Old August 11th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Advice - overnight track works

Isaac Abraham wrote:
Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got any
experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/ sawing/
hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise pollution at
unsociable hours?

You might want to check with your council's Environmental Health
department but I suspect if the work is necessary then they will have
been able to get permission to do this.

--
Each day a man watched a donkey walk past a high wood fence with one
plank removed. First he saw the nose, then the ears, then the neck,

Old August 11th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham wrote:
wrote:

In certain cases they'll whinge like b****ry but apparantly lack
the wit to perceive the disturbance potential before making the
decision to live adjacent to the lines.

Fine - forget I even mentioned it. I just asked for advice on this,
maybe there was somewhere within LU I could ask about e.g. how often
they do track works etc. but seems that all I'm doing is getting
flamed for asking.

With respect you weren't just asking. Your original post included "LU
took it upon themselves to work on the tracks", "They started sometime
after 12am and finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering
sleep impossible etc.", "Does LU have any complaints procedure for such
cases?", "Isn't drilling/ sawing/hammering at such times breaking the
law ... ?"

It was reasonable in the circumstances for people to explain the facts
of life to you, namely, that if you choose to live next to a railway
line, you will occasionally get disturbed by night-time maintenance.

I would suggest you use the form at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/contacts/form.asp or write directly to
. Alternatively, you could contact
the infraco, Metronet Rail, via the form at
http://www.metronetrail.com/default....=1077549058968 .

--
Richard J.

Old August 12th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:03:04 +0100, Larry Lard
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
So the railway has /carte blanche/ to be as loud as it wants, whenever
it wants, and do whatever it wants, because it was there first?

Can you give a single reason why it shouldn't?

You buy a house next to a railway line, you got a price discount to
reflect the fact that it's going to be noisy.
Old August 12th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham wrote:
Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

If you bought a house next to a main A road or motorway would you
complain if they did overnight road closures and resurfacing?
If you don't like it you shouldn't have moved next to a railway line.
What did you expect?

B2003

Old August 13th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry Lard ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just
outisde Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after
12am and finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering
sleep impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got
any experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/
sawing/ hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise
pollution at unsociable hours?

Which would you rather have?

1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping
every time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

Now, if you've been living in that flat since before the railway
lines went in, I can understand why you'd be disgruntled. If, on the
other hand, the lines were there before you...

So the railway has /carte blanche/ to be as loud as it wants, whenever
it wants, and do whatever it wants, because it was there first?

Yes.

You have a problem with that?

If so, please pick one of the two alternatives.
Old August 14th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham wrote:
Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got any
experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/ sawing/
hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise pollution at
unsociable hours?

Any advice greatly appreciated

You bought the flat since the railway was there, and the original
owners were compensated fairly (at the time) for the reduction in house
value.

What's unsociable? When you are hammering away at 3PM and your
neighbour who works nights is trying to sleep, would that be unsociable?

Old August 15th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
Isaac Abraham wrote:
wrote:

In certain cases they'll whinge like b****ry but apparantly lack the
wit to perceive the disturbance potential before making the decision to
live adjacent to the lines.

Fine - forget I even mentioned it. I just asked for advice on this,
maybe there was somewhere within LU I could ask about e.g. how often
they do track works etc. but seems that all I'm doing is getting flamed
for asking.

You have to bear in mind that a lot of the people who post on rail
related site are f**king ignorant ****s. LUL certainly does have noise
abatement orders put on them, I should know, the last project that I
worked on had enough delay claims due to such orders.
Then of course there is noise and noise. They could go out and say what
the hell, I am going to make as much noise as I can and I don't give a
dam or we can actually find a quiter way of doing the job.
It wouldn't take much to make residents aware before hand that there is
likely to be a lot of noise then people could have the option of
perhaps sleeping in a back bedroom.
You have to bear in mind that generally speaking the railways don't
give a dam about anybody but themselves.

You have to bear in mind that "the railways" don't do maintenance
because they get a particular thrill out of annoying people. They do it
amongst other things to stop trains coming off the rails and killing
lots of people. Large scale maintenance doesn't happen more often than
it needs to or generally create noise at a level significantly greater
than can be helped.
You have to bear in mind that (in all probability) the original poster
was not forced at gunpoint to opt to reside adjacent to the railway
line. What you interpret as ignorance others have interpreted using
phrases such as spelling out the facts of life. On occasion I have
posted enquiries to a newsgroup which others have perceived as naive or
misplaced. I have found it quite helpful to gain this type of feedback
and often modified my original opinion having been better informed by
the response.
You have to bear in mind that you would have to be a really delicate
flower to actually take such responses personally but no doubt there
are some newsgroups where mutual appreciation societies and
inconclusive waffle are more readily available.
--
gordon