and back, including a walk, 2 trains and one Tube.

I'm surprised you don't go through to Vauxhall and get a 87 or 88 bus up
to Whitehall / Parliament Square (87) or Great Smith St / Marsham Street
(88). I'm guessing you change at Clapham Junction to Victoria and then
battle on to the District Line.

--
Paul C

Tom Anderson August 5th 06 09:51 AM

Commuting times

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Paul Corfield wrote:

What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

20 minutes each way by bike. About the same by tube, if i'm being lazy.

In a few weeks, i'm moving, and will have a slightly longer ride and a
slightly quicker tube trip.

One of the points in the article is that people with better qualifications
have longer commutes - basically, a nice way of saying that middle-class
people choose to live in the suburbs or the country and endure Odyssean
journeys to work, and working-class people live in the actual city, near
where they work. It's probably these people who are dragging the average
down. Why it's the more highly educated sector of society acts in such an
utterly boneheaded manner, i have no idea!

tom

--
One horse laugh is worth a thousand syllogisms. -- H. L. Mencken

Ian Snowdon August 5th 06 09:59 AM

Commuting times

In message , Paul Corfield
scribes

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Mine works out at 562.5 hours per year.
--
Snowy

Dr Ivan D. Reid August 5th 06 10:09 AM

Commuting times

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:33:19 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote in :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

10 minutes each way for me, on foot. It was much longer when I
commuted into UCL from New Barnet, especially when I had to wait ages for
a bus at Arnos Grove at night. (Commuting to my second office takes hours
and involves a 90-minute plane flight...)

It's not directly stated, but there's an implication that the
survey was of train passengers only.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Grebbsy McLaren August 5th 06 12:27 PM

Commuting times

It was a dark and stormy night when Paul Corfield
wrote in article ...
[...]

About 40 minutes each way for me these days, though up until earlier
this year it was 90-minutes-and-two-changes. I don't know how I put up
with that for so long.

Grebbsy
--
Grebbsy McLaren

Spyke August 5th 06 01:45 PM

Commuting times

Paul Corfield wrote:

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Between 2 or 3 hours a day (430 to 645 hours per year), depending
whether I tube or walk between Waterloo and my office.
The 2 hours is unachievable at the moment though, due to the closure of
the Drain.

SamB August 5th 06 02:33 PM

Commuting times

About two and a half hours for me (St Johns to London Bridge, London
Bridge to Kings Cross Thameslink and then 15 mins walk, and the same
home). Though there would be quicker ways that would cut it down to
unde two hours a day.