London Banter

-   -   Waterloo Air Terminal (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4650-waterloo-air-terminal.html)

Neil Hitchens November 1st 06 03:22 PM

Waterloo Air Terminal

I was just wondering if there is a potted history of this anywhere. I saw a
picture of it in a fairly recent book - but was wondering what happened to
this, when did it operate form and until, that sort of thing.

[email protected] November 1st 06 04:56 PM

Waterloo Air Terminal

Neil Hitchens wrote:
I was just wondering if there is a potted history of this anywhere. I saw a
picture of it in a fairly recent book - but was wondering what happened to
this, when did it operate form and until, that sort of thing.

From http://www.bamuseum.com/museumhistory50-60.html

It opened 19 May 1953 as Kensington Air Station closed

Thats all I really found from a quick search, and I'm personally not
too interested, but I'm sitting here so I thought I'd look it up.

[email protected] November 1st 06 05:25 PM

Waterloo Air Terminal

Neil Hitchens wrote:
I was just wondering if there is a potted history of this anywhere. I saw a
picture of it in a fairly recent book - but was wondering what happened to
this, when did it operate form and until, that sort of thing.

There are a few nice pictures of it in the recent Ian Allan book
"Bygone London".

Marc.

Peter Lawrence November 5th 06 05:41 PM

Waterloo Air Terminal

From http://www.bamuseum.com/museumhistory50-60.html

It opened 19 May 1953 as Kensington Air Station closed

Thats all I really found from a quick search, and I'm personally not
too interested, but I'm sitting here so I thought I'd look it up.

I believe the terminal was in a building left over from the 1951
Festival of Britain, possibly the ticket office, which was later
demolished to make way for the Shell building. This building
incorporated the South Bank tube entrance.

It presumably closed 6 October 1957 when West Loondon Air terminal
opened (and the South Bank tube entrance also closed).

--
Peter Lawrence