Old September 2nd 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New victoria line trains

Barry Salter wrote:
Plus people actually like to be able to look out of the windows, at
least on the surface sections that make up over 50% of the LU network.

I bet they like windows even on the underground bits, as it seems to
make people feel safe if they can see their environment.

A Concorde pilot once gave a speech saying that any future supersonic
plane should probably not have windows as they produce so much wind
resistance and weaken the shell. Even the pilots could potentially do
without, opting to use cameras (which could also give passengers a view
of outside) to see.

It wouldn't happen because nobody would feel safe (even I figured the
cockpit bit might be a step too far), even though the windows aren't
actually 'useful' for passengers.

Jonathan

Old September 3rd 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Christian Hansen wrote:
I believe that Chicago and New York have tacked on "Doors open on the
(left/right)" to their announcements.

Not New York, unless there's something about the brand new R-160 cars
(which first entered their testing phase and were then pulled from
testing both while I was in London) that I'm unaware of.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old September 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, John
B writes

I don't think I've ever been on a Vic train where the announcements
have gone wrong (and barely ever one where they've been dead), and I've
been commuting daily on the Vic for the last two years. I agree this
can vary - I've heard things go wrong on the District, and the one on
the Picc is pretty much never in service.

Plus people actually like to be able to look out of the windows, at
least on the surface sections that make up over 50% of the LU network.

Not on the Vic it doesn't - unless people are stowing away on
out-of-service trains to Northumberland Park...

In which case, the ahem driver would be in deep trouble if a passenger
could see out of the window.