Old August 15th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster cards on buses

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?
Firstly, auto-top up doesn't work with buses, and secondly when I
tries to add funds online, it said I would have to activate the added
funds at a Tube or DLR station. Is this right? Can't you add funds online?

Help much appreciated

CC

Old August 15th 06, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:33:25 +0100, Courtney Cong wrote:

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?

You have to go to a Tube station or Oyster Ticket Stop to top it up.
Bus stops usually have a map showing the nearest locations.

In the meantime, you'll have to pay the £1.50 cash fare.
Old August 15th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?
Firstly, auto-top up doesn't work with buses, and secondly when I
tries to add funds online, it said I would have to activate the added
funds at a Tube or DLR station. Is this right? Can't you add funds online?

Help much appreciated

CC

Auto top-up does work on buses, from about a month ago. My card was
recently topped up on the 323 - must be the most that route has ever
taken on a single journey, I reckon.

Al Holmes
Old August 15th 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

wrote:

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?
Firstly, auto-top up doesn't work with buses, and secondly when I
tries to add funds online, it said I would have to activate the added
funds at a Tube or DLR station. Is this right? Can't you add funds online?

Help much appreciated

CC

I can find no reference, but I'm sure someone in this group mentioned
fairly recently that auto topup was to be introduced on buses.

Did I imagine it?
Old August 15th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?
Firstly, auto-top up doesn't work with buses, and secondly when I
tries to add funds online, it said I would have to activate the added
funds at a Tube or DLR station. Is this right? Can't you add funds online?

Help much appreciated

CC

Auto top-up does work on buses, from about a month ago.

I remember someone saying here that this was going to happen. Haven't
tried it myself - there are Oyster-enabled newsagents everywhere! You
can find them by area or postcode he
http://www.tfl-ticketlocator.co.uk/

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group

Old August 15th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

This is probably a silly oyster-noobie question, but I'm finding the tfl
online advice clear as mud.

Understandable. They can be a little inconsistent with their info to say
the least.

I only use oyster on the buses - so what happens when my funds run out?
Firstly, auto-top up doesn't work with buses, and secondly when I tries to
add funds online, it said I would have to activate the added funds at a
Tube or DLR station. Is this right? Can't you add funds online?

You have probably read
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...er/general.asp which
unfortunately is out of date. Auto top-up now works on buses and at tram
stops and the initial auto top-up instruction can be picked up at tram stops
as well as tube and DLR stations (I'm not sure if season tickets and other
PAYG top-up can also be picked up at tram stops).

Of course if you don't ever use PAYG on tube, DLR or trams then that doesn't
really help much. You are probably best of adding funds at one of the very
many Oyster enabled 'Ticket Stop' shops around Greater London.

I believe you can also now order Oyster cards online that are already
enabled with the auto top-up instruction. You might like to look at that.

G.

Old August 15th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just looking at adding an auto top up on my PAYG, but it asks for which
station do I want to use. As I don't have a tube near me, I will only be
using buses. Should I just put a default station e.g. Waterloo?

Is there any confirmation about these changes?

Thanks

p.s. also, why is it I cannot use a more normal username on the website?
e.g. my email address?

Old August 15th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm just looking at adding an auto top up on my PAYG, but it asks for
which station do I want to use. As I don't have a tube near me, I will
only be using buses. Should I just put a default station e.g. Waterloo?

Your Oyster card needs to be tweaked so that it is recognised as having auto
top-up enabled. In order for this to happen you have to nominate a tube or
DLR station or a tram stop where you will be know you will be using your
Oyster within the next week and it is that which you are being asked for.
When you validate your Oyster on entry to that station your PAYG balance
will be topped up by an amount you nominate when you order auto top-up (you
have to buy some 'manual' top-up at the same time as ordering auto top-up
for some reason) and your Oyster card will be programmed with the auto
top-up instruction. From then on auto top-up will work for you.

The gotcha is, of course, that if you aren't intending to make a tube, DLR
or tram journey using Oyster then you can't get the auto top-up on your
existing card. I had this problem but because I was using the tube now and
again, only with a paper travelcard, I was able to make a short journey
using the Oyster card and get it programmed (and because there was a free
£10 top-up promotion at the time it didn't actually cost me anything).
Another option I know quite a few people use is to touch in at their
nominated station so the card gets programmed and then go straight to the
ticket office and get the journey cancelled.

I seem to remember that TfL belatedly realised this is a bit of a stopper
and that you can now order Oyster cards online with the auto top-up already
enabled. So it might be easiest to just get a new one. Unless of course I
was just dreaming that bit.

Old August 15th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:28:26 +0100, elyob wrote:

I'm just looking at adding an auto top up on my PAYG, but it asks for which
station do I want to use. As I don't have a tube near me, I will only be
using buses. Should I just put a default station e.g. Waterloo?

Only if you're prepared to actually visit Waterloo and touch the
barriers there to collect the auto-top-up instruction.
Old August 15th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message
I'm just looking at adding an auto top up on my PAYG, but it asks for
which station do I want to use. As I don't have a tube near me, I will
only be using buses. Should I just put a default station e.g. Waterloo?

Another option I know quite a few people use is to touch in at their
nominated station so the card gets programmed and then go straight to the
ticket office and get the journey cancelled.

I seem to remember that TfL belatedly realised this is a bit of a stopper
and that you can now order Oyster cards online with the auto top-up
already enabled. So it might be easiest to just get a new one. Unless of
course I was just dreaming that bit.

I could go for a bike ride over to Richmond, it's a bike ride I often do for
leisure, but I've no use for Oyster on tube etc as I always end up getting a
travelcard and train it into town. So, can get another card or do the turn
up and cancel. Is it possible to redeem my old one (£3 deposit) and transfer
the credit to my new one?