London Banter

-   -   Credit cards (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4524-credit-cards.html)

[email protected] September 23rd 06 05:17 PM

Credit cards

If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

Dr Ivan D. Reid September 23rd 06 07:36 PM

Credit cards

On 23 Sep 2006 10:17:34 -0700,

wrote in . com:
If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

Unless something's changed the machine should work, tho' I always
used my debit card rather than my credit card. Last time I topped up my
Oyster I had to use my PIN so I guess credit cards are catered for too.
Hmm, assuming you've got a chip-'n'-PIN card.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.

Paul Corfield September 23rd 06 09:06 PM

Credit cards

On 23 Sep 2006 10:17:34 -0700, "
wrote:

If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

The touch screen machine should sell you that ticket.
--
Paul C

David of Broadway September 25th 06 02:08 AM

Credit cards

wrote:
If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

I recall that you may be posting from the U.S. (Ignore this post if I'm
wrong.) I had problems convincing some of the ticket machines to accept
my U.S. credit card, since the U.S. hasn't adopted chip-and-PIN.

But the human ticket agents accept credit cards, including those issued
in the U.S.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Helen Deborah Vecht September 25th 06 08:03 AM

Credit cards

David of Broadway typed

wrote:
If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

I recall that you may be posting from the U.S. (Ignore this post if I'm
wrong.) I had problems convincing some of the ticket machines to accept
my U.S. credit card, since the U.S. hasn't adopted chip-and-PIN.

But the human ticket agents accept credit cards, including those issued
in the U.S.

Given the relatively trivial price of this ticket (£4.30) might you not
be better off paying cash? The machines can (sometimes) change large
notes and you will need to have some loose change for casual purchases
sooner or later.

It might make sense to break up a large note at an airport shop before
facing the Tube.

(You can then keep most of your valuables secure and have small change
and your Travelcard handy & accessible.)

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

David of Broadway September 25th 06 10:08 AM

Credit cards

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
David of Broadway typed

wrote:
If i buy a 1 day 2-6 off peak ticket at Heathrow can i use a machine or
do i have to go to the ticket seller ?

I recall that you may be posting from the U.S. (Ignore this post if I'm
wrong.) I had problems convincing some of the ticket machines to accept
my U.S. credit card, since the U.S. hasn't adopted chip-and-PIN.

But the human ticket agents accept credit cards, including those issued
in the U.S.

Given the relatively trivial price of this ticket (£4.30) might you not
be better off paying cash? The machines can (sometimes) change large
notes and you will need to have some loose change for casual purchases
sooner or later.

Some people, myself included, find cash an unnecessary hassle to deal
with where credit cards are accepted. I use credit cards wherever
possible, /especially/ while traveling, simply to avoid the hassle.

Also, some people may face smaller fees with credit cards than with ATM
cards. (Not I -- neither my credit cards nor my ATM card charge fees.)

FWIW: When I arrived at Heathrow, I withdrew £100 from my bank account.
When I left three weeks later, I still had cash left over. I paid for
nearly everything by credit card. And now that the bill has arrived, I
not only have a nearly day-by-day reminder of where I've been, I even
have a day-by-day account of the exchange rate (which, unfortunately, is
unwaveringly depressing from beginning to end).

Given the subject line of this thread, I assume that, for whatever
reason, the OP would like to pay by credit card.

It might make sense to break up a large note at an airport shop before
facing the Tube.

I'm not willing to pay the prices that airport shops charge. I'm
certainly not going to buy something just so I can end up with a
different form of cash. I have a credit card, thank you very much.

(You can then keep most of your valuables secure and have small change
and your Travelcard handy & accessible.)

(scratches head) What valuables am I keeping insecure by using a credit
card?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Jim September 25th 06 01:17 PM

Credit cards

"David of Broadway" wrote in message
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
David of Broadway typed

wrote:
[...]

So the actual exchange rates on your credit card statement are no higher
than the interbank rates for that day? You can check he

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

Neil Williams September 25th 06 01:40 PM

Credit cards

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Given the relatively trivial price of this ticket (£4.30) might you not
be better off paying cash?

Or, put differently, since you are able to pay by credit card why not
do so?

If the OP is drawing cash using a cash card, IMX the rate/charges are
usually poorer than those provided by credit cards.

Neil

Helen Deborah Vecht September 25th 06 02:14 PM

Credit cards

David of Broadway typed

(scratches head) What valuables am I keeping insecure by using a credit
card?

The credit card itself, and possibly the wallet in which you keep it,
which may contain other valuables.

I keep my CCs well out of reach when on the Tube, but keep my tickets handy.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

[email protected] September 25th 06 08:15 PM

Credit cards

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
David of Broadway typed

(scratches head) What valuables am I keeping insecure by using a credit
card?

The credit card itself, and possibly the wallet in which you keep it,
which may contain other valuables.

I keep my CCs well out of reach when on the Tube, but keep my tickets handy.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

I Have 6 pounds in cash I dont want to exchange money i need 2 pounds
for the bus to Heathrow and will prolly use the other 4 pounds for
restaurant tips my transfer to the qe2 is paid so credit card is best
way especially since ill get air miles on it

BTW how are you feeling ?