Old September 19th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Suspected Scam Oyster on Buses

In message . com, Neil
Williams writes
MIG wrote:

I think I'd prefer that it only allowed one person to use the card and
simply didn't allow a second touch within a time limit, rather than it
charge me twice if I accidentally touched twice while getting on.

Time limits on their own cause trouble, in case a connection is made
within that limit. Better would be a time limit for use in a reader
with the same serial number.

From my riding on the buses and my general interest, I think I have
gleaned that once a pre-pay card is validated on a bus it is valid for
that unique journey only. When the driver commences a new journey, by
putting all the information into the ticket machine at the start of that
run, it would then accept the card again as being a different journey.

Old September 19th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in
:

In message . com, Neil
Williams writes
MIG wrote:

I think I'd prefer that it only allowed one person to use the card and
simply didn't allow a second touch within a time limit, rather than it
charge me twice if I accidentally touched twice while getting on.

Time limits on their own cause trouble, in case a connection is made
within that limit. Better would be a time limit for use in a reader
with the same serial number.

From my riding on the buses and my general interest, I think I have
gleaned that once a pre-pay card is validated on a bus it is valid for
that unique journey only. When the driver commences a new journey, by
putting all the information into the ticket machine at the start of that
run, it would then accept the card again as being a different journey.

It seems to be more intelligent than that. Having found (after touching in)
that a bus I was on was terminating at the next stop, I was not charged
when I touched in on the following bus in order to complete my journey - I
forget what message the machine displayed, but it made sense at the time.
It looks to me like it's a combination of route (+ direction?) and time
that determines how you're charged.

D A Stocks