London Banter

-   -   Brent Terrace, Cricklewood - a bit backward! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/465-brent-terrace-cricklewood-bit-backward.html)

Ben Nunn August 4th 03 12:36 PM

Brent Terrace, Cricklewood - a bit backward!

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was John Rowland
), in message
who said:
Hi all,

I discovered Brent Terrace (the Cricklewood end) this afternoon. Most
of the east side has no houses. The houses on the west side are all
built backwards, with their back gardens facing the road, and their
fronts facing the railway. The only explanation I can think of is
that there was originally a road where the railway sidings are now,
and when this old road was removed, Brent Terrace was built as a
substitute access for the already existing houses. Does anyone know
the real story?

Horizontal Subsidence.

The houses were originally facing the east side of the road in the
conventional fashion, but 'sank' several yards westwards in the 1970s.
Although all the buildings have now successfully crossed the road, any
further subsidence will see them fouling the railway tracks, which would
result in a deeply unsatisfactory situation.

It's a well-documented problem, plagued Brent council for years.

BTN

Helen Deborah Vecht August 5th 03 03:05 AM

Brent Terrace, Cricklewood - a bit backward!

Thus spake "Ben Nunn"

who said:
[...]

Umm.. isn't (Midland) Brent Terrace in LB Barnet?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Ben Nunn August 5th 03 10:40 AM

Brent Terrace, Cricklewood - a bit backward!

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Helen Deborah Vecht
), in message
who said:

Horizontal Subsidence.

The houses were originally facing the east side of the road in the
conventional fashion, but 'sank' several yards westwards in the
1970s. Although all the buildings have now successfully crossed the
road, any further subsidence will see them fouling the railway
tracks, which would result in a deeply unsatisfactory situation.

It's a well-documented problem, plagued Brent council for years.

Umm.. isn't (Midland) Brent Terrace in LB Barnet?

Well it might be /now/.

Horizontal Subsidence is a serious problem.

BTN