Old August 27th 06, 02:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Journey Planner - how dare you walk, while we use your money to fill the streets with empty buses!

James Farrar wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:46:27 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

They've now pretty much disabled walking routes, the *******s.

Really? I just put in a start point of Paddington and an end point of
my office (Great Portland Street) and it gave me, as the fifth option,
"Walk" (37 min, though I invariably cover it in less than 30).

It seems to be working again. Hmmmmm.

Old August 27th 06, 02:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Frimberley wrote:

Surely anyone with half a brain would consult something like
streetmap.co.uk if they wanted a walking route between points they
know to be less than 20 minutes apart.

Streetmap doesn't give walking routes AFAIK.

You are being unnecessarily facetious.

If so, I'm not alone.

Old August 27th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 03:32:56 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Peter Frimberley wrote:

Surely anyone with half a brain would consult something like
streetmap.co.uk if they wanted a walking route between points they
know to be less than 20 minutes apart.

Streetmap doesn't give walking routes AFAIK.

Of course it does, you just glance at the streets shown and see which
ones lie roughly along the straight line connecting the two points you
wish to travel between. Dead End streets are also shown as such if you
look closely. If your two points are so far apart that they can't fit
on one screen of streetmap.co.uk then MOST people aren't going to walk
that journey.

Or have people forgotten how to read simple maps so that they need a
website to find a route for them? Blimey.

You are being unnecessarily facetious.

If so, I'm not alone.

It's a public TRANSPORT website. Walking isn't a method of public
transport - it's a method of SELF transport. You are complaining about
it not doing something that really isn't in it's remit. The fact that
it may formerly have given some walking directions is irrelevant; as
of today, it tells people what public transport to get, and that's all
it needs to do.

If you are serious about needing a website to give you a route between
two nearby points, then try htt://www.viamichelin.com - there you can
set "on foot" or "on bike" as the method of travel. It's route-finding
engine may be based on roads that cars can drive down though, so I
wouldn't be surprised if it misses some handy cut-throughs that are
pedestrian only.
Old August 27th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

You are being unnecessarily facetious.

If so, I'm not alone.

It's a public TRANSPORT website. Walking isn't a method of public
transport - it's a method of SELF transport. You are complaining about
it not doing something that really isn't in it's remit. The fact that
it may formerly have given some walking directions is irrelevant; as
of today, it tells people what public transport to get, and that's all
it needs to do.

I'm afraid I don't agree - the Journey Planner has functionality for
what might be termed "environment friendly" ways of getting about. The
Mayor's Transport Strategy includes the active promotion of cycling and
walking as valid ways of getting about London. Therefore Journey
Planner covers those *as well as* public transport which is obviously
the largest part of its functionality. An integrated approach to
transport provision must include walking and cycling to make any sense
at all. Here's a brief article on an American city viewed by a Tory
politician.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/4794361.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/5252962.stm

and watch the Transport in Portland clip - excellent stuff.

TfL would not have provided Walking Maps and Cycling Maps of London if
it was solely interested in public transport to the exclusion of
everything else.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/walking/home.shtml
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/

--
Paul C

Old August 28th 06, 04:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Frimberley wrote:

Or have people forgotten how to read simple maps so that
they need a website to find a route for them? Blimey.

Can you accurately guess the shortest walking route from Barham Close HA0 to
Hollycroft Avenue HA9, just by looking at a map? How about the shortest
walking route from Kilburn High Road station to Tottenham Court Road
station?

I know someone who walked from Kilburn to the British Library and back, 5
days a week for at least five years. I hope he took the correct route.

Old August 28th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Peter Frimberley wrote:

Or have people forgotten how to read simple maps so that
they need a website to find a route for them? Blimey.

Can you accurately guess the shortest walking route from Barham Close HA0 to
Hollycroft Avenue HA9, just by looking at a map? How about the shortest
walking route from Kilburn High Road station to Tottenham Court Road
station?

My general rule of thumb is that in the rush hour then anything less
than a
half a mile is quicker on foot. Anything more is usually faster by
public transport
or car. Unless theres a really bad traffic jam.

B2003

Old August 28th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Peter Frimberley wrote:

Or have people forgotten how to read simple maps so that
they need a website to find a route for them? Blimey.

Can you accurately guess the shortest walking route from Barham Close HA0
to Hollycroft Avenue HA9, just by looking at a map? How about the shortest
walking route from Kilburn High Road station to Tottenham Court Road
station?

Hollycroft Av, Forty Av, Wembley Hill Rd, Park Lane, High Rd, Harrow Rd,
Bridgewater Rd, Barham Cl.

Edgware Road to Marble Arch then along Oxford Street.

That was fairly straightforward, do I win a prize?

I know someone who walked from Kilburn to the British Library and back, 5
days a week for at least five years. I hope he took the correct route.

I am sure that in 5 years he had worked out the quickest route for himself
without having to rely on the TfL Journey Planner.

Peter Smyth

Old August 28th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Smyth
writes

Peter Frimberley wrote:

Or have people forgotten how to read simple maps so that
they need a website to find a route for them? Blimey.

Can you accurately guess the shortest walking route from Barham Close HA0
to Hollycroft Avenue HA9, just by looking at a map? How about the shortest
walking route from Kilburn High Road station to Tottenham Court Road
station?

Hollycroft Av, Forty Av, Wembley Hill Rd, Park Lane, High Rd, Harrow Rd,
Bridgewater Rd, Barham Cl.

Edgware Road to Marble Arch then along Oxford Street.

That was fairly straightforward, do I win a prize?

I know someone who walked from Kilburn to the British Library and back, 5
days a week for at least five years. I hope he took the correct route.

I am sure that in 5 years he had worked out the quickest route for himself
without having to rely on the TfL Journey Planner.

I find, the real advantage for walking routes is when travelling in
unfamiliar areas and making changes between bus routes which don't stop
at the same bus stop, though I agree that Journey Planner does seem to
like waiting for buses at identified times where walking will do the
same job; that's why computers haven't replaced people... yet

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old September 5th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hollycroft Av, Forty Av, Wembley Hill Rd, Park Lane, High Rd, Harrow Rd,
Bridgewater Rd, Barham Cl.

although streetmap may have not shown some footbridges or alleyways.
They usually do though. I guess there are no footbridges that either
let you use Barham Park as a shortcut or cross between St John's Road
and Lancelot Road.

Edgware Road to Marble Arch then along Oxford Street.

Unless you cut diagonally across Regents Park.