Old October 6th 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The M40 terminus

Dave Arquati wrote:

Colum Mylod wrote:
On 5 Oct 2006 15:42:40 -0700, "Marratxi"
wrote:

Houses alongside that section of the A40 were compulsorily purchased to
permit that widening. Anybody know if they were sold back or sold to
other people or are they just left empty ?

There is a massive amount of construction going on between White City
and Savoy Circus, and some to Gipsy Corner. Looks like HA
construction as it's not the usual box concrete of the "throw it up
and sell" brigade but that's a guess. They're building right to the
pavement too. Wonder what pollution numbers are like there?

Correct, I think it's Shepherd's Bush Housing Association. The flats
being built next to the A40 are meant to have some sort of filtering
system to avoid sucking in pollution from the road. The glass sections
in the middle contain a winter garden.

A lot of brownfield sites are being filled in by HAs: witness the
Ladbroke Grove/Harrow Road corners with flats right at the junctions.

There's a big part of me that says that building housing on sites right
next to busy roads is a bit wrong, regardless of whatever remedial
measures are taken.

Old October 6th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Dr. Sunil wrote:

(snip)

Have a look at:
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/ring...nradials.shtml

regards,
Sunil

Totally off topic but is this the famous Sunil of 'covered every line
in zones 1-4' fame? I've only become a usenaut fairly recently but
courtesy of a time travelling machine called Google I've read much
about your past exploits - perhaps I should expand on that a little for
those who're slightly curious as to what I mean - your past London
transport exploration exploits.

Yes it is! Although during season 1999-2000 I covered everything within
the M25. And newer stuff like the Docklands LCY extension last
Christmas.
I haven't spent much time on here in recent years because I'm now in
Cambridge, though will be moving on again come next Summer.