London Banter

-   -   Ticketless Buses Zone 1? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/452-ticketless-buses-zone-1-a.html)

Jonn Elledge August 2nd 03 01:18 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

"Mait001" wrote in message

And for the "back of the queue", what about:
- those stupid enough not to have a prepaid ticket
- the unemployed
- pensioners
- tourists

I've been keeping quiet on this debate, and following Marc's snobbery with
the same amusement it normally gievs me, but I really had to speak out as
this is by my count the third insulting comment made about the unemployed.

What exactly is your problem with people who don't have a job? I don't have
one at present, though I have had for most of the last year since leaving
university; however, because of the current state of the graduate job market
(eg practically non-existant, especially in the sectors I'm interested in)
I've not settled on one.

When I've been working, I've always paid tax; when I've not, I've never
claimed the dole or any other benefit. I pay rent and support myself based
on what I've earnt and my savings. So I object to being told that I'm
somehow worthless because I don't have a job right now.

On the other hand, if I was a lot less lucky than I am, and didn't have a
job not because I was arrogantly waiting for one I really fancied but
because I'd grown up on a ****ty estate in Peckham and so had bugger all
education and prospects, I'd frankly still object to that implication.

Frankly I think that comment was pretty offensive however it's viewed.

Jnon