Old October 27th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford to North Woolwich

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:10:19 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

I'm not sure if it is deliberate or not, but I find it daft that the JP
offers a journey that starts earlier and finishes later than the next
one on its list, which is why that 48-minute journey shouldn't have been
included. But it's a general feature of the JP, not just NLL-related.

I think it's a good thing. The JP can be slightly inaccurate about
timings (particularly as it assumes buses and Tube trains run strictly
according to the Working Timetable, rather than just semi-randomly
arriving about every x minutes), so I prefer it to offer some
alternatives, allowing me to add some human intelligence in choosing
the best and/or most reliable.

There is a bias about the Silverlink south of Stratford on the
site. It even gives as an option waiting 18 minutes (why?) for a
Jubilee Line, missing the Silverlink from Canning Town and then
getting the later Silverlink from Stratford.

I noticed something similar to this a few months ago. I was putting in
journeys like Wembley Central to King's Cross, to compare journey
times between the Bakerloo and Silverlink. I happen to know that
Silverlink to Euston is the fastest way. But the planner always showed
this route to be slower, if it even suggested it at all.

On closer investigation, this was because it was under-estimating the
Bakerloo journey time (one journey had you stepping off a Bakerloo at
Paddington, and 2 minutes later, boarding an eastbound Circle Line
train! - see WTT comment above), and over-estimating the Silverlink
journey time (it counts the "charter minutes" that are added in the
timetable at Euston - which is fair enough, as the JP only has the NR
timetable to go on - but it also adds a full 10 minutes on top for the
interchange at Euston).

No doubt I'll be adding fuel to your conspiracy theory by pointing out
that TfL want to scrap the Silverlink Metro service to Euston. ;-)