Old November 10th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dealing with failed LU trains

If an LU train fails between stations and comes to a stand do following
trains successively apply the "stop and proceed" rule leading to an
enormous queue of trains with minimal distance between each one? Does
the train immediately behind the failed train shunt the failed train to
the next station and subsequently to the depot? Is it feasible that the
train behind the failure could be incompatible with the failed train in
which case what happens then?

--
gordon

Old November 10th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
If an LU train fails between stations and comes to a stand do following
trains successively apply the "stop and proceed" rule leading to an
enormous queue of trains with minimal distance between each one? Does
the train immediately behind the failed train shunt the failed train to
the next station and subsequently to the depot? Is it feasible that the
train behind the failure could be incompatible with the failed train in
which case what happens then?

--
gordon

If memory serves me correct:

A 6 car LU train actually has 3 or 4 motor cars, and at least 3 conductors,
and a similar number of redundant pneumatic braking systems.

So given that the most likely cause of failure would be 1 out of 3 or 4
parts of the system, I understand a driver can simply toggle off a failed
motor or compressor, and hence limp back to a depot.

I was once on a District line train where the motor in the second last car
(in front of me) caught fire bellowing out toxic black smoke. I decided to
wait until we got to the station before pressing the alarm. (I didn't fancy
being stranded between stations with smoke heading my way.)

The driver simply turned off the burnt out motor by opening a service hatch
and turning a lever, and then drove back to the depot.

I would think the most likely scenario to jam up the tube would be "signal
failure", power grid problems (given our third world approach to power
continuity), or broken track.

I would think a driver would know by feel and by gauges if there were
compressor / brake pressure leakages or voltage problems and go out of
service as soon as he suspected the merest problem.

Old November 10th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
writes
If an LU train fails between stations and comes to a stand do following
trains successively apply the "stop and proceed" rule leading to an
enormous queue of trains with minimal distance between each one? Does
the train immediately behind the failed train shunt the failed train to
the next station and subsequently to the depot? Is it feasible that the
train behind the failure could be incompatible with the failed train in
which case what happens then?

It depends.

It all depends on what the problem is and how long it is likely to cause
the shut down. Usually, the controller will instruct following trains
to wait in platforms once he has been advised of the problem.

If the incident is going to take some time to deal with then some
trains will be reversed in the opposite direction to get them out of the
way. Trains following up further away may well be put away in depots
before they get anywhere near the scene. Any trains stuck in tunnels
will generally 'apply the rule' to get into a platform to allow
passengers to leave. This may involve a train stood in a platform
leaving empty and standing in the tunnel to allow a full train to enter.

There are a lot of options open to the Line Controllers and they will
make the decision what to do as the event unfolds.

As a last resort, the following train could be used to 'push out' the
failed train but that is very unlikely to happen as a fitter will be
brought down from a depot to deal with it where it is.
Old November 11th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ahh yes Steve, Fitters who know "everything about their stock" they
ALWAYS know how to get the train moving!

Old November 13th 06, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Heracles Pollux wrote:
I was once on a District line train where the motor in the second last car
(in front of me) caught fire bellowing out toxic black smoke. I decided to
wait until we got to the station before pressing the alarm. (I didn't fancy
being stranded between stations with smoke heading my way.)

I thought it was policy to always continue to the next station ("where
help can be more easily given") if the alarm cord was pulled.

Patrick