London Banter

-   -   Unstaffed LU Stations (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4576-unstaffed-lu-stations.html)

[email protected] October 10th 06 09:53 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

Are there any LU stations which are completely unstaffed? I know that
there are some with no staffed ticket offices but unsure whether they
retain any other staff?
--
gordon

John B October 11th 06 07:50 AM

Unstaffed LU Stations

wrote:
Are there any LU stations which are completely unstaffed? I know that
there are some with no staffed ticket offices but unsure whether they
retain any other staff?

Only the smaller Silverlink-managed stations on the Bakerloo. All
LUL-managed stations are staffed at all times (as will be all London
Overground stations, apparently).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

chunky munky October 11th 06 09:00 AM

Unstaffed LU Stations

There are often lots of open unstaffed stations. This is because of the
staff cuts under the Shorter Working Week Project. Stations with sets
of points/fire alarm systems/other staff that book on nearby are
attempted to be staffed. This must be by someone Supervisor grade and
above.

Sherrif Ken said after Tom Ap Rhys Price was murdered at Kensal that no
station would go unstaffed......well....

Peter Smyth October 11th 06 04:58 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

"John B" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
Are there any LU stations which are completely unstaffed? I know that
there are some with no staffed ticket offices but unsure whether they
retain any other staff?

Only the smaller Silverlink-managed stations on the Bakerloo. All
LUL-managed stations are staffed at all times (as will be all London
Overground stations, apparently).

Even Roding Valley?

Peter Smyth

MIG October 11th 06 06:46 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

John B wrote:
wrote:
Are there any LU stations which are completely unstaffed? I know that
there are some with no staffed ticket offices but unsure whether they
retain any other staff?

Only the smaller Silverlink-managed stations on the Bakerloo. All
LUL-managed stations are staffed at all times (as will be all London
Overground stations, apparently).

I didn't know that, but it leaves out other non-LUL stations served by
LU which are sometimes unstaffed, like I'm sure New Cross Gate often
is. What about Gunnersbury etc?

Ken October 11th 06 09:27 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

On 11 Oct 2006 02:00:05 -0700, "chunky munky"
wrote:

There are often lots of open unstaffed stations. This is because of the
staff cuts under the Shorter Working Week Project. Stations with sets
of points/fire alarm systems/other staff that book on nearby are
attempted to be staffed. This must be by someone Supervisor grade and
above.

Sherrif Ken said after Tom Ap Rhys Price was murdered at Kensal that no
station would go unstaffed......well....

But Kensal Green's a Silverlink-managed station, not LU.

[email protected] October 12th 06 08:34 AM

Unstaffed LU Stations

MIG wrote:
I didn't know that, but it leaves out other non-LUL stations served by
LU which are sometimes unstaffed, like I'm sure New Cross Gate often
is. What about Gunnersbury etc?

Exactly; what does "unstaffed" actually mean? New Cross ticket office
is shut after 8pm on weeknights (meaning no access to the only free
cashpoint in the area and passengers having to leave the station via a
narrow alleyway), but there are still staff there in the control room,
visible but inaccessible to passengers. Does that count as staffed or
unstaffed? And yes, I know it's not an LUL station.

Patricl

John Rowland October 12th 06 01:29 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

wrote:

there are still staff there snip
Does that count as staffed or unstaffed?

Errrr....

[email protected] October 12th 06 02:54 PM

Unstaffed LU Stations

John Rowland wrote:
wrote:

there are still staff there snip
Does that count as staffed or unstaffed?

Errrr....

Judicious snipping alert!

For those who need everything spelt out, if a station has staff there,
but they are "inaccessible to passengers", that, in my opinion, is
hardly the same thing as an open ticket office & ticket hall.

Patrick

[email protected] October 14th 06 09:24 AM

Unstaffed LU Stations

wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
wrote:

there are still staff there snip
Does that count as staffed or unstaffed?

Errrr....

Judicious snipping alert!

For those who need everything spelt out, if a station has staff there,
but they are "inaccessible to passengers", that, in my opinion, is
hardly the same thing as an open ticket office & ticket hall.

Patrick

All London Underground stations are staffed 24/7, except for possibly
Christmas Day when the network closes down, and Boxing Day for some
stations. A supervisor is on site at all times, for reasons of
security, and to allow contractors on site to do their nightly works.

Of course, once the ticket office closes you may well not see the
staff, but it doesn't mean they're not there watching over things.